Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Air Bag Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Air Bag Light

Well, Last week I installed my sway bars and for some reason I know have the srs Airbag light on.

I took it to my local toyota dealership to see if they could find the problem. They didn't, They told me that the sway bars were the cause of the problem and the only way to fix it would to put the factory bar in for a charge of $1300.

It is this high cause they would need to buy a new bar cause the one I took out could be damaged, what a load of crap.

Is there any way that I might be able to reset the computer to fix the problem, the sway bar in the front in know where near any airbag sensor, so I am sure that this cant be the cause of the problem.

Any help would be great.

Also, I took my box out on a canyon run yesterday, The handling is much better. now I just need some rubber to grip the road a little better.

Jason
Old 03-01-2004, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

That sux...

Did you try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it?
Old 03-01-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your dealership is ____ing with you.
I would ask for written reason why the sway bar would cause the air bad light to come on.
They have to prove that the sway bars are the casue of the light.
Good luck on thier part.
The sway bars should have no effect on the air bags.
The only way you could even come close to breaking the air bags if the sensors were unplugged. I would take it to another dealer and ask them.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ide say somthing got disconnected in the install.. I hate dealers tryin to scam some one..
Old 03-01-2004, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$1300??? WTF!!!???

bring it to other dealers....
when i had my accord, i brought back my car to dealer for alternator problem...they told me either my exhaust or HID cause the problem....and they gonna void my warranty....
Old 03-02-2004, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Air Bag Light

Originally Posted by Piston
Well, Last week I installed my sway bars and for some reason I know have the srs Airbag light on.

I took it to my local toyota dealership to see if they could find the problem. They didn't, They told me that the sway bars were the cause of the problem and the only way to fix it would to put the factory bar in for a charge of $1300.

It is this high cause they would need to buy a new bar cause the one I took out could be damaged, what a load of crap.

Is there any way that I might be able to reset the computer to fix the problem, the sway bar in the front in know where near any airbag sensor, so I am sure that this cant be the cause of the problem.

Any help would be great.

Also, I took my box out on a canyon run yesterday, The handling is much better. now I just need some rubber to grip the road a little better.

Jason
OK, here I go. Not one electrical component is removed when removing the swaybar. The only components removed here are the motor mount, rack and pinion steering and the chasis itself is dropped. Not one electrical wire or sensor is removed to install the swaybars.
Please contact your dealer and have them give you proof that the airbag light is on because of the swaybar install. Also remember to stay calm and don't point fingers until we hear what they say. Then after we can advise you or send you to another dealer.

Old 03-02-2004, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, I found out it is more then the air bag light, I went to honk my horn tonight, and it did not work. As far as I know from another car I had, the horn and air bag were partily connected due to the wheel turning. Tomorrow, I will go to the dealership to see what they have to say about this.

At first I was thinking that it was just a fuse for the horn cause it was not working, but then my son pressed the panic buton on my key and there it was honking away. I am thinking a total warranty issue.

Jason
Old 03-02-2004, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Piston
Well, I found out it is more then the air bag light, I went to honk my horn tonight, and it did not work. As far as I know from another car I had, the horn and air bag were partily connected due to the wheel turning. Tomorrow, I will go to the dealership to see what they have to say about this.

At first I was thinking that it was just a fuse for the horn cause it was not working, but then my son pressed the panic buton on my key and there it was honking away. I am thinking a total warranty issue.

Jason
Yes it does sound like a warranty problem with the steering wheel, Please keep us posted.

Old 03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Not a warranty problem according to the dealership I was just at. I have a torn spriral whinding cable which result in an open circuit. I am told that it is not under warranty because "my after market wheels are able to turn farther then the stock wheels" This is what I was just told, what a load of crap.

MAybe some of you that have the tech manual can help me out. I have the part number I would just like to see what this cable is and maybe repair or replace it myself.

Part # 84306-52060

Jason
Old 03-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Banned
SL Member

What size wheels are you running? Did you ever notice a rubbing sound when you turn? Can you see the cable, and where its worn due to the wheel rubbing against it? Something just doesnt make sense here, unless that cable broke loose and you tire was rubbing against it for some time.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry to hear about the sir light. You said that the steering rack was removed for the install. If when the rack was removed the steering wheel got turned at all, or the rack was put back in with the wheels turned from the removal position then when you turn the wheel it will break the sir coil in the upper collumn. Sorry but it could have been caused by the installation.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:23 PM

Is there another dealership u can go to? That doesn't sound right at all. the dealers are always puttin on aftermarket wheels all the time and never complain when theres a problem when they install it.

Also the wheels can't turn that much because when the sub frame comes down the wheels are hard to turn because of the weight drop from the frame and control arms.