Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

ATN: TSB for all '04 thru '05 Scion Xb A/C Systems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Wait so theres finally a TSB for the a/c not blowing cold enough??? What exactly are they doing to the system to remedy the situation???

Does anyone know "For sure" what's being done??? :D

DAN
Old 09-25-2004, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There was a TSB issued in February of 2004, TSB AC-002-04, affecting xAs before VIN JTKKT6#4*40057435 and xBs before VIN JTLKT3#4*40142587.

Basically, it is a readjustment of the air-mix cable and supposedly takes 0.6 hours to perform.

Is there a second TSB out there?

George
Old 09-25-2004, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

http://www.corollatoys.com/TSB/Scion.htm
Thanks to some help from SuperJeer
Old 09-26-2004, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just paged through it. Thanks 'Best. Noticed they have to take the bumper cover off. I hope they don't _____ about my b cool.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CorollasBest
xA
xB

Thanks to some help from SuperJeer
added to the tsb thread.

thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so can I say that eh I don't feel like the AC is blowing cool enough(which during the summer I didn't) can I get have this TSB done...

~wC
Old 09-27-2004, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HOLY CRAP!!! Look at the TSB!!! 27 pages long!!!!

Im sorry, But I always have felt my a/c blows cold enough!! And to me, its certainly not worth it to have a Tech practially rip my car apart to make the a/c a little cooler.
Mine gets FREEZING for god sakes!. For 04's they have to take the bumper off!!!

No thanks, If my a/c gets worse I will get it done- I guess I have my 3 year/36k warrenty to do it-

One thing I noticed with my xB is when you turn the a/c on- it bareley disturbs the engine- and 1/2 the time, the cooling fan doesnt even come on!
On my old focus, you would turn on the a/c in the middle of winter- and both fans would come on!!

My point is since my xB with the current a/c: It hardly lessens engine power- and I always get 33 plus MPG with it on!
I dought with the new one that this will stay the same!

People who get the TSB done right away- tell me if you notice a difference!!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I sure hope I don't need to have that done! I don't think I want someone doing that to my box there is too much room for errors and scratches, not to mention having it out of my sight for that long of a period. And what about all the mods performed like the front LED's are the gonna replace a broken LED tube if they F#%k it up. I thought Toyotas weren't suposed to have crap like this happen???? what's up TOYOTA :twisted:
Old 09-27-2004, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know what you mean- Im certainly not getting it done unless it gets worse!

Its a TSB , Not a recall though- my focus had 100's of theses - DONT WORRY!!- Its common among all cars!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Banned
SL Member

I scheduled mine for tomorrow. Since I have close to 15K miles on the xB, I want to kill two birds with one stone. The Scion Service guy (Ben) at Russel Toyota in Maryland owns a tC. The 15K miles service from them is only $191.60 compared to CarMax which is $230.

If the part is not available, I can continue to keep the loaner until the job is complete. Hopefully it's not a Scion. Hopefully they let me drive another Avalon or something faster than the xB. :D
Old 09-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Banned
SL Member

The box went in for it's 15K service today. They performed temp testing and found that the temp was at 50F and should be around 40-45F. Not sure if that is the lowest setting with fresh, non-circulated air. The TSB states once things are replaced to check the temp on the lowest setting and fresh air. BTW, the box also completed the Max Cool switch TSB (dated Feb 04, 2004). That TSB didnt really do anything.

They had to order parts. At least for me, i didnt have to wait weeks for parts from Japan I wonder if the parts are made in Japan or American made but with Toyota specs :? I will keep the loaner overnight ('04 Camry 2AZFE). Parts should arrive tomorrow as well as the completion of the TSB.

Will C, Ben (the russel rep) knows you. He was at the Scions Invade Columbia Mall event on 9/11.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by fr130

Will C, Ben (the russel rep) knows you. He was at the Scions Invade Columbia Mall event on 9/11.
yeah I'm gonna go up there and talk to him later this month...I want a couple people to get this done first to see if it has any affect on egine idle/gas mileage etc....

~wC
Old 09-29-2004, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member

Oh well looks like more parts for me to ship out, Can you say OT
Old 09-29-2004, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I recently had this adjustment done. Upon having the car disassembled, Roseville Toyota said that a mixer door within the AC unit was warped and the unit needed to be replaced. Well, about 2 weeks later, the parts were replaced, but the car was assembled improperly. The AC works much better now, but the adjustment lever for recirculate/vent function is really weak, and I can almost blow it from one side to the other. The service techs said it was "normal" and they're seeing this kind of problem within lots of other Scions. But, they also played with my stereo and most interior electrical functions don't work, so should I believe them? lol

I go in Thursday morning (7:30 am on my friggin day off, and I have class) to have everything put back, hopefully in the right places.

Mike R.
rolex87
Old 10-02-2004, 01:50 AM
Banned
SL Member

Well... it took awhile. Actually I changed my mind. They told me Tues/orWed but due to increase work load, the TSB fix was pushed to Monday of next week. I need my lunch box. :D. I also dont want to be a guinea pig. I'll let someone else be one

BTW, my front left wheel has no wheel weights. The other three have different weights. Vibrates like there's no tomorrow. Hmmm...1-866-70-SCION on Monday. EDIT, to make sure there is no misunderstanding :Naw, I'll call em (service dept.) tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had this tsb done quite a while ago. and i definately made a big difference in the coldness of the a/c. from what they told me, all they did was adjust the mixture cable. they didn't take off my front bumper tho. i know for sure, cuz i took the car in uber-dirty on purpose so i could see where they touched the car! they did end up keeping the car overnight tho, but that was cuz they were fixing my trd exhaust and were waiting on a part. i did get a rental. an 04 corolla. man those cars are crappy compared to ours. felt really tin-can like.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by scionracerxb
i had this tsb done quite a while ago. and i definately made a big difference in the coldness of the a/c. from what they told me, all they did was adjust the mixture cable. they didn't take off my front bumper tho. i know for sure, cuz i took the car in uber-dirty on purpose so i could see where they touched the car! they did end up keeping the car overnight tho, but that was cuz they were fixing my trd exhaust and were waiting on a part. i did get a rental. an 04 corolla. man those cars are crappy compared to ours. felt really tin-can like.

different TSB...this is one that just came out on the 24th....

~wC
Old 10-06-2004, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I was brave and had this TSB done today even though reading the pdf file scared me with all of the things they had to do. It took the tech most of the day but I have my xB back and have nice cold air blowing out of the vents. On the lowest setting it felt closer to the AC we have on the Corolla. The true test will be how quick the interior cools down tomorrow after sitting in the sun until lunch.

Nothing fell off of the car on the way home doing 80mph with the AC on so I think they put it back together correctly.