Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

goofed on touchup repair, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member

Default goofed on touchup repair, HELP

--STORY--
So I got the dupli color - scratch fix 2in1 touch up repair kit to fix a chip on the box driver side door . Followed the instruction and had to do some sanding at the end, which was after clearcoating.

So after the clearcoat dried I started sanding with the sand paper included with the kit. I readed up on repairing chips on the internet before doing this and follow the sandpaper chad on a pencil eraser technique since it was a small chip. I sand the area carefully with plenty of water and checking/feeling on it to make sure I was not over sanding. Every thing felt smooth so i thought everything was find.

--PROBLEM--
In direct sun light, the area I've been working on looks like a bulge or a deep crater, at diffrent angles. Its really noticable, looks worser than the chip ...
I can,t really tell, because when i feel on it i fell nothing. i even try slaping on some play-doh to see what it was, nothing...

I sometimes have the feeling that i over sanded because that crater looks really convicing, but on the other hand, when it looks like a bulge i get the urge to sand off that mug. If it was a bulge, due to left over clearcoat, that would would be a good thing.

i have dont know what else i can do but to start the repair all over. any suggestions?
--Question--
1. How do I get the touchup clear coat off so I can get to the chip without making thing worse? Any products out there?
2. If it did ended up being a crater due to over sanding, what can I do to make it less noticeable...will adding more clearcoat work?
Old 12-11-2004, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not too sure w/o pics but it sounds like you put the clearcoat on without sanding the touch-up paint first. It may feel smooth and flat but there might be a dimple on the touch-up paint that is filled in w/ clearcoat. Did you overfill the chip slightly w/ paint then sand flat? Oh and when sanding I like to use one of those small rectangle erasers as a sanding block to keep even pressure and not create high or low spots.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

did you sand the chip first so its feathered in? Or did you just try to fill it with paint?

Also the crater could of been caused if you didnt use a block and used just your fingers..it will feel smooth, but will leave a indentation were you used a few fingers to sand.