Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

ClayBars Mother's or Meguiar's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ClayBars Mother's or Meguiar's?

I know there are other brands out there but the thing is I just bought the Meguiar's Clay kit and I heard some negative reviews (streaking). Is the streaking really that bad? Which is better? Mother's or Meguiar's?

I got the meguiar's b/c it came with 2 clays and a case for the clay plus a nice MF towel... yea stupid, I know... I read somewhere that one guy liked the meguiar's over the mother's but I dunno if i wana deal with the streaking. Thanks in advance
Old 06-28-2006, 08:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Have not seen the Meguiars yet. Most of the detailing products I use are Meguiars. It would be hard to believe that they have a bad product. I HAVE used the Mother's and it does a great job. Maybe I will see if I can find the Meguiars tomorrow and give it a try............
Old 06-28-2006, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meguiars! I have never had an issue with their products and I use the clay bar on a regular bases. No streaking! Just make sure you keep that bar wet.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome, i'm excited

I also got Meguiar's NXT paste for after the claybar and cleaner wax. Unfortunatrly I got a lot of visible dents/cracks (1 rock chip on the very tip of the hood, on chip on my driver side and a big **** dealer-caused crack on the driver side)... but yea... i'll post some pics if I do a good job. It's my first time

Thank goodness for a bajillion costco MF towels
Old 06-28-2006, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The local stores around here don't sell the Meguiar's Clay Bar kit, the AutoZone and Schucks (or Kragen or Checker, depending on what area you're from) only sell the Clay Magic or the Mother's California Gold kit. I tried both of those and I've had more success with the Mother's kit. I love that stuff. I've got every other piece of Meguiar's stuff for my car, but I haven't tried their Clay kit. I wanna try it, though.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The car is clean right now, took a break as the heavy heat from noon kicked in. I did the cleaning and drying under the shade of my tree and now the car's resting in the garage. I tried a bit of the claybar... at first I was scared cause it didn't seem to be working, but then I got into the flow of things and man that's smooth.

I am dissappointed in myself, though. I waited too long to start waxing my car... there are so many little imperfection! It's like a shot to the heart each time I discover something new. I also just discovered some more door dings (recent) and a ding on the passenger side front fender. Oh the horror.... But hey, that's life. It's my first car and I'm sorry my baby has to grow through the harsh treatment, but hey that'll only give 'er more "character" (hehe it's just like having a first child).
Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use clay magic, it's $10 and lasts a decent amount of time.
meg's seems to be too small (maybe i'm thinking of gold class)

also, i don't use the clay lube, i just use soapy water, it seems to work better for me
Old 06-29-2006, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I couldn't find the clay magic, but I heard it was the best... and yea, the meguiar's is kinda small and/or a little bit too soft.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I think all clay bars are about the same I have mothers, tropi-care and meguiars all seem the same to me and all work well