Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

A Heads up on TSB's (Rant from a Toyota Tech.)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A Heads up on TSB's (Rant from a Toyota Tech.)

Ok, I found this from ToyotaNation.com...

Its a good read...

"Rant from a Toyota Tech
/rant on

Well it happened again Saturday, its almost a common occurance, and its something that I wish people would become educated on. I received a work order that read ?Customer states rattle from sunroof area, per customer TSB cover this problem?.

I have been a Toyota technician since April of 1991 but it just amazes me that someone can sit down and read something on the internet and automatically think they know more than I do. Just because you read that there is a TSB out for your vehicle DOES NOT mean it automatically applies to your vehicle. In fact out of all the work orders I receive where the CUSTOMER SAYS the sunroof TSB applies, the TSB actually fixed maby 1 out of 4 of these vehicles. I so wish that you guys would just go and tell the service advisor what your problem actually is and let ME THE TECHNICIAN decide if there is a TSB for your problem or if its something else, FORGET THE TSB?S YOU HAVE READ AND DO NOT EVEN MENTION IT.

Here is where the problem comes in:

Service Advisor?s Job - A good service advisor puts all the information you tell them into the work order for your vehicle, if you mention a TSB they put it in that you mentioned the TSB.

Warranty Administrator?s Job ? A warranty administrator?s job is to get me paid (YES I DO THIS FOR A LIVING). Now a warranty administrator also ensures that I don?t screw warranty by doing extra stuff.

The problem ? The service advisor puts on the ticket that the problem you have is the TSB because you told him it was, now that mean?s I am going to get paid 0 diagnosis time. So if you all knowing TSB readers say your problem is the TSB, all I am getting paid to do is pull your vehicle in and perform that 1 repair and pull your vehicle out. So if your LUCKY maby the TSB did apply to your vehicle, but if it was any of the other COMMON rattle areas in your vehicle your screwed, your vehicle did not get fixed. And the reason it did not get fixed???????????????????????? BECAUSE YOU ALL KNOWING PEOPLE SAID FOR YOURSELF THAT THE TSB APPLIED TO YOUR VEHICLE, YOU SELF DIAGNOSED THE PROBLEM FOR ME, I AM NOT GOING TO GET PAID DIAGNOSIS TIME TO FIND THE RATTLE ON YOUR VEHICLE BECAUSE IN THE WARRANTY ADMINISTRATORS EYES YOU TOLD ME WHAT IT WAS. Now after the repair when I test drive your vehicle to verify that the sunroof is not POPING the way the TSB covers Im done. If I hear the ticking from the sunroof garnish?s or the rattle from the sunroof controls, tough ____, its not getting fixed because YOU SAID THE PROBLEM WAS THE SUNROOF POP AS DESCRIBED IN THE TSB.

Ok, /rant off now. Where this whole post is comeing from is when I was leaveing work Saturday the same guy I was describeing above was calling me an idiot and incompitent technician for not fixing his car. Well buddy when I finished with your vehicle and drove it I heard the sunroof garnish rattle and figured it was probably what you were hearing, but due to your all knowing TSB knowledge I was not going to get paid for repairing it, because the warranty lady would consider it an add on repair. If you would of just simply told the advisor the vehicle was rattleing and pointed out the exact location of the noise your vehicle would have been fixed. You doomed yourself for being a TSB expert.

And its not just him, you internet trolls who try to self diagnose your vehicle cause your own headaches. Just tell me what your problem is, not what you think the cause is, I make my living by doing this. If you self diagnose a TSB that only pays .7 hours there is no way in hell I am going to spend 3 hours fixing the REAL problem and still only get paid .7. But if you would of just simply pointed out your problem your car would have been fixed right the first time.

And on a side note. The Scion Tc?s have more rattles than a coffee can full of rocks, they will never be completely quiet. They have almost no sound deadening material in them, for god sakes the headliner is held up with industrial strength Velcro. If you?re the kind of person that can hear a squirrel fart at 100 yards then Im sorry but you might as well just accept that your Tc is going to make noise, expecially with the sunroof sunshade open.

