Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

Prep charges or other unspecified costs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Prep charges or other unspecified costs?

Do dealers charge for prepping the car for delivery? I'm wondering because I went in this afternoon to fill out my paperwork, and going over everything, I see that the total for what is listed under accessories is $50 more than the sum of the cost of those accessories. I was trying to keep track while I was in with the finance guy, but every time I started adding, he started talking and asking me questions. Doc fees, title, etc. are already accounted for, so the extra $50 isn't for that. I know it's not much, but it kind of bothers me not knowing where this extra $50 is coming from. No mention was made of any prep charge.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Prep charges or other unspecified costs?

Originally Posted by PDM72
Do dealers charge for prepping the car for delivery? I'm wondering because I went in this afternoon to fill out my paperwork, and going over everything, I see that the total for what is listed under accessories is $50 more than the sum of the cost of those accessories. I was trying to keep track while I was in with the finance guy, but every time I started adding, he started talking and asking me questions. Doc fees, title, etc. are already accounted for, so the extra $50 isn't for that. I know it's not much, but it kind of bothers me not knowing where this extra $50 is coming from. No mention was made of any prep charge.
Dealing with these guys is like playing 3-Card Monte.

Tell the guy "Be quiet, listen to my question and answer it honestly, or the next thing you'll see is me walking out the door."

This guy obviously has no qualms about being impolite to you, so you shouldn't have any about being blunt with him. After all, it's _your_ money!

George
Old 09-14-2004, 12:38 AM
bc
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you already made the purchase? Go to their personal Scion website and add everything up, then check your buyers order. If anything does not match then you have a legit complaint that can be dealt with.

Please note, you have to verify the accessory pricing they post, they set the price, they do not have to match MSRP if they do not want to.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fortunately, it worked out fine. Turns out that the finance guy misread the sales associate's handwriting. I decided to get leather installed, so they just took the $50 off the price of that.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member

the way the scions work, everything is posted (which you know) and if you're buying something thats not on the website, like the leather, then it should be in the showroom somewhere.... If we get caught jackin up prices we lose our franchise, so if you catch someone doing it, tell on em and come see me!