Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Anyone here use Supertech Synthetic? (Walmart's Mobil 1)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone here use Supertech Synthetic? (Walmart's Mobil 1)?

Last edited by paul34; 03-06-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I am one of those who believes in "you get what you pay for"

I dont want to mess around with oil, being that its the "blood" of my motor and S/C so I only use Redline now.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Supertech Syn has a much weaker add pack than M1 which is proven in UOAs. M1 is overhyped and overpriced, but compared to ST, it is a perfect oil.

You could probably run ST for 3-4K OCIs without issues, but it is NOT a good extended OCI choice.

Pennzoil Platinium can be had for less than $2/qt after mail in rebate. If you looking for the least expensive syn WITH a proper add pack, than PP is the way to go. It keeps my motor much quieter as well when comparing it to my previous choice (M1).

As was said, oil is the blood of your car. Make the best possible choice regarding weight and brand selection.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want to run a synthetic oil buy the best
Redline Synthetic Oil
Old 07-21-2007, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

One thing you have to ask yourself is... Is it worth the small amount of savings to risk any damage to your engine by not using Mobil 1 and Toyota filters. The best time to make the switch is right after 1K miles. Then every 5K thereafter and you will be set for 300K miles plus. But the choice is yours so choose wisely.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
.....Is it worth the small amount of savings to risk any damage to your engine by not using Mobil 1 and Toyota filters....
Actually, M1 is more damaging than PP.

If you get a chance, look at some UOA with M1 in Scion vechicles and compare them to PP. Facts are facts, and marketing can not change the truth.

All three engines show higher Fe readings than one would expect, and it is much higher than with PP. M1 may (still in question as Mobil refuses to give a straight answer) be primarily made from the group III base oil with a small percentage of group IV added to that. Sure PP is a XHVI base (a high performance gIII), but they come right out and say it. Shell did not deny the fact and did not use wiggle words and "trade secrets" to hide behind.
It also apears they have a better add pack (read:protection) than M1 based on UOAs, at least it is true in our motors. Cant say for sure in other motors as I have not even looked into it. But from personal experience, I can say that M1 has a higher consumtion rate in xB motors than PP. M1 also cause more top-end noise than PP. And UOAs show M1 to be inferior to PP in xB motors.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as your Supertech synthetic question, go ahead and try it for an oil change. Then do a UOA on it. Your motor won't blow up. And you'll be able to get hard facts on how that oil performs in your engine. Although many would argue that one OCI is not enough to determine this.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Rocket
If you want to run a synthetic oil buy the best
Redline Synthetic Oil
I would debate this i have had the best results from Amsoil and i have used all of the 3 best Redine. Amsoil and Royal Purple
Old 09-19-2007, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cut the crap... here is the hoe-down, low down on what is what, what is best- and what is junk. All these oils work .... but some are better then others. PS- I am no authority here on the subject- just posting out of my personal experiences w/ the oils and others real life claims of what several others have prefered:

Best to worst(ending last) engine oils to use:

1. Synlube (I'm getting the vibe that this is the ulitimate... and at $32 per quart, its darn pricy... but its good for 100K miles ! One memeber here swares on the added/gain in mpgs in his xB. Here is the website: http://www.synlube.com/pricelist.htm

Its fun to check the site, read the history, etc.!!!

2. Redline

3. Amsoil (almost as good as Redline.... they are neck+neck - both can be used for 10K miles. Amsoil claims it can go 25K miles w/ there oil filter! )

4. Castol Syntec just a couple of dollars more then Mobile 1 in a 5 quart jug @ Wallyworld! @ about 4.50 per quart.. its very good bang for the buck.

5. Penziol Platnium synth- a little less expensive the Castol Syntec.

6. Mobile 1 syn ... maybe 5th place, or 6th. I've used it the last two times on my mothers Tundra ... and both times when draining the oil after going 4-5K miles, it had sludge in it!!! Not good. Mobile is slippin. I think there quality control / quality standards are slipping, and the price of there product is showing. Ever hear of high quantity, low quality - thats where Mobile 1 is going . They have built up a reputation over the years , but the product up until 2000 or so was good , now not so sure. Also, not so sure how to comment on the Mobile extended life 15K oil, I've never used it.. or known anyone who has. It might have more detergents in it. I know Mobile is the biggest Oil producer/manufacture on the planet(again.. from what I've read) ... so there oil stock is very high. Many car manufactures go with Mobile oil that come out of there factories. Its the choice of many the world over, but that doesn't mean that its the best , or that there aren't other engine oils out there that do it better.

Anyone ever use Valvoline Synthetic(I believe just the 5w-20 is the true synthetic) ????

Royal Purple should not be used in street driven vehicles. Its from my reading/understanding its used in competition only.. where the engines after racing X number of miles are then stripped down, and overhauled. It does not have any kind of detergents/ ingredients that help the hydrocarbons to be burned off / synthesized out of the system.

my .02 .... anyone in agreement ?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Super-Stormtrooper07

Anyone ever use Valvoline Synthetic(I believe just the 5w-20 is the true synthetic) ????
Nope, but I have 4qts of some 0w30 that will be going in for my next oil change, if not this weekend than the one after.

And just to stop the one or two people that will claim that 0w are not safe for the xB, please read this before posting your comments: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php..._haas_articles
Old 10-14-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I havent seen any infor on what you have said about Royal Purple.....and almost every race car(nascar) runs Amsoil I wonder why LOL.. I have run the Amsoil for over 25,000 in some cars with no breakdown

l
Old 10-14-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Originally Posted by Super-Stormtrooper07

Nope, but I have 4qts of some 0w30 that will be going in for my next oil change, if not this weekend than the one after.

And just to stop the one or two people that will claim that 0w are not safe for the xB, please read this before posting your comments: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php..._haas_articles
those who debate you do not understand