Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Auto Vibration at Stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Auto Vibration at Stop

Anyone else have a automatic which, when stopped in Drive with your foot on the brake, a fairly loud vibrating noise is heard? It seems like it might be the exhaust or something else loose rattling around.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My licsense plate rattles from time to time on my autoCherry...it is telling me to drill two more holes to attach the bottom of the plate. I really don't want to but I might bite the bullet and do it anyway.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Do you have the AEM CAI? I have that same rattle, and it is the CAI hitting the airbag sensor. (Getting it fixed this week)
Old 03-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Banned
SL Member

dynamat your license plate

use a piece of foam with 3M adhesive backing (like 1/8" thick) to sit between the intake and the sensor..

those two should fix the rattling.. if that is indeed what's rattling..

makes me glad i'll be gettin a manual
Old 03-22-2004, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the ideas. I don't have a cold air intake, and I've got a paper temp tag with a plastic tag holder. I don't think the tag can make any noise, but I'll check it out. When I get the permanent metal tag, I'll make sure it's mounted vibration-free. What is WITH the two cheap-___ phillips head screws they give you for the tag??? I guess the japs have to cut corners somewhere to make our boxes inexpensive.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Auto Vibration at Stop

Originally Posted by Carolina Guy
Anyone else have a automatic which, when stopped in Drive with your foot on the brake, a fairly loud vibrating noise is heard? It seems like it might be the exhaust or something else loose rattling around.
The only vibration I get is when the cooling fan turns on. Are you sure it's not your cooling fan?
Old 03-22-2004, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yeah, it only happens when you are at a complete stop in drive, and it doesn't do it all the time. I've noticed a vibration in many automatic cars stopped in drive with your foot on the brake, but something loose is making a rattling noise.

I'm waiting for someone to suggest just cranking the radio, which does work.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Knocking noise

I'm having the exact same noise. Its annoying as hell. I tried changing gas brands. Went from Shell to Exxon and thought that fixed it. I didn't hear the knocking noise for a few days. Unfortunately, this morning she was knocking again. I'm going to try synthetic oil when I get it changed next week. If that doesnt quiet the knock, I'm taking it in to the dealer to see what he thinks about it. -Sam
Old 03-22-2004, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My noise is definitely something loose rattling when the box vibrates at a stop - not the electric cooling fan or engine knock. If you really have engine knock, which is predetonation, you would notice it most when accelerating under load. I don't think you'd be knocking while stopped unless your engine is predetonating all the time. Predetonation is very bad for your engine, and should be stopped ASAP to prevent motor damage by switching to a higher octane gas, which is harder to burn, or correcting a mechanical problem. Our weenie motors are designed to burn regular 87 octane gas, and I think predetonation is a rarity with the 1.5's. If you've got rod knock, it would be new engine time. If you're pretty sure your engine is knocking and it's not something else, I would be extremely concerned and take it to the dealer.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

oh man...

heavy

good luck with that
Old 03-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Banned
SL Member

Damn, and i thought it was just me. I took my RS1 otut today for its full days run for work. After a couple of lights, i noticed a rattlel under the hood. Almost sounds like where the intake is, but i have an INJEN, not the AEM. I look for a minute under the hood, and cant fins anything loose in the CAI region. If it continues, ill have to look further into it. But it is definately when at a complete stop, the sec it starts to roll, or i let off the brake just a tad, it stops. Lemme know what you find out.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here you guys go, a Toyota TSB, as found in the Maintenence and Problems forum: http://home.earthlink.net/~frazsj/SQ...ERVICETIPS.pdf

Print it out, bring the papers to your dealer, and tell them you want it fixed
Old 03-22-2004, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm about to take mine in to have the oil changed an get the TSB rattles repaired, but I am wondering if anyone has heard of this:

When I am stopped I here a very distinct clicking (almost like water dripping) from the rear of the car. I've checked underneath and don't see anything. It only seems to come up when I have the break on. Any thoughts?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Banned
SL Member

After I start the car, let it warmed up until 1K RPM then move slowly (blue temp light still lit):
Mine rattles when I'm at an angled street at a stoplight. Typically nose pointing downwards. I've had this issue with an '01 Camry. Mine is an autoxB too.

Sounds like an the exhuast pipe is hitting something or maybe resonator or muffler. More like a metallic clanging sound.

However, 500yds or so later it doesn't rattle at a light. Weird, I'll still bring it in.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member

we have two hooked up xB (i will post pics soon) and they did the same thing and our techs are looking into the problem.. but we think it is deffinaty in the intake area .. there is no other reason to it
Old 03-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Banned
SL Member

Mine was intermitant, some stops it would do it, and others it wouldnt. Like i said, i did look at the intake while i was at the dealers today showing him the cracked paint on my strut bar from the techs tightening the strut nut too tight. My filter is clear, and the intake is not hitting anything. It may have to do with the battery and its location. Other then pulling out the headlight, i didnt remove anything else from that part of the car. And the niose is definately coming from the drivers side front.

If you guys at ShoreScion NJ find something, lemme know.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey Carolina guy check the top of your airbox. There's this gold colored thing that attaches to the side of the airbox, squeeze it tight to the airbox and this should solve the problem. Atleast that's what my noise was.

Let me know if it helps.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Mystery Noise

I'm pretty sure a few of us are having the same problem. The symptoms are much the same. Mine is an auto, makes "the noise" only when stopped and in drive, and if I'm at an incline or decline, its pretty much gauranteed to happen. If anyone finds the solution before I take mine in this weekend, please post! :?:
Old 03-23-2004, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Carolina Guy, my XA does the exact same thing. If I put it in Neutral, the rattling stops. At first, I wondered if it was the intake rattling, cuz it sounds like the upper part of the engine, but why would it stop if I take it out of Drive?
Old 03-23-2004, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Auto Vibration at Stop

Originally Posted by Carolina Guy
Dude just crank up the stereo!!!

~WC

Quick Reply: Auto Vibration at Stop