Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Anyone else have this problem?? [tC trunk latch in cold]

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member

Blah Blah Blah, my TC has problems, my dealer didn't fix it the first time, they should have nothing better to do than wait on me hand and foot. I'm sure they gave a sticky latch problem to one of the most expierenced tech's cause the rookies were all tied up with engine rebuild and clutch jobs. Give me a break I guess the "chikita??" who owns this TC is perfect, and has never ____ed anybody off. There's two sides to every story.

Who did new car owners whine to before the internet??
Old 01-13-2005, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^^^^^ EXACTLY!!!!!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Banned

Lots of times the pepole in Maintenance dont have a clue about small problems and or dont care, But the problem sounds important to me I would go to another place and report that one place to toyota. I have had run ins with monkeys like that and understnd I would have been a lot worse :twisted: .
Old 01-13-2005, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member

My tC has had that problem, too. It only happened once though on a day that was below 30 degrees. I just kept jarring the latch and pushing down on the trunk until it shut. It was a one time occurrence. I'm not really sure what happened, but I'm speculating that the day before, when I bought groceries, I didn't shut it all the way and the latch kinda just froze that way with the change in the cold weather.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

to all of you who actually seem to be on my side- thanks. I appreciate the help. It sux that it happened and I was really just reaching out to whoever may have had a problem too. Thanks. And I don't think that I'm perfect MEXb not at all. Nor do I expect to have the top of the line tech working on my car. All I wanted was for it to be fixed when they called to say it was ready. So for you guys here who have helped- thanks. For all of you who just want to say I'm an ___ or whatever, well that's your opinion. I appreciate the insight.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

so was it ever "fixed' or just some lube and a slack off?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm having the same problems with mine. It's annoying. I posted about this around Thanksgiving, and this has happened to me a few times.

Here's the deal though...to all those saying to stop complaining, we bought a car...and the car came with a warranty. Although we should be civil about it, we have every right to expect our car to work properly 5 months after we bought it...especially since it's a Toyota...and it's new.

I myself have taken my car in for this very problem. They thought they had it, but I guess it must've gotten warm enough for it to actually close. I called them back after I went to get my backpack out of my trunk for school and it didn't latch again. They were very nice to me, and I'm leaving my car overnight on Friday night (there goes the dates that I didn't have) at the dealership so they can mess with it some more. I'm just hoping that it's actually cold this Friday night/ Sat. morning.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone said take it to a diff. dealer but doesn't that void the warranty if you take it to someone else to have them work on it?

The only problem I've had so far this winter with my tC is that the windows were frozen for the past 2 weeks, and they wouldn't even budge. Finally someone gave me the advice to stick like a credit card inbetween the rubber stripping on the outside and the window sure enough after I did that it loosend it up and is rolling up and down just fine now. I've opened my hatch quite a bit and it's closed everytime so far (knock on wood).
Old 01-22-2005, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just dropped my baby off at the dealership. They're keeping her on a FRIDAY NIGHT
Old 01-22-2005, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey...I just got my car back, and they basically said it was the latching mechanism itself that was being a poop head.

So, because Scions aren't supposed to have problems with them, there were no latches in town, and they had to order one.

The guy told me that as soon as they get the part in, they'll call me, and they'll need my car for about an hour and a half to replace it.

Here's my receipt from the dealership if you would like to show your dealership, and hopefully they'll be a little more helpful than telling you "It's the grease"

Just click this link.
http://img2.uploadimages.net/221270scan.jpg
Old 01-24-2005, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

hey Taylor- thanks for the info- I'm taking it back to the dealer this week when the snow disappears a little. I haven't used my trunk in a while and now that it's FREEZING I really don't want to touch it at all. Thanks so much for your help and I'm going to print a copy of your reciept to show those guys that there are other tC's that have this problem. They told me I was the first. THANK YOU!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine has done the exact same thing. The mechanism was fine, i could move the latch with my finger no problem but it wouldnt latch up. I drove it home with it flopping in the back, pulled my groceries out and closed it and it latched up. Luckily its only happened to me once but it is worrisome.