Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Glass cleaners vs sealants or waxes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:01 PM
SL Member

Default Glass cleaners vs sealants or waxes

I am in a constant battle cleaning my car...

Everytime I wash it, I need to clean the windows, but inevitably some of the glass cleaner gets on my paint. Being worried this stripped my sealant, I feel I need to wash and wax again.

Repeat.

I have tried researching but I can't find anything definintive... does glass cleaner (such as windex with amonia and invisible glass) strip sealant (I use klasse AIO)?

It seems to me it would strip wax for sure, but since klasse claims to be acrylic and windex says safe on plastic does that mean klasse holds up against it?

I would like to be able to stop worrying evertime a few drips of windex gets on my paint. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh man, compulsive??

No idea about the abrasiveness of the cleaners, but:

How about just spraying the glass cleaner onto the microfiber towel (not facing the car) and then clean the window? No spray and no risk of it getting on the paint. Just dampen the towel with cleaner, wash window, dry window.

Issue solved!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:05 AM
SL Member

I will be doing that or getting wipes from now on for sure...

What inevitably happend was that I was holding the spray bottle (of windex as it were) and I would accidentally press the nozzle a bit causing it to spray on the car. Or some would just drip off the coth onto the car if I was using a lot that swipe.

Compulsive? Yes... very much so... no two ways about it... hehe
Old 06-17-2008, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

use auto glass cleaner!!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would throw that windex in the garbage. When you wash your car, wash your windows too, and treat with AIO just as you do your car. AIO is great on glass and will keep them cleaner longer, just like it does for your paint.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

STONERS glass cleaner FTW!!!...
As soon as it hits any painted part of the car, it evaporates...
Old 07-26-2008, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im crazy about this cleaning methods.. so here is what i do:

I DONT USE GLASS CLEANERS!!!

first: when i wash my car.. i was my windows too.. so it wont be dirty.. right? than i wax it!
YES I WAX MY WINDOWS!!! it works fantastic ! it will have the same results as the rainX!

btw if you want to use rainx instead of wax get some microfiber towels ( the soft ones) its so much easier to clean it than using the plain paper towels..
Old 07-28-2008, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Glass cleaners vs sealants or waxes

Originally Posted by Devedander
Everytime I wash it, I need to clean the windows, but inevitably some of the glass cleaner gets on my paint. Being worried this stripped my sealant, I feel I need to wash and wax again.

I have tried researching but I can't find anything definintive... does glass cleaner (such as windex with amonia and invisible glass) strip sealant (I use klasse AIO)?
Answered below.

Originally Posted by CSOCSO
I DONT USE GLASS CLEANERS!!!

first: when i wash my car.. i was my windows too.. so it wont be dirty.. right? than i wax it!
YES I WAX MY WINDOWS!!! it works fantastic ! it will have the same results as the rainX!

btw if you want to use rainx instead of wax get some microfiber towels ( the soft ones) its so much easier to clean it than using the plain paper towels..
I would have thought would leave your glass a bit smeary. Wax isn't designed for glass and not too kind to windscreen wipers.

I personally use either Rainex or Prestone water dispersant's, whether it's my car or I'm grooming a clients car. I apply a few drops to a cloth, rub across, then remove the excess once it's cured. Good enough that I've had comments on clarity at different shows that I've competed & been placed in.

Devedander, I think I've answered your questions as above, also don't get glass dispersant on your paint. As you'll probably notice rain disperant will basically lift most things off glass, glass is way harder than paint. If there are any real stubborn nasties on the glass, I use the Turbo Wax Bug & Oxidation Block (it's sort of like a clay bar).
http://www.turbowax.com/cat/bug-remover/

Also note don't use the Rainex or Prestone on the interior glass, exterior only. Use a normal automotive glass cleaner for the inside. Meg's NXT glass cleaner is fine for this.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"not too kind to windscreen wipers. "

why do you think this?
just wax half of your windshield once and just rub it with the microfiber towel back and forth on the waxed and non waxed area and you will realize that the windshield itself without wax on it is the WORST! its sticky... it would do more damage to your wipers!!!! wax your windshield... the glass will be sooo smooth!!!! i love it..

fyi: i used the rainx for MONTHS.. maybe a year.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 AM

"not too kind to windscreen wipers. " why do you think this?
A question for you, do you put wax on the rubber and plastic around your car too?! Most waxes (bar Turbo Wax) will whiten rubber, and wax isn't good for the surface of rubber. Wiper Blades are rubber, are they not. Wax is designed for painted surfaces. I'm just trying to pass on accurate information.

just wax half of your windshield once and just rub it with the microfiber towel back and forth on the waxed and non waxed area and you will realize that the windshield itself without wax on it is the WORST! its sticky... it would do more damage to your wipers!!!! wax your windshield... the glass will be sooo smooth!!!! i love it..
Wax on glass causes smearing. Rain dispersant will increase the optical clarity of the glass, and the water will bead off the dispersant.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you ever tried it?

