Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Auto Vibration at Stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 12:17 AM
Banned
SL Member

Bad news, the rattle is back. Weather here in the North East is cold and wet ( actually was snowing this afternoon ). As soon as i can im gonna look into this further.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm wondering... if it is the hood for sure, and raising the rubber stoppers to the highest you can doesn't quite solve it, (though it did show some improvement), what other fix can I try to get the hood to stop rattling?

I have an appointment with the service dept in 2 weeks, but I would have to take them on a test drive since it's intermittant.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a thought, but maybe we are getting flooded (again) with crappy gas. I have noticed (historicly) when seasons change and there is some sort of gas drama, some kind of gas issue arises. It's just a thought.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Banned
SL Member

I cant speak for everyone, but my rattle is just that, a rattle. Its not a knock from bad gas, it is clearly a rattle of something under or either the hood. A knock would be heard under strain on the engine, the rattle happens only when the car is at a stand still ( usually at a stop light ) and releasing the pressure on the brake pedal can reduce/eliminate the sound all together. This is clearly a vibration of some kind.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

Alright, I took my Box to the service department (Russell Toyota/Scion in Maryland). The Scion Tech, Nate, checked it out. They found out that the rubber stoppers were tightened too LOW. Thus causing the rattle noise. So they adjusted it. I asked if the hood was flush with the rest of the engine bay and the Service guy, Greg, said it is. I haven't confirmed anything cause I'm at work. I'll take the box home after I get out of work and confirm everything. Not sure how high they set the stoppers though. Can't remember who brought up the "check rubber stoppers, " KingLou perhaps. But I still need to confirm.

BTW, excellent service at Russell Scion. They even gave me a loaner car because it's a warranty issue for free. It is a 2004 Toyota Avalon with leather seats, sunroof, armrest, JBL stereo, oh man, felt like I was driving a Cadillac.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have the problem too, only happens at stops though. It goes away once i accelerate. I wonder if it's the rubber stops for my problem. I have a cf hood btw. But i have no idea if that has anything to do with it, since a lot of you have this problem.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I know for sure that mine isn't the hood. I have the same symptoms as most. Auto trans., only makes the noise at a complete stop and its worse on hills, and goes away as soon as I release the break. The first time I heard it I threw on the E-break, left the car in gear, and popped the hood for a listen. The noise was there even with the hood open! Its louder from the inside though. Its barely audible from the outside. I couldnt pin down where it was coming from though, somewhere around the tranny, maybe an exhaust pipe vibrating? :?:
Old 04-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Banned
SL Member

Well, just got the box. Greg pointed out that the hood is still flush. Though not as flush as before but barely noticeable. Before I left the car at the shop, Nate, the tech said that the motor and transmission or brake are "fighting" each other. Not sure what that really means. Does that mean we really have BOXER engines like on the subarus...LOL, just kidding.

I drove it around, and no rattling while in drive and stopped. However, I can still here something trying to mimic the noise as before. Yeah, probably the exhuast. Or maybe the car rumbles way too much as it should. Possible motor mount as well, if that's teh case. I'll call up Scion Customer Service tomorrow and tell em about it again. They wanted to know this issue too.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

I took a look under the hood this evening, and found something interesting. The brake booster on the drivers side, the resivor that holds the brake fluid, its really loose. It appears that it is designed this way, so i wedged some foam behind it to stiffin it up a little bit. Ill post results tomorrow as i drive around town for work. Hopefully this is the answer, as the rattle is there all the time now, and is driving me nuts!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Banned
SL Member

Took some pics. CBSIMONSEZ, I believe I took some pics of the area you were referring too. Check my sig for Cardomain site.

BTW, what's with the labels in the engine bay?
white sticker

Green paper like sticker or fastener (middle box>
Old 04-07-2004, 12:14 AM
Banned
SL Member

Oh, if this happens 2 more times and dealers tried to fix it, and it's still an issue, I'm calling Lemon Law. For MD it's the first 15mo or15K miles. I still will prefer to have another Box as a replacement.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah! lemon laaaawww. new sciooooon. yeaaaah. one million dollars.

Oh, by the way does the filter box shake like hell. again it started when they replaced my oil for free..
Old 04-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Banned
SL Member

Its in the second pic, but up in the upper right hand corner. Its where the brake fluid is kept, and you can refill from here.

I cant use lemon law, i have an RS1, and chances of getting another are slim to none.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Banned
SL Member

Alright peeps ( it is almost Easter you know, and Peeps are made in PA i believe ) anywho, i just wanted to give an update to the rattle situation.

As i posted earlier, i noticed the fluid resivour was loose, and would easily move back and forth, hitting the base and the booster which site against the firewall. I wedged a piece of foam inbetween the brake fluid resivour and the booster. After a full days driving, no rattle. I will keep everyone up to date with the fix, and hopefully this is it.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, the throttle line, when I held it still, the noise seemed to go away, but I was doing it as i had the car in drive with the emergency brake on. Later, with the engine on park i wedged the throttle line into a small hook type plastic on the filter box. Seemed to go away slightly. Still working on it.

Oh, by the way DO NOT! PULL THE THROTTLE LINE WHILE YOU HAVE THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ON AND THE ENGINE ON DRIVE! IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!
Old 04-14-2004, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone get a dealer to fix this yet? I know many of you, myself included have been trying to find this yourselves, but has anyone had this fixed at a service dept? Please share, there are still people trying to find this damn rattle! Thanks.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:58 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Futureicon
Anyone get a dealer to fix this yet? I know many of you, myself included have been trying to find this yourselves, but has anyone had this fixed at a service dept? Please share, there are still people trying to find this damn rattle! Thanks.
Well, after about 2-weeks, I haven't heard the metal clanging sound from the engine bay. Sometimes, the car almost starts to make that noise but doesn't. Only sound is the normal throaty exhuast.

I went to Russel Toyota (spoke to Greg) and as stated before they raise the rubber stops. Call Him up. The service tech is Nate. Yeah, if it's warranty work they'll give ya a free loaner car. Call ahead first for an appointment though.

BTW, they have a "modded" TCM xB in the TRD/Parts Room.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:28 AM
Banned
SL Member

My rattle is still there ........ grrrrrrr. I have tried something different with the resivour, but now well see. I may crank the hell out of the bump stops under the hood, just to see what kind of result i get. I love a challenge, but this is begining to be a pain in the ___.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try the throttle line near the back panel. just below the brake pump. Good Luck.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My dealership finally fixed my rattle/vibration and it did turn out to be my AEM CAI. Once the dealership installed the spacer like they were supposed to the rattle went away...the clearance between the pipe and the airbag sensor increased as did the clearance between the filter and the fog light.

Quick Reply: Auto Vibration at Stop