Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Bigger OEM toyota filter found,but may not be the best

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 07:50 PM

Default Bigger OEM toyota filter found,but may not be the best

I was able to find out about a bigger original oil filter !! I did my oil change last friday and to my discovery, the dealership gave me a bigger filter than what is called for. Check it out and use this info for your advantage! :D
The filter on the left is what is called for and the right filter is bigger.

UPDATED
So it looks as though the bigger filter might not be the best way to go, if the bigger seal does not seal properly it may leak. Please stay with what is advised by the dealer and your handbook.

Old 06-30-2004, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

nice find
Old 06-30-2004, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gabe,

Is that # 90915-YZZD1?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

if you bore a hole on the other side of the filter...you can use it as a silencer.... fits nicely on Uzi pistols :D ...and I ain't talkin' 'bout no airsoft :twisted:
Old 06-30-2004, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by W0X0F
Gabe,

Is that # 90915-YZZD1?
yes sir!!! Fits perfectly!! :D

Old 06-30-2004, 08:11 PM
Banned

nice, ill ask my dealer next time about that 1

Dave
Old 06-30-2004, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the check valve is different on that filter. that used on the rav 4 engines, etc.. the smaller on is for out xb engines.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by dchan8
the check valve is different on that filter. that used on the rav 4 engines, etc.. the smaller on is for out xb engines.
Wierd how the DEALER put it on my car and I drove to bakersfield and back with no problems.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So is that OKay, or are you saying not to use it?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice find!!!
i still have my 3 free oil change, and also got 3 oil filter form my free card, til then(30,000 miles) i'll get that bigger one.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Banned

yeash
Old 07-01-2004, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i never post on this site but i do visit alot

i'm a toyota tech and thats the wrong filter man.... somebody put on the wrong filter on your car, the xb or the 1.5L motor calls for the YZZA2 ONLY
there are no "choice of filters" for toyotas where you can just swap around. i would go back to your dealer and tell them that they gave you the wrong filter

you might aswell get a YZZD3 or whatever filter # the 4.7L motors use
bigger is not always better

but that filter will be used on the TC
Old 07-01-2004, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want to use a larger filter I'd recommend using 90915-yzza1. It is slightly taller than the a2 but has the exact same foot print. Bigger is not always better. If you want to do something better in the lube department try synthetic oil.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This is true, the FO8 filter you have is for trucks and V-6 motors and the gasket is larger diameter. It could very well leak. It is the wrong filter for your car. The stock filter is plenty big enough and is of the highest quality and you would be hard pressed to find a better filter. If enough is plenty, is more really better......or just more?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~scott
Old 07-01-2004, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by mach5
i never post on this site but i do visit alot

i'm a toyota tech and thats the wrong filter man.... somebody put on the wrong filter on your car, the xb or the 1.5L motor calls for the YZZA2 ONLY
there are no "choice of filters" for toyotas where you can just swap around. i would go back to your dealer and tell them that they gave you the wrong filter

you might aswell get a YZZD3 or whatever filter # the 4.7L motors use
bigger is not always better

but that filter will be used on the TC
So would this filter cause problems with the car??

Originally Posted by mach5
i would go back to your dealer and tell them that they gave you the wrong filter
What could the dealer do? What compensation would I get?

Originally Posted by Scott17
This is true, the FO8 filter you have is for trucks and V-6 motors and the gasket is larger diameter. It could very well leak. It is the wrong filter for your car. The stock filter is plenty big enough and is of the highest quality and you would be hard pressed to find a better filter. If enough is plenty, is more really better......or just more?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~scott
Do you also feel that the filter would do damage to the motor?? We need the info, especially if the dealer did this. I need the info, and so does the whole scion comunity. If I am told this will do damage, i will delete this topic.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Banned
SL Member

uhh there's always been a bigger filter.. it's used primarily on the high performance engines, teh 4AGE, 3sGTE, 2ZZGE, etc..

if you were to use a FRAM (heavens no) it's a PH4386 .. the standard size is PH4967
Old 07-01-2004, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The filter wont do any damage, but if it leaks or doesn't seal well it could. It's just not a good idea to do because there are potentially grievious problems and absolutely no gains. Sort of like the perfect solution to a non-existant problem. Bigger is not always better( well, sometimes )
Old 07-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Banned
SL Member

do you not understand that having more filter element surface area is a GOOD thing?

do you personally know if your filter has already started bypassing at 3000 miles when you change your oil? no! it's almost impossible to KNOW..

having more filter surface area inside is a VERY good thing..
Old 07-01-2004, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not suggest to use it, I currently own 3 different toyotas, which use 2 different oil filters. There is a reason why toyota has 2 different filters for their 4 cyclinder engines. If toyota wanted to use 1 unversal size, it would save them a lot of money as they will not need to stock 2 different part, but they don't do this for a reason. So now they have 2 different size filters for their 4 cyclinder engines and for out xb/xa's the A2 filter is the correct one to use.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:03 PM

xb/xa's the A1 filter is the correct one to use.
I thought it was the A2 for the xA/xB. I called the dealer on that one and I know they said A2.

Quick Reply: Bigger OEM toyota filter found,but may not be the best