Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

AEM Intake interference / noise problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AEM Intake interference / noise problem

I have seen two AEM intakes where there was an interference problem that caused an odd noise.

This seems to affect both xA and xB (I've seen it on one of each) and is reportedly caused by omission of a mounting spacer by the installer.

To check for this, follow the tube as it dips down toward the frame rail. There is a place where the tube runs close to a bracket that supports an airbag sensor. If the problem exists, you will see a "divot" in the aluminum intake where the bracket is digging into it. It is readily visible, but you might want to use a flashlight to see it easier.

The solution is simple, just take the car back to the installing dealer and have them install the proper spacer. I've also been told that this cures some rubbing issues with the filter.

George
Old 03-20-2004, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never had a problem with mine. prob. cuz i installed it myself!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionracerxb
never had a problem with mine. prob. cuz i installed it myself!
Apparently, the intake fits OK without the spacer, and an "experienced" installer who doesn't read the instructions would probably leave it out. The clearance seems sufficient until the car is started and put in gear, at which point the clearance goes to zero.

There is a lot to be said for doing it yourself. Inexperienced people tend to RTFM!

George
Old 03-22-2004, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The intake fits on the xA.

You will need a spacer for the xB if you have foglihts.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoCalbBox

As I understand it, you need the spacer for both xAs and xBs, to lower the tube so it doesn't rub against the air bag sensor bracket when the engine moves in its mounts under acceleration.

The problem is that, with the engine off, there is about a quarter inch of clearance without the spacer so the spacer is often omitted.

George
Old 03-22-2004, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

this might be why the AEM intake doesnt sit straight in the engine compartment?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by George

As I understand it, you need the spacer for both xAs and xBs, to lower the tube so it doesn't rub against the air bag sensor bracket when the engine moves in its mounts under acceleration.

The problem is that, with the engine off, there is about a quarter inch of clearance without the spacer so the spacer is often omitted.

George
The spacer is only for the xB. When tightening the bolt you need to make sure the pipes don't move. The spacer was added after the first release of the intake.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The spacer is only for the xB. When tightening the bolt you need to make sure the pipes don't move. The spacer was added after the first release of the intake.
I have an xA and the spacer IS needed. i have a divit in my CAI from the airbag sensor.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aimeeXa

I have an xA and the spacer IS needed. i have a divit in my CAI from the airbag sensor.
Can you post a picture?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Can you post a picture?
I'll take the pic...I'm not sure if it will come out...cause it is pretty far down there...and the xA engine compartment is a little tighter than the xB's...

One problem though...can someone host it for me?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by aimeeXa

Can you post a picture?
I'll take the pic...I'm not sure if it will come out...cause it is pretty far down there...and the xA engine compartment is a little tighter than the xB's...

One problem though...can someone host it for me?
i can host it
Old 03-22-2004, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't THINK I have an issue with this...but just for clarification...what does the spacer look like and where does it install?

There was a fairly thick (still less than .250) washer included with my kit that mounted between the transmission and intake mounting bracket. Is that the spacer?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Okay....Randy is going to host the pics for me...

In the pics you can't see the divit, it's more of a "feel" thing anyway. But the pics show where the airbag sensor hits the AEM
Old 03-22-2004, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Old 03-22-2004, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks Randy!
Old 03-23-2004, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking at your picture and the instructions pictures. In the instructions pictures you can rotate the pipe away from the bracket. I can't tell in your pictures.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Looking at your picture and the instructions pictures. In the instructions pictures you can rotate the pipe away from the bracket. I can't tell in your pictures.
I'm no mechanic....but this is a pretty narrow space, and i don't understand how any rotation would fix it. And what would you rotate....it's a perfectly circular tube...how would rotating solve anything? I've seen the fix to the problem...a xB had the exact same problem..and the missing bracket was installed...voila the airbag sensor was no longer hitting the pipe. Maybe i'm not explaining where the bracket goes...unfortunately i'm not a mechanic so I don't know the name of the parts. The bracket attaches below where the airbag sensor goes where the pipe turns so the pipe is parrallel to the ground...so the bracket is perpendicular to the ground....and it pushed the pipe down and away from the CAI. It also stops the filter interferring with the fog light...

Sorry I can't describe this any better....
Old 03-23-2004, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guys, I have an idea. They put the spacer in there for a reason, use it. "does need it" just makes you sound like you are the mechanic for bo and luke duke... hee haw...
Old 03-23-2004, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The main pipe pivots (rotates) on the bolt that holds it to the transmission. You can pivot the lead pipe on this bolt to maximize clearance with the air-bag sensor before tightening. Unfortunately, this reduces clearance between the back of the fog light on the XB and the filter element.

Someone please describe the "spacer" and where it fits. I want to make certain my kit came with one.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cameron
The main pipe pivots (rotates) on the bolt that holds it to the transmission. You can pivot the lead pipe on this bolt to maximize clearance with the air-bag sensor before tightening. Unfortunately, this reduces clearance between the back of the fog light on the XB and the filter element.

Someone please describe the "spacer" and where it fits. I want to make certain my kit came with one.
Exactly what I was referring to when trying to rotate the pipes. You rotate on the axis of the bolt. On the xA if you rotate the pipe you are fine, but on the xB you are not and there is a clearance issue if you have foglights. The spacer/washer goes inbetween the bracket and the body, so the pipe hangs lower and clears the foglights as well.

Quick Reply: AEM Intake interference / noise problem