Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Auto Vibration at Stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm.. Well, I got my first oil change the other day. I went to synthetis and the engine is running much smoother, and no rattle for the time being. Hopefully I've heard the last of it. Maybe it a breaking in issue. I've got around 5K on it now. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like it's the air intake box - I took my xA in for some TSBs and had them check it out also. Work order states:

"Found air intake box vibrating, Removed air box and readjusted mounting and inserted shims."

Rattling is still there, but barely audible now.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mmmm.....not on mine, I havent had the factory air box in it for months now. I did however recently do 2 things, and one of them resolved the problem (I hope).
1)Switched to synthetic oil. Car runs much smoother, no vibration.
2)I installed a new Borla exhaust and I'm thinking that during the install, the pipe may have moved in one direction or the other (somewhere along the line) and provided clearance between the two vibrating components. After the oil change the noise was barely audible. After the exhaust change, I hear nothing but sweet purring engine.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First time, the fix lasted a few hours. Tried again on Thursday. Just fine afterwards, but today it's back. The report said that they secured a cable to the firewall but it seems to be rattling just as hard as before now.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok just swithced from regular to Mobil 5w30 synthetic yesterday the car had 9000 miles on it and the change was immediate the vibrations at idle was immediately reduced.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to have to revive this thread but I just started getting a rattle at idle, but the conditions are slightly different. I have an 04 xA, 5 speed, 2k miles, no aftermarket parts.
I get a rattle coming from under the hood when I am at idle and in neutral, with the clutch engaged (not pushed in). If I push in the clutch to disengage it from the engine, the rattle stops. It is very hard to hear it from outside with the hood open because of the engine, but from inside it is very annoying (not to mention un-nerving) :?
Since it only happens when the engine is attatched at the flywheel/clutch, this leads me to believe it must be my transmission. This kind of sound is not acceptable on a new car right? I am going to take it to the dealer for sure, but I am afraid they will make light of a "rattle". Anyone else experience anything on thier manual?
Old 07-25-2004, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Haven't gotten rid of it yet on my AT. Just been tolerating it.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I dropped my xA off at the dealer today and they called back at 4:00 to say that they were "unable to replicate the sound". Here is what is funny. When I dropped the car off, they had a technician sit in the car with me, it made the clatter, and I showed him that I could stop it by pressing in the clutch . I said, "There, that. Got it? do you need to hear it some more?... Sure? Ok cool, so you guys can handle it from here? " I left them with the car, confident that they would at least be able to diagnose it. Well, it turns out that I need to go up there and replicate the noise again, and I will be without a car for at least another day.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
NM SCIONS

SL Member

hey i kinda think i have a rattle of some sort too from my auto bop xB. it does it when i stop at a light. Im not 100% sure its a rattle but im gonna check it out again. Also my xB is an 05 model. I dunno how many others have found this prob in an 05.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK well I got my car back today and heres the verdict from the Champion Toyota Service Dept:

"600 tech 311 diagnosed. no problem was found. was able to duplicate called tech. & was advised it was normal."

Hmm... the service guy told me they spent 4 hours trying to locate and isolate the noise, but when they called the "other tech guy" he said it was normal on the echo, so he assumes it is also normal on the xA. He said if it were a safety or malfunction issue, they would not let me drive it. On the upside, he also said that it has been documented that there was in fact a noise, and if it gets worse, or causes any other problems, they will take care of it, even after the 36,000 miles is up. Regardless, I am still not happy with the service dept at Champiion. If that noise were "normal" all the manual xA drivers would be like "WTF? Theres a clatter when Im in neutral and I can make it stop when I push in the clutch!" I haven't heard from ANY other manual drivers with this problem. What should be my next step? Say screw it and just keep driving, call Toyota USA?
Old 07-29-2004, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

The vibration your hearing might be coming from the air filter assebly hitting the side of the positive battery cable, or battery itself...

I noticed that the air filter assembly was shaking and vibrating really bad and hitting the positive battery cable as it moved around...I went and immediately asked the Scion tech who did the oil change on and returned my car to come and look at the air filter...He insisted it was normal and inherent in these engines during idle...It smooths out while the gas is pressed or the car is driving...

I'm lucky in that mine isn't making an audible noise though...Sorry to hear about your troubles in the engine, and if there is something wrong, I hope they can figure out what it is for you

DAN