Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

F^ my life and DirectTV

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default F^ my life and DirectTV

I know it's weird to post something like this on Scion Life but I am at my wits end with this garbage of a service and I wish for everyone to stay clear from them.

About 3 months ago my cable bill; soared to a point where we could not afford the bundle from Comcast anymore. We where furious and upset we decided to go with another company for our entertainment needs. We picked DirectTV to be our new provider when we signed up for them I made myself very clear I wanted the "RTP" channel, Portuguese out of Lisbon Portugal. They did not list this channel on their site so I figured I would call and ask to make sure they did not. They told me THEY DID so I ordered the international package for $35- with Portuguese including my local channels and crap. When install day came they installed TWO dishes one for international programming and the other for my regular channels which i completely understand.

The installers who came to my house had no clue what they where doing once the dish was installed they where almost dumbfounded how to aim the dish correctly. Took them almost a hour sitting there aiming my international dish!!! When everything was up and running I checked the channels and I nearly pooped a brick when I took a peek at our new Portuguese channels they where BRAZILIAN Portuguese exactly what I DID NOT WANT! basically they misled me to believe something they did not have and I ordered the international package as a result. Canceled that portion of my service day one, I had bad reception, channels kept coming in and out just some awful stuff. When I called the company for the first time I expressed how upset I was that I was told one thing and given another and they told me it was a misunderstanding over the phone, which would have made sense if I had not made it literally absolutely clear what I wanted.

Fast forward to now I get a bill not what I wanted! $80- as apposed to the agreed $35-. When I canceled the int. dish they had told me that I would have to pick a new plan and could not be in the international package anymore(again understandable) I just picked the normal $35- and called it a day. So why am I getting charged $80- this month out of nowhere. They told me there is a rebate to fill out I was never told about any rebate I had to enter when i activated my account. I tried to enter the rebate and it told me I was not illegible for the rebate. So i'm stuck paying a bill for an amount which was not agreed by me.

I was so mad at this point I wanted to cancel my account and was sent to a supervisor, waited 1hr on the phone and then sent to the cancellation department to explain my situation again and was told canceling my account would charge me $480- in cancellation fees LOL great awesome because I have all the money in the world for that.

If anyone wants to know why I waited over the 30days to cancel my service all together I was waiting for the installation of my new phone and internet service by fairpoint a local provider here partnered with DirectTV to ive me a triple play bundle which has a bundle with direct tv to be installed so I can get a further discount that was the only reason I picked DirectTv to begin with.

So who is going to take town the dish on my roof, I am who is going to fix the unnecessary damage to my roof, remember the int dish I never ended up using because...- they just don't care about that. great service from a nation wide television provider.

Just figured I would give fair warning about any service really be careful. contracts bite sometimes. Sorry if allot of this comes off as a long rant or whatever I needed something to do after all the time I was put on HOLD.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had trouble with direct tv before as well

the installer came out and was lazy and didnt want to work and said he needed to see my landlord in person b4 hed do anywork even though i had a paper from my landlord so he had to come out n i ordered a dvr receiver for my bed room he installed it in the living room and said he couldnt install it in my bedroom cause the crawlspae was to narrow he couldnt crawl under the one room? then 2 weeks later tjhe dvr quit working and had to send it back and got a normal reciever back but still charged for the dvr plus the price would vary every month?

would never go with them again
Old 05-09-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Srsly

I had six guys come to my house and install those two dishes. Now they are telling me If I want them down I have to take them down....by myself.....

it doesn't make any sense

Canceling my account would just kill my chances of getting my rims this year.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My neighbor had direct TV, they mounted the dish to the side of his house, right into his new paneling which he told them not to do. They did it anyways, so he left it. about 3 weeks later a nasty storm came in and ripped the dish off the house which in return took down parts of his new paneling. He's fighting a battle with them now cause it clearly states on the paperwork to mount the dish to his roof. Sounds like direct tv is a horrible company. I'll stick with Time Warner Cable.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

They mounted it on right it's just that I should not even have the 2nd dish on there to begin with. When they drilled the hole to send the wire inside the house they never added sealant around the cable wire so now I have a hole where the cable is and open to the elements where spiders and stuff gets in. Yeah I can fix it myself but that's not the point it should have been done right.

They told me I have to go down to Colorado to dispute my cancellation fee, or write them a letter. because they can't do anything for me where I called.....sounds like a great way to screw me over but I'm not falling for it. Have me cancel my service put a pending fee of 480 on my credit card write to them in Colorado because no way I can actually go there, have then deny my dispute and be stuck with a $480 fee on my card. If I cancel my account they win. So i'm leaving my account active for the time being and I plan to write a very long letter to them and try to get myself out of this garbage of a service.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow that sucks guys. I have dish network at my parents house in NY. Can't say that we've had too much trouble with them. They have two dishes on the roof too, one for the main programming and the other for the local channels and Polish channels. Each time we switch programming we just give them a buzz and they switch it on the fly through the phone no problems no questions asked nothing. I know my dad gets the regulars whenever I'm in town and I don't think he pays the full monthly fee for the weekend or week of use. Really my only complaint about Dish Network is that it does go out if theres a big T-Storm overhead but other then that it's fine. It works about 99% of the time. I gotta figure out what im gonna do for my house in FL. I'm thinkin Brighthouse Cable but idk.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

They are a Scion Life sponsor can we ban them for bad business practices? lol!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lmfao. ad blocker ftw.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U-3M...eature=related

I take it back, this guys did it by himself...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

who pays for satellite anymore??
Old 05-20-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I HATE DIRECT TV TOO! My bill went up 24 bucks since i got it about a year ago!.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by deathbyc4
who pays for satellite anymore??
I'm going to have to....

an update
I was finally eligible for the rebate I was promised for at the beginning of the service. Another unfair trick by DirectTv I could not fill out my rebate so they sent me a bill for the next month at full price and ofcourse the rebate I filled out last week takes 6-8 weeks to process so another month of full price. Funny how my first bill was set just fine at what I agreed to....

Just to let you guys know the rebate I had to fill out required me to agree DirectTv and it's cronies affiliates to send me "special offers" via email. What a very professional company right I have, sell my email address to make a buck...never thought a nationwide company would spam it's own customers to earn money thank god I have a good filter on my email so I won't get any junk email. Nowhere at any point was this mentioned at any time.

scumbags...

DirectTv FTMFL!!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work for Cablevision and we will pay your directTv penalty up to $200.00 bucks. Let me know if we are in your area I wouldn't mind helping a fellow scion owner
Old 05-28-2009, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Martillo_Azul
I work for Cablevision and we will pay your directTv penalty up to $200.00 bucks. Let me know if we are in your area I wouldn't mind helping a fellow scion owner
thanks I appreciate the offer but the termination fee is something over 400 dollars. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask for the person above the people I have been speaking to it's hard to believe that the number they give customers to get help is really useless.

but i've been wrong before I said to myself I did not think this company could make me any more angrier......
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Search into the mighty world of Free-To-Air television and you will find some interesting info. www ftaforall info Just add periods