Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Auto Vibration at Stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Hmmm.........I'm curious myself too. My box seems to make a 'rattling' noise in the front of the car when at a stand still. I took it to the dealership thinking it may be the AEM air intake. They took it apart and re-assembled the intake. The sound seems to be dimmer but still gets a faint rattling noise time to time. Let me know when there is a 'fix' for this known issue/problem. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had this same problem........freaked me out. I was like "man...this car is brand new.......I don't want it in the shop."

When I'd throw it in park......the noise would stop. So......I put it in drive......and pulled the emergency brake. That kept the car still while I let it idle in drive and searched for the source of the noise.

Seemed to be coming from the engine bay. I opened the hood.........noise went away. Hmm. Closed the hood back up........noise came back. Hmmm. Put pressure on the top of the hood.......noise stopped. Eureka........source of the problem located.

I opened the hood back up, and to either side of the hood latch.........there are some black rubber stops slightly smaller in diameter than a quarter. These make contact with the hood when it is shut to prevent rattling. Well.....the thing is.......the rubber stops screw in and out like....well.......screws. I unscrewed them slightly so that they were higher (ie, made better contact with the hood when closed)........and voila........problem solved.

Dunno if this is your issue.........but might want to give it a shot.

KiL
Old 03-23-2004, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by fr130

Sounds like an the exhuast pipe is hitting something or maybe resonator or muffler. More like a metallic clanging sound.
bet ya thats it.... probly a heat shield--- I think I remember an echo with that problem came for an oil change once. It was hard to find it so make sure they check exhaust.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:20 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by KingLou
I had this same problem........freaked me out. I was like "man...this car is brand new.......I don't want it in the shop."

When I'd throw it in park......the noise would stop. So......I put it in drive......and pulled the emergency brake. That kept the car still while I let it idle in drive and searched for the source of the noise.

Seemed to be coming from the engine bay. I opened the hood.........noise went away. Hmm. Closed the hood back up........noise came back. Hmmm. Put pressure on the top of the hood.......noise stopped. Eureka........source of the problem located.

I opened the hood back up, and to either side of the hood latch.........there are some black rubber stops slightly smaller in diameter than a quarter. These make contact with the hood when it is shut to prevent rattling. Well.....the thing is.......the rubber stops screw in and out like....well.......screws. I unscrewed them slightly so that they were higher (ie, made better contact with the hood when closed)........and voila........problem solved.

Dunno if this is your issue.........but might want to give it a shot.

KiL
Houston, i think we have a winner. Im gonna try this today before i leave for work. I would be willing to bet this is it. I have had other rattles on other cars that these bumpers were off by just a twist, and it would rattle.

The reason the rattle stops when you move, your taking the movement out of the rattle and moving the car. This would lead me to believe that it would be the hood, as soon as you start to roll at idle, the car moves, and takes the flex out of the hood and front body panels. Ill let you guys know ....
Old 03-23-2004, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks everyone for all the excellent ideas. Those of us experiencing the rattle now have several possible sources to trace. King Lou, awesome idea to leave it in gear and use the emergency brake so you get get out to listen for the noise source. If I can't figure out what's up, I'm going to have my wife drive me around strapped to the fender like a trophy buck so I can listen for where the noise is coming from.

Will C, I beat you to the cranking tunes idea many posts earlier. As a matter of fact, my wife never even noticed the rattle until after I asked her because she always had tunes playing loud (and/or the 20 month old buttmonkey in the back was hollering). It's a shame women have equal rights and we have to let them drive. (Only kidding Scion-chicks, no need to flame out
Old 03-23-2004, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hmm...well mine is going into the dealer Thursday for a couple of things including the missing AEM bracket. I was hoping that would take care of the rattle, but now i'm a little afraid it won't take care of the problem because people without the AEM have the exact same problem

Originally Posted by SCI FIRE
If I put it in Neutral, the rattling stops.
So when i get it back from the dealer I'll see if it's taken care of

But yesterday i developed a rattle in the driver's door panel which seems to happen randomly...maybe more during acceleration...ugghh....
Old 03-23-2004, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by Carolina Guy
(and/or the 20 month old buttmonkey in the back was hollering). It's a shame women have equal rights and we have to let them drive. (Only kidding Scion-chicks, no need to flame out
Who the hell calls their own child a buttmonkey?
That aint right! :D

