Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Anyone use synthetic???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone use synthetic???

If so, when did you start?
What you use? Mobile 1 i hear is good ____.

I am thinking about changing when i hit 9k.

Share the knowledge!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member

Default im using synthetic

I switched at my 1st oil change, i ddint use the ones from scion. I always put synthetic in my car and i do use mobile 1. But make sure you get full synthetic, sometimes they put in synthetic blend (not good).
Old 05-02-2005, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mobil 1 extended life 5w30 in the engine (changed out at 318 miles). Redline Mt-90 75w90 in the transaxle (5speed). Always use synthetic, dino oil is dead.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just cahnged to Mobil1 yesterday at 1005 miles and I have to say that it pulls a little harder in mid to upper RPMs. It really smoothed out the engine at upper RPMs too. I was shocked to see how much of a difference it made.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm.... i dont want to start a synthetic vs. regular debate... but does the tC actually need or benefit from using synthetic? i've never used synthetic before and honestly dont know too much about oil. thinking along the lines of those gasoline (what grade do you use) threads... does any engine benefit from using synthetic?

i asked my mechanic once whether it would be good to switch to synthetic on another car i had, and he said "it'll only help if you've been running synthetic since the beginning" and i know the tC doesn't come with synthetic.

thoughts, opinions?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mobil 1 full synthetic, since first oil change @750mi
Old 05-02-2005, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm getting the free 3 oil change from the the dealer,think i'll make the switch after the third oil change..
Old 05-02-2005, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mobil 1 in the engine and tranny at 3,000 miles. I have 25k now... i really noticed how much smoother it shifted right away.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

who isnt using synthetic?

im using mobil 1. can never go back...
Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by epitek
hmm.... i dont want to start a synthetic vs. regular debate... but does the tC actually need or benefit from using synthetic? i've never used synthetic before and honestly dont know too much about oil. thinking along the lines of those gasoline (what grade do you use) threads... does any engine benefit from using synthetic?

i asked my mechanic once whether it would be good to switch to synthetic on another car i had, and he said "it'll only help if you've been running synthetic since the beginning" and i know the tC doesn't come with synthetic.

thoughts, opinions?
Definitely better to run synthetic. The results are proven and time tested. It wont hurt to switch to after the fact. I run Mobile1 in everything I have, definitely worth the money.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

switched to Mobil 1 after my free oil changes from toyota....toyota uses great liquids...but synthetic is still alot better
Old 05-02-2005, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Using mobil 1 too. Started with the first free oil change. I brought it in and asked for the empty containers.
It is a big deal if you have many miles on your odo and then change to synthetic. At that time your engine is well worn and using a synthetic would do more harm than good.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

I don't like Mobile 1. I only use Motul on my baby.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im at 1400 miles and i havent changed the oil yet. should i wait till 3000 and then change?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm... i have 1100 miles on my car, do you think its too late to switch? i haven't gotten any oil changes yet, so maybe i should get it done anyway.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned
SL Member

the earlier the better i changed my car to mobil 1 with mobil 1 oil filter since 300 miles f**k the cheap ___ three free oil changes pfhhhhhhhhhhh now i have almost ten thousand miles and ive always used mobil 1 synthetic in any car i ever had!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me dispell a few myths about synthetic oil:

Myth 1) you can't change to synthetic oil after running dino oil for an extended period.
Answer: You can change to synthetic oil at anytime, I have done it on the numerous used cars, both domestic and foriegn, with no ill effects.

Myth 2) Synthetic oils cause leaks.
Answer: If your car starts to leak oil after going to synthetic, that means you had oil leaks before, synthetic oil is that slippery and it is expoiting the gaps that dino oil can't get through. Dino oil will often volatize or coke around a seal defect, leaving little to no evidence of a seal leak. Synthetic lubricants however possess a very high thermal stability and resist evaporation. These exceptional performance characteristics, coupled with synthetic lubricant's inherit "creeping" ability, will unmask a seal leak not readily visible before.

From www.synlubes.com faqs

Why should I switch to synthetics?

You should only switch to synthetic lubricants if you want better equipment performance and longer equipment life than you're getting with your dinosaur (petroleum based) lubricants. The advantages you'll get with synthetic lubricants include:
* Dependable and easier cold weather starting.
* Increased thermal protection reducing the likelihood of engine overheating.
* Increased fuel economy.
* Better throttle response and increased power.
* Improved exhaust emissions.
* Longer oil drain intervals without compromising engine life.
* A cleaner engine.
* Significant reduction in engine wear.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good stuff.

gotta look into switching over to synthetic now.. how much are the synthetic filters btw?

also, anyone ever ask for synthetic during your free oil changes from toyota? if so, how much more did they add to the cost, and did they give you a hassle (like, oh you dont need that....)
Old 05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i switched right after my free oil changes were used up. im currently using 5w-30 royal purple.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

one mistake i see alot.. and that is people thinking that synth oil is not dino oil... except for AMSOIL.. all synthetic oil comes from the same good old dinasour......... what makes the synth ..synth.. is in the way the oil is proccessed.. synth oil is chemically proccessed.. this process allows for a much tighter/uniformed oil molecule.. which is what make synth better.... after that both regular and synthetic oil get the same additives..

i use to think the same way .. in which i thought synthetic oil was not petrolium based.. until i read about it.. again.. that is except for AMSOIL which i believe is not petrolium based..

while it is true that you can switch between regular and synth oil.. like a post above stated.. if you switch to synth on a high milage engine that has used regular oil all it's life.. the likelyhood of having leaks will go up.... but it is not true in the other direction.. due to synth oil being better at preserving seals.... while i believe if you change your oil religiously , there is no reason why you should not get the same wear out of regular oil.. the other advantages of synth oil is worth the extra cost..

Quick Reply: Anyone use synthetic???