Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

First xB to take a dump? **UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default First xB to take a dump? **UPDATE**

Heres the deal kids...

Im driving home on the freeway a couple of nights ago. Check engine light comes on. I drive home since Im almost there. I get out and let it idol and I can here it kinda backfiring but really quiet like its bogging. I turn it off and go to bed. The next morning I fire it up and it feels okay as soon as it gets warm its starts idoling really rough. So I take it to the dealer.

So far they have changed, MAF Sensor, ALL spark plugs, coil packs, and fuel injectors, that doesnt fix it. Its misfiring on Cylinder 1. So they check the valves, head, piston, cylinder wall, all fine. They still cant figure out whats wrong I am stumped too. They are going to call the toyota "task force" that assist techs when they get stuck.

Long story short, Im suprised they went to those lengths so far to try to fix it. I will give the update when I hear it. Probably wont be till Tuesday however.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did they check for other obvious things like loose hose or cracked hose some were
Old 01-23-2004, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tech took me back to my car and was showing me what they had done, He was doing a fuel pressure test at that time. He said he had checked all the hoses and could not find anything. The computer was saying that there was a misfire on 1 but no reason.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any ideas are welcomed!?
Old 01-23-2004, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lemon law?
Old 01-23-2004, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

change the ECU
Old 01-23-2004, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Tuners

you put diesel fuel in instead of unleaded? or something is wrong with the computer itself?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scoobyslack
change the ECU
That was my initial thought, too.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think there is somthing about the lemon law that if you have it in service more than 3 times for the same problem then you can lemon it but if its the first time and it is fixed and no problems arise and it never happens again then your ok just sit back and let them do there job ---maby bringing in the task force will help us out if you get any answers from them

do you have another means of transportation or your insurance allows a rental or even the dealer loaner ???

be nice dont get heated about it you may come out ahead

i used to be a parts manager at a kia dealer iv seen a lot of these unknown problems and the service manager always said if the customer is cool about things ill go the extra mile if they're a di@& h^ad then ill treat them like one

im sure it will come out ok for you please let us know what comes of any thing!!!

chad
Old 01-23-2004, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hey sound like a burned valve the new toyotas have shimless valves the bucket is now 1 piece
Old 01-23-2004, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yes cool heads always prevail......

Let me ask the board something.... Has anyone here ever done a lemom-law??

its not as easy as the general public thinks, In my biz I hear people threaten that bullsh^t all the time and Id like to let all of you know that it is not that easy and it will cost you some money and yes, you do need to get a lawyer, hopefully a good one, I also hope all your claims are just and true because we have found that 95% of the time there is no validity to the said claims.

Back to the problem at hand, The tech support will figure it out and all will be handled under Warranty and you will once again love your Scion XB!!!!! X BOXX Bill
Old 01-23-2004, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ToolBox
you put diesel fuel in instead of unleaded? or something is wrong with the computer itself?
That was stupid no I didnt put diesel in it. Thats the last thing I can figure is the ECU, my initial thought was a bent valve but the Tech told me he checked it out and its okay.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That was stupid no I didnt put diesel in it. Thats the last thing I can figure is the ECU, my initial thought was a bent valve but the Tech told me he checked it out and its okay.[/quote]

what did he do to "check them out with" was it the roll on the table method or the roll between the thumb and two finger method !!!! or an actual machine

any idea of how he checked them out id like to know for my self

chad
Old 01-23-2004, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default lemon law

Maybe each state is different, but in TX you need no no atty... lemond my RS eclipse in 1996. I had 27 invoices in an 16 month period. Everything from clutch to tranny to radio went out. It costs no upfront money. But you are not sure if you are getting any back either. The law is designed to help the consumer but still be fair to the manufacturer. I got out of my diamond star lease or whatever it was, got some money back based on some weird enron prorated formula, and they got the lemon.

sure hope yours ain't a lemon... its got good genes...
Old 01-23-2004, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best of luck on finding the problem. We are all pulling for ya !

Sean
Old 01-23-2004, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bicepeak
Best of luck on finding the problem. We are all pulling for ya !

Sean
Yup
Old 01-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Banned
SL Member

Keep in mind that Scion already has bought back at least one xB for problems they couldnt find or fix ...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3912

the fix....

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5479

Hope it all works out for you.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
Keep in mind that Scion already has bought back at least one xB for problems they couldnt find or fix ...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3912

the fix....

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5479

Hope it all works out for you.
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing! Scion is very cool about this stuff, and they believe in the product...if the problem won't go away, and nobody can figure out what's wrong, they'll probably buy the car back and give you a new one...keep in touch with the Scion customer hotline if they can't resolve the issue.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well today after 7 days of doing nothing South Coast Toyota gave me a call.

They say I have to agree to pay 1500 dollars for a tear down estimate. If toyota decides that it was there fault. I have to pay. If they decide its there fault I dont pay.

Through the process of elmination the car basically has a bent valve. They want 1500 dollars to take the head off and THATS IT. Parts everything extra.

I was ____ed so I went round and round with the dealer and scion corp. Basically, IM getting shafted I buy some extra care warranty and they cant even tell me whats wrong with the car. The thing is under warranty and you would think that covers a diagnosis, but no it doesnt.

While talking to the service manager and having him blow smoke up my ___ for a hour, he stated "we want to help you, last thing we or toyota needs is to go to court" in a smart ___ tone. Hmm. I said I wouldnt do that my Uncle is the head Attorney for Toyota. Holly hell did that smug lil ____ change his tone he said "well...um.. have him pull some strings, but since that is the deal I CAN CUT YOUR LABOR PRICE IN HALF and do the tear down estimate for 650 bucks" SO basically right there hes telling me he was trying to screw me earlier. 650 bucks is still WAY to much just to take a head off.

END RESULT: Warranty is ____ and I get shafted.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

P.S. Anyone have a good place to get head work done, I may as well get it ported if I am going to have to deal with this crap anyways.

Quick Reply: First xB to take a dump? **UPDATE**