Here is a link.... http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t50972.html
Old 10-28-2004, 08:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

gooosfraba
GOOOS - FRA - BA
Old 10-28-2004, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So are you saying tC's are "cheaper" than xA/B?

I think what the gut was trying to say is if you mention a TSB- they will fix your car according to that TSB.- they do not get paid more to diagnose any other problem. Now If you tell them that a certian part of your car is rattlling- they diagnose the problem= they get paid to diagnose the problem=Toyota tech is happy!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: A Heads up on TSB's (Rant from a Toyota Tech.)

If you?re the kind of person that can hear a squirrel fart at 100 yards
I love this one
Old 10-28-2004, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, That is funny!- I thought tC's were supposed to be quite- apparently not!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TrafficinLA
If you?re the kind of person that can hear a squirrel fart at 100 yards
I love this one
Yeah, that was a good one.

I hear where the guy is coming from, I used to be a Service Advisor. If someone says "This thing needs a new water pump" You replace it. If it's not the problem, that's their fault. If they say "I'm getting xxx noise. Might be from the water pump", the tech will look for the problem and fix THE problem.

It doesn't hurt to suggest, IMO, but don't make it sound like a diagnosis and give a plan of correction.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Back In Black xA
As for the tC headliner that is a true statement, I had to take one out one time, velcro is all that holds it. If anyone wonders how they offer the tC for only $17k yet seems like it should cost more that's because they have major cost cutting and use cheap ___ parts. Part of the reason I don't care for them as much as I do xA/xB.
Wouldn't the velco make it easier to "customize"? Cheap ___ parts? Interior parts or engine/powertrain parts?
Old 10-28-2004, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

I think the rant is a bunch of ____ and the people _____ing about not getting paid are being petty. Its not the customers fault your not getting paid even if they bring in the TSB thats a problem with the Corp guru's. Take it up with them. My dad was a mechanic for over 30 years before he passed and I know customers who bring there vehicles in can be misinforned and not know a muffler barring to blinker fluid. But as a tech and the profession thats your job to deal with it period. I know mechanic's don't get nearly paid enough for there work and expertise. Again not the customers fault bring in up in managment etc. By acting like an @ss in the above posts your not helping anyone, and hurting youself more. I can see someone read this and go great there not going to fix a damn thing so I better point out every minor rattle or problem and get it all fixed. At your expense of not being paid. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused
Ok, I found this from ToyotaNation.com...

Its a good read...

"Rant from a Toyota Tech
/rant on

Well it happened again Saturday, its almost a common occurance, and its something that I wish people would become educated on. I received a work order that read ?Customer states rattle from sunroof area, per customer TSB cover this problem?.

I have been a Toyota technician since April of 1991 but it just amazes me that someone can sit down and read something on the internet and automatically think they know more than I do. Just because you read that there is a TSB out for your vehicle DOES NOT mean it automatically applies to your vehicle. In fact out of all the work orders I receive where the CUSTOMER SAYS the sunroof TSB applies, the TSB actually fixed maby 1 out of 4 of these vehicles. I so wish that you guys would just go and tell the service advisor what your problem actually is and let ME THE TECHNICIAN decide if there is a TSB for your problem or if its something else, FORGET THE TSB?S YOU HAVE READ AND DO NOT EVEN MENTION IT.

Here is where the problem comes in:

Service Advisor?s Job - A good service advisor puts all the information you tell them into the work order for your vehicle, if you mention a TSB they put it in that you mentioned the TSB.

Warranty Administrator?s Job ? A warranty administrator?s job is to get me paid (YES I DO THIS FOR A LIVING). Now a warranty administrator also ensures that I don?t screw warranty by doing extra stuff.

The problem ? The service advisor puts on the ticket that the problem you have is the TSB because you told him it was, now that mean?s I am going to get paid 0 diagnosis time. So if you all knowing TSB readers say your problem is the TSB, all I am getting paid to do is pull your vehicle in and perform that 1 repair and pull your vehicle out. So if your LUCKY maby the TSB did apply to your vehicle, but if it was any of the other COMMON rattle areas in your vehicle your screwed, your vehicle did not get fixed. And the reason it did not get fixed???????????????????????? BECAUSE YOU ALL KNOWING PEOPLE