Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Dupli color shield

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dupli color shield

So as the new owner of a 06 xB, and living in Florida, I am looking for ways to protect the nose of my box. Twice a year we are infested with "love bugs" that play havoc with the paint on our cars. I have seen photos of people using low stick painters tape for a temporary bra,

but was wondering if this product was any good.

Has anyone tried it? It comes in Gray, and Clear.[/img]
Old 08-31-2006, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

WOAH! That is cool... I, too, would like info on this product. Will light shine through?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I used the clear spray on my box when I went to the parents summer home. It's located on 20 miles of logging roads in Northern Ontario. I have the 3M clear bra on the front. Used the spray on the outsides of the wheel wells and the bottom/sides of the rocker panels and rear bumper.

Seemed to do the job. No sand abrasion on the rockers and no chips. I sprayed it on pretty thick. It didn't wash off in the rain. It came off with my normal bucket/soap/wash mit cleanup when I got home.

It says not to leave it on more than 3 days. I had it on for 5 without any issues.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by belleaudb
It says not to leave it on more than 3 days.
That's the reason I'm not going to use it. It felt like fraud to me, the way they advertised the stuff . . . and then to find that out when I read the label (I got mine mailorder, so I couldn't read the label before ordering).

If I could spray it on in the spring and then respray each time I wash my TARDIS, that would be one thing, but . . . . Three days, indeed. <hrrrmph>
Old 08-31-2006, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pooder
Originally Posted by belleaudb
It says not to leave it on more than 3 days.
That's the reason I'm not going to use it. It felt like fraud to me, the way they advertised the stuff . . . and then to find that out when I read the label (I got mine mailorder, so I couldn't read the label before ordering).

If I could spray it on in the spring and then respray each time I wash my TARDIS, that would be one thing, but . . . . Three days, indeed. <hrrrmph>
I saw it at wal mart, $7 and change a can, but I didn't read the can. I guess if you are going on a road trip it would be good though. Wonder if you can put it on over a good coat of wax or if that would affect it. I guess I better go read a can.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

hmm.. nice to hear an actuall review of the product and or a "educated" reason to not use it.... last time this topic came up it was all "bah i aint sprayin it on my car" "cant be good" talk w/o actual expericence or knowledge of it...

i may try it some on my car just to try and evaluate it.... i'm not to worried about it damaging the paint now cuz frankly you can play connect the dots on my car... and i'll be getting a respray this winter.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, ive seen ads for that stuff in a bunch of different colors. It would be handy to spray that stuff on to see what a new paint job might roughly look like and then just wash it off when you are done. Its probly on their website.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

Why not just go with Rockblocker?? its a 3M clear bra. You can contact him here. I would highly recommend it. its saved my box quite a few times from tire gators in the road, rock chips. you name it. Its worth its money.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gators in Arizona? Jk, bt that's a real good idea (the bra that is). Good call.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

true... could go with Rockblocker... i've heard good things about that too... but i've also seen some with rockblocker (or similar) taping up their cars anyways for a long road trip...
plus while the line it has is small and not too noticiable... some dont want that line permantly there...

sounds like if something is needed in a hurry.. this spray on stuff would work fine.... definately a lot quicker than taping a car for each road trip... and most if going to a show will wash their car on arrival anyways... with or w/o tape...
Old 09-01-2006, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I bought a can of that for a trip to NYC but did not use it because I was going to be gone for 6 days or more.

I have heard of people stretching kitchen plastic wrap on the from of their cars. I don't know how that stuff would stay on.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gardiner
I bought a can of that for a trip to NYC but did not use it because I was going to be gone for 6 days or more.

I have heard of people stretching kitchen plastic wrap on the from of their cars. I don't know how that stuff would stay on.
I can't imagine that doing anything. Then again, RockBlocker is pretty darn thin too.

I might give the spray on stuff a shot next time I take a trip. It's a good idea, but I agree, I'm a little leary of any paint protector that comes with a 3-day warning.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

The Saran wrap would just keep as many bugs from sticking to the paint as possible.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Thnks for the post, ive been looking for something to protect me on my weekend trip from Miami to Deltona.
Im going to use these this weekend and let you guys know how it goes
Old 09-02-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks pretty cool. Too bad the clear can't be used on the Box's windshield. Talk about connect the dots....

I've really thought about spray-in bedliner for rocker panels and such.....
Old 09-02-2006, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bubble2Box
That looks pretty cool. Too bad the clear can't be used on the Box's windshield. Talk about connect the dots....
The plastic wrap idea might work if you do it carefully and you don't plan on using your windshield wipers.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Saw an ad tonight for Dupli Color on the DIY (Do It Yourself) channel. they sell the shield as well as temporary paint for spraying on flames etc for the weekend. Might be worth putting some flames on for a few days--if I just had some stencils.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can think of some other uses for temporary paint... like tagging friends' cars and watching them freak out!