i pretty sure u dont know what are you talking about!
OR!!!! u tried it with the wrong wax!

as i told you i was using RainX almost for a year.. used two bottles plus that little pocket rainx wipes i used them like 40-50 times?

and believe me if something was causing a lots of smearing that was these rainx products!!!!! i had to wipe them twice for like 3 minutes!

with the microfiber towel its reduced to 1 minute ( talking about the windshield)

so what i like in rainx : i dont even have to use my vipers and i can see out perfectly when its raining.

about the wax? ITS THE SAME!!!!!!!!! it will not cause any smearing.. im waxing my windshield the second time and my eyes are good ;)
and there is no smearing no clouds, white stuff on my windshield...
and it has the same results as the rainx!!!! so why would i buy those stuff if the wax works PERFECTLY!!!

btw im using NU FINISH wax...
Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bronzee
"not too kind to windscreen wipers. " why do you think this?
A question for you, do you put wax on the rubber and plastic around your car too?! Most waxes (bar Turbo Wax) will whiten rubber, and wax isn't good for the surface of rubber. Wiper Blades are rubber, are they not. Wax is designed for painted surfaces. I'm just trying to pass on accurate information.

Wax on glass causes smearing. Rain dispersant will increase the optical clarity of the glass, and the water will bead off the dispersant.
why would i put wax on any rubber parts?

i said windshield (glass), but guess what.. rainx is not good for plastic or rubber either!!!!!!!!

when u put wax on your car u dont need to put a lot.. just a little bit, so you leave the stuff on your paint/glass for a little bit and you wipe it off!!! and after that you cant tell that there is wax on the windshield...

if you put wax on rubber like the wipers and leave it there to dry it.. yeah of course it wouldnt be good for the rubber... but i didnt do that....but who would do that?

just try it once.. clean your windshield
when it s dry apply some wax on half of your windshield then leave it there for like a half a minute and wipe it off.. when is clean again take that microfiber towel and wipe your WHOLE windshield from left to right just to feel the waxed and non waxed half...

now get some water in a bottle: stop somewhere just before u go up to the highway pur all the water on your windshield on both area.. then accelerate up to 70mph... and see what happens.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay i couldnt stand it so i made a video:

right click save as

1) i never said that the wax is better than the rainx!
2) rainX is AWESOME! LOVED IT! i used it every time i washed my car!
3) i just realized 2-3 weeks ago that the wax works as well, so i dont need to buy RainX bottles anymore i just use the wax, because it works PERFECT!

yes i wax ALL my glasses on the car except the mirrors
( only from the outside but i dont use any glass cleaning stuff.. i got some microfiber glass cleaning towels. i just poor some regular water on the towel, then squeeze the towel really hard so it wont be wet only just a little bit and i clean it with that after that i use another one which is dry.. i use this stuff and no matter how dusty or greasy is the inside it will clean it!!!!!)

any "?"
Old 07-30-2008, 02:45 AM

Ah, see you do understand.

i said windshield (glass), but guess what.. rainx is not good for plastic or rubber either!!!!!!!!
Lol.

when u put wax on your car u dont need to put a lot.. just a little bit, so you leave the stuff on your paint/glass for a little bit and you wipe it off!!! and after that you cant tell that there is wax on the windshield...
But your wipers pass across the glass.

Now, I didn't at any time, say that the water would not bead off the "waxed" glass.

I've high end show and comp groomed some amazing cars. Looks like we'll have to differ on options here.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 AM

[quote="Bronzee"]
Ah, see you do understand.

Lol.

But your wipers pass across the glass.

Now, I didn't at any time, say that the water would not bead off the "waxed" glass.

I've high end show and comp groomed some amazing cars. Looks like we'll have to differ on options here.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to be honest i understood NOTHING what you just said.
it must be my poor english. sorry
Old 08-28-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rain X is corrosive so.... I'm worried about using that crap on my windows. I mean, corrosive? No thanks.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:17 AM
SL Member

Sorry if this has been covered, but I read someone saying that they wax their windows..... Now I'm only 17 so I'm no expert, but I worked at a high end detailing place for a year and once a new worker decided he was going to wax his windows. I'm not sure why but one of the high trained professional detailers immedietly told him not to, that it was a bad idea. He said there were a lot of reasons, like A. wax isn't meant for windows. B. it can build up and interefere with the windows opening and closing and I don't remember C, sorry, haha.

Sicne I don't really know much on the subject I can't say don't do it, but if it were me(I've waxed them once and decided it wasn't worth it) I would NOT wax windows, as its meant for paint.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Banned
SL Member

windex makes your car interior turn dull because it is abrasive. Use auto glass cleaners that are safe for your ride, Amoral has
some pretty good glass cleaners and there cleaners dont contain ammonia. However do not use 402 on your interior..even though it smells good, it created bumps and unevenness around my entire dashboard where i used it.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think its Meguiar's that makes interior-specific plastic cleaner.

Quick Reply: Glass cleaners vs sealants or waxes