Doc
Old 03-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Banned
SL Member

Ok, Houston, we still have a problem, turning the bumpers up didnt help. I dont want to turn them up so far that the hood sits higher then the side panels. I was thinking it was the prop bar that holds up the hood while its open. I dunno.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I tried raising the rubber stoppers under the hood... twice. Once before I left work, and then when I left work tonight. It seems improved, but the rattle is still there and is still intermittant. It only does it when I am at a full stop, with the car in Drive and my foot on the brake. It still stops when I take it out of Neutral. I will have another look in the morning, when it's light out, to see if the stoppers can be raised higher or not.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The mystery continues...... Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to try some of the suggested remedies. Everyone keep us posted on your success eliminated the dreaded stop-rattle.

Doc, I don't just call her a buttmonkey. That's her legal given name, with a small b. It should help her stand out from those other single-name supermodels. Or pop stars. Or first female NFL starting placekicker.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Have you tried... (May be I missed it)

Have you tried putting it in P or N when the noise starts? I had that a few times when it was brand gnu and it seemed like the car still wanted to go even when it was stopped. Just a thought.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:10 AM
Banned
SL Member

Well, after 2 turns on the bump stops under the hood, i havent had the rattle this far. This was with a full day of stop and go driving, and nada. Maybe it was the fix.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Even with the rubber stoppers raised too high (the hood was no longer even with the sides), the rattle was still there... just not as loud. I had to turn them back down til the hood closed level. I will try to see if it really is the hood (it seems to be) or if the heat shield is making noise.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
Well, after 2 turns on the bump stops under the hood, i havent had the rattle this far. This was with a full day of stop and go driving, and nada. Maybe it was the fix.
Glad I may have helped at least one person's problem. :D

KiL
Old 03-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI FIRE
Even with the rubber stoppers raised too high (the hood was no longer even with the sides), the rattle was still there... just not as loud. I had to turn them back down til the hood closed level. I will try to see if it really is the hood (it seems to be) or if the heat shield is making noise.
The easiest thing to do is to find a drive way that has a pitch to it that causes the rattle, have someone tap the throttle just enough to get it moving, then hit the brake hard enugh to cause the rattle. Just so happens my first client Wed has such a driveway. I had the wife drive and stop while i walked along the drivers side and held the hood all the way open. Dont you know, while the hood was open, no rattle. I dont think the prop bar would be strong enough to withstand any torque from being in drive. 2 days, and no rattle.

Something else you may want to check into, i noticed that the prop bar is very loose on the end that is fastened to the radiator support. Try wedging a piece of foam or a towel into the gap to tighten the bar up.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Banned
SL Member

Hmmm, has anyone thought that maybe the EBD (electronic brake distribution) may be the issue? Maybe it's not distributing properly, LOL. Seriously, maybe the engine braking that EBD was designed for is flawed.

I heard it alot or rattles today while I was terrorizing the streets of our Nations Capital. Very embarassing with all the rattle noise. This is the first time that the box rattled more than once while stopped. I had two extra other people this time too...hmmm
Old 03-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Banned
SL Member

BUMP

Scheduled an appointment on April 12th (yeah, it's way in the future). I called Scion support first, told me that this was the first time anyone has mentioned it to them. I'm going to have TSB NV008-03 performed as well. I wonder if the rattle can solved by performing this TSB? Hhmm. Any Cali folks had this issue right after the June 03 launch?
Old 03-29-2004, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default AEM rattle?

i took mine to the dealer last week. They didn't do anything...they need more time to investigate (it was there from opening to closing). Little annoyed

My friend just got a box....i'll have to check out if hers does it w/o the CAI
Old 04-04-2004, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine started when i got my first free oil change from the dealer. It seems to idle much harder. They use Castrol oil, if that means anything. It does sound crappy at the stop light. I noted that the intake box is shaking profusely. Or it sounds like some kind of valve or loose item. Lets stay on top of this guys.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sheeesh...

I haven't had this problem yet but, also haven't been in to do my first free oil change. I'm getting nervous about it now though after following this thread.

I love the way it runs now, I'd be unhappy to see it take a turn for the worse. Especially after having the Dealer work on it.

I had no problems with the install (after purchase) of the sway bars with sound and all... Did anybody that bought their autoBox from Longo acquire this problem after scheduled maintenance was performed at Longo?

:?

Quick Reply: Auto Vibration at Stop