Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

DAMN LICENSE PLATE

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default DAMN LICENSE PLATE

I live in massachusetts and the state requires two license plates. I dont mind, i just dont want to have to drill holes in my painted front bumper. Is there any way to mount a front plate without modification to the car???
Old 03-10-2004, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member

Zip Ties and Duct Tape!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Old 03-10-2004, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You can also maybe make yourself a custom bracket. I have some friends whove done that on their cars.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i am having road block put on it (3M invisible bra). would double sided tape work??
Old 03-10-2004, 02:20 AM

Default Re: DAMN LICENSE PLATE

Originally Posted by ahurdl01
I live in massachusetts and the state requires two license plates. I dont mind, i just dont want to have to drill holes in my painted front bumper. Is there any way to mount a front plate without modification to the car???
If you check out or Palo Alto meet we had in Nor*cal. We had our plates installed Our plates on the front of the grill.
cutt and paste this link:http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...5553162&idx=10 you can see how the opr8r and me ( at the end) have the plates going though the grill. It is basiclly 2-3inch bolts and 4 washers and 6 bolts to hold them. Try it! Looks clean too.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member

i am having road block put on it (3M invisible bra). would double sided tape work??
Double sided tape will work fine on the 3M product. Just let it cure a day or so before applying. I installed the film on mine and it looks great but I had to wait until the dealer got one that wasnt "prepped " yet because I didnt like the holes either. Email me and I can send pics of the finished product or check the profile(profile will be tough to see film though).
Old 03-10-2004, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We don't need a front plate in AZ. Unfortunately, the CA dealer just had to stick an ad plate on the front and drill 2 holes! It doesn't look too bad ,,,I just reinserted the screws after taking the ad off. But it would have been nice if the dealer had shown some consideration and kept it clean. Just a word of warning for the new xB owners who don't need front plates, insist the dealer leave the bumper alone.

Sean
Old 03-10-2004, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well, for the dealers to pass the cars inspection they have to have two plates on. I think i will just lie to them and tell them i bought some carbon fiber japanese thing that i will mount when it comes over and that i uses a different mount system.

I will totally outsmart them
Old 03-10-2004, 07:25 PM

I was told that holes were drilled at the port when the cars get here and the dealer had no control on that. I didn't worry, I just put the plate to the side like in the photos I posted above.

Old 03-10-2004, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

whoever told you port does it was full of it . Plates and brackets are done at the dealership. In fact, when the cars come off the trucks at the dealership, the rear plate holes have tape over them.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: DAMN LICENSE PLATE

Originally Posted by Stylis
If you check out or Palo Alto meet we had in Nor*cal. We had our plates installed Our plates on the front of the grill.
cutt and paste this link:http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...5553162&idx=10 you can see how the opr8r and me ( at the end) have the plates going though the grill. It is basiclly 2-3inch bolts and 4 washers and 6 bolts to hold them. Try it! Looks clean too.
This is the way to do it. Keeps the bumper smooth and looks tight too. Luckily for me, my dealer hadn't screwed my bumper. I was stressing out about what to do until I saw the Nor*Cal setup... Now I just need a little reflective spray to treat the front when my plates get here.. Anyone know where that can still be found? I heard they were trying to control it...
Old 03-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Banned
SL Member

Pics look good with the plates on one side. I live in NJ, and we too have to have the front plates. Im just gonna bite the bullet, and stick it on the front. What i would suggest though, is that you install the plate with some kind of cushion behind it. I found out the hard way on my Accent. the front plate rubbed the paint off, and it started to flake off just the littliest bit. I plan on using some kinda dense foam backing.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

zip tie it behind the bottom grill and ur done. enjoy :D