Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Aftermarket Alarm = Warranty Void Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Aftermarket Alarm = Warranty Void Woes

I am a new owner of a great tC, but I have one issue when I was signing the papers.

I did not to have the Scion Security installed because I can get a much better security system for the same price but when I was in finance signing, of course the person asked if I would like to get the extended premium warranty and/or security system. I told him I did not want to and explained to my parents that I will get an aftermarket system. The person immediately said "It will void your warranty?"

I was a little shocked, so I reluctantly decided to have the "Scion Security" added believing he knew what he was talking about. I now wish I had done more research prior to adding it.

I have read on this forum about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and have read the Act myself. I went back to the dealer to speak with the finance person and I polietly asked what he meant. After being shrugged-off I told him that it was illegal based on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and that the only way having an aftermarket alarm installed would void the warranty on a particular part is if the alarm or installation directly caused the part to fail. He did not know what it was and said "how can you prove it [alarm/install] caused the failure".

Also, after looking over the paperwork and the Scion site, I see the "Scion Security" is priced at $469, but my work order shows "$599 Install Omega Alarm System (K225QA)." I can't recall exactly, but he said something about it being the same thing and that the price difference is THEIR pure price for the alarm.

After being disrespected, I blatantly told him I did not want the alarm installed and said I cannot change the contract and it is gone.

So, I am basically looking to see if people have suggestions as to what I can do. Who I should contact at the dealer. If the problem is with finance and changing the finance contract, I am willing to put that $599 to other accessories.

Thank you.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It doesn't seem that the dealer is going to be much help to you.
Try calling Scion Customer Service 1-866-70-SCION
Old 03-08-2006, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would call Scion corporate and explain to them that they are charging you for a different alarm and it's more than what you asked for. You asked for the Scion Security, not some other aftermarket alarm.

As for the warranty stuff, you're exactly right. I'm sure the dealer was just being a salesman and trying to scare you into buying the option from him. Can't blame him for trying to make a buck, but it just sucks that's how they are.

But ya, talk to Scion Corporate and tell them the dealer is screwing you. The pure price has nothing to do with the alarm, to my knowledge. But if you asked for the Scion Security, and they're giving you something else, that's where I think the problem is.

Dealers probably have their own discretion about what options they offer/install, but if it isn't Scion Security, you didn't ask for it.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

I contacted Scion Customer Care directly and the lady was very understanding. Unfortunately, she informed me I needed to contact a lady at my local dealer (my customer relations manager) to resolve the issue.

I went there yesterday and spoke to her and she was very helpful. I told her I would be happy with applying the amount of the alarm as credit to other accessories (which I said the fog light kit). She was fine with removing the alarm system (Omega, which she said was NOT the Scion Security) and that the finance "salesman" (who threw me all the lies) would be the only person to approve it. She saw the look on my face and said not to worry, I don't have to talk to him.

So she came back and said everything was OK. They had the fog light kit in stock and they will send a check for the remaining balance ($200) to Toyota Financial so I have less to pay for the vehicle.

I had the pedestal spoiler and fog light kit installed today and everything is great.

Thank you all for your recommendations and help.