Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Blacking Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default Blacking Tires?

I am fairly new to going to car shows. I invested in some tire black for my sidewalls to help sharpen up my ride. The stuff I got though, only does the sidewalls and not the tread. It is Black Magic's tire black that comes in the oblong dispenser with the sponge on it to apply the black.

When I go to shows, the tires of the other cars look like they have never even seen a road. The tires look perfect. Does anyone have any tips to get the whole tire to look the same? Thanks
Old 10-21-2005, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

you need to get the aerosol cans theres quite a few companys that make it, you can go to any automotive store to get it to, the sponges just dont let you get into the tread very well, with the spray it gets in there perfectly
Old 10-21-2005, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try out Meguiar's NXT Generation Insane Tire Shine - it's just that.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some of those tires at car shows have really never seen the road

But, yes, if you drive to the show you would have to clean, then apply tire shine to the tread... Just make sure you wash it off good before you drive home.

Or..... You could slam your car so low that you can't see the tread!

-THE DON
Old 10-25-2005, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really like the product called "More shine, Less time." It is a spray can that has a nice, tight spray pattern. You don't get the stuff all over your wheels or fenders. It does a great job, lasts a long time, and does not make your tires turn brown, like Armorall, for example. I clean the tires first by spraying on Eagle One "All Whee & Tire Cleaner" and sprying off with a hose. This does a good job on the wheels as well.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel.

I love it.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Max
Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel.

I love it.
Hey Tony, I'm going to agree with Max as well as deager.

For most of this year I have been using the Meguiars gel and have been very happy with it. The shine isn't really plastic and it lasts quite a while.

Since I got my Valvoline sponsorship and they sent me the Eagle One stuff I've been using that. I've been VERY impressed. Their spray on - wash off wheel and tire cleaner is AMAZING. I seriously stared at my rims and tires for 5 minutes after I was done just loving them. At the show I used their tire shine on their sponge LIBERALLY and it gave them a fantastic look.

This isn't the best picture of the tires, but should give you an idea. This was at the USACi show in KC two weeks ago:

I was able to get inside the tread and really show those tires off. We can do a tutorial on it during the next meet or at the beginning of the show season next year if you like.

We look forward to having you with us at the shows next year bro!

-Alex
Old 10-27-2005, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

AS has been mentioned, and can't be stressed enough the most important part with any shine spray is to make sure the tire is very clean before you apply the shine. And also be very careful driving home with whatever product you use on the tread, as it will greatly affect your traction for a little while.

And as someone else mentioned, most of those tires haven't seen the road. Your best bet is to pick up a set of show wheels and tires that only go on when you get the car set up at the show.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member

ive tried a lot of different brands and got frustradted till i tried Turtlw wax Platinum Series Ultra Wet Tire Shine... never changed again.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by DaWankler
And as someone else mentioned, most of those tires haven't seen the road. Your best bet is to pick up a set of show wheels and tires that only go on when you get the car set up at the show.

Umm no, spend 20 30 min cleaning your tires and wheels and get some good spray theres no need to buy wheels and tires just for shows that a waste of money unless its just a show car and then you probably trailer it anyways. Go to your local autozone and try some different stuff out everyone had there preference i like miguiers goes on easy and has a great shine
Old 10-31-2005, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member

They get that look by spraying something like vinyl protectant on their tire treads, but when you do this you lose some grip. If you do that make sure to drive around slowly for a lil while and no sudden stops, so as to wear off the protectant.

The product I use I apply with a squeeze bottle and trimmed paint brush...looks great.