Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

*****Keep your xB Sparkling Clean*****

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yanges,

thanx for asking! if you pm me i can give you his numbers. FYI-if your looking for someone to come to you, he has a "4 car minimum" policy...meaning you have to have at least 4 cars before he'll make a "house-call"...then again, in LA, people have at least 4 car's all day long :D and i don't believe you can get to him unless youre on one of these studio lots...

his studio work is ridiculous, and i think, is his concentration right now. he has some long standing clients that he serves with a mobile service, hence the 4 car min.

honestly the reason i dig his method is that i'm a lazy bas*ard, but his way is so easy. i have two cars i maintain like this (xB and my AMG)...i send wifey's to the car wash
Old 12-31-2003, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey, Yanges,

Sorry to hear about the arthritis - that is a tough cross to bear. I bet one of the detail guys in town would put the 5 Star Shine on for you, once they see how easy it is. Maybe they would just charge the same as a hand wash and wax job... I think it would be good to have them go over the paint with the clay bar treatment first, though.
(Thx for the compliments on my XA. It's a kick to drive.)

I am not allowed to wash or work on my vehicle in any way at my home, which is in a condo association with very strict rules. When I wipe the dew off of my car in the morning, I always wonder if today is the day I will get a nasty letter, as if what I am doing is such a terrible thing. So I was interested in the acrylic finish because they made it sound like so much less work than constantly washing and waxing with carnuba, and the anti-static feature is attractive.

However, I wonder how long the finish stays "anti-static"... maybe that wears off and I need to look for an anti-static detail finish spray, like the one on the site for Winner's Choice.

I am also a little cynical... what kind of claims have been made over the teflon finishes out there, and yet we all have to keep our teflon coated cars waxed, right? Has someone out there actually tried out an acrylic finish product?

XB ey, dirt can become imbedded in your wax, so the only thing that worries me about not actually washing the car is scratching up the paint... besides, isn't it a good thing to strip the old wax and apply fresh every now and then?
Old 12-31-2003, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SCI FIRE
Hey, Yanges,

Sorry to hear about the arthritis - that is a tough cross to bear. I bet one of the detail guys in town would put the 5 Star Shine on for you, once they see how easy it is. Maybe they would just charge the same as a hand wash and wax job... I think it would be good to have them go over the paint with the clay bar treatment first, though.
(Thx for the compliments on my XA. It's a kick to drive.)
i talked to the guy i have used for years doing my cars and he was not into doing it himself....probably cause i would not need him to wax my xB so often!

but i really trust him with my car and i would find it difficult to go to someone new and let them work on my xB.....especially applying something that is supposed to last for so long....

i think using something like Meguire's products for your xA and getting a few good coats of good wax on there would be good for a base... i know they make some special stuff for dark cars also....
Old 12-31-2003, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah, maybe I better stick to the Winner's Choice line... with the ghost flames and all, if I had a car accident and had to repair, an acrylic coating might not be a good thing to have on there, eh?
Old 12-31-2003, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI FIRE

XB ey, dirt can become imbedded in your wax, so the only thing that worries me about not actually washing the car is scratching up the paint... besides, isn't it a good thing to strip the old wax and apply fresh every now and then?
sci fire...great question...like i said, there is a difference between dust and dirt. for example, due to the rain up here in NorCal, my box is DIRTY...therefore i will be using some soap to get it clean again...then immediately wax it. how i can tell my car has a nice coat of wax on it is i havent wiped it since the rain started, but i get that nice "ball-up" of water all over the car (know what i mean???). then when the rain goes away (sooner than later although we do need the water), i'll do what i mentioned above. i guess the point is, when clean, to build coats of wax on the surface which will make it easier to clean regularly, and give you some good protection from the elements when it gets dirty.

its just another way of doing things...
Old 12-31-2003, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

*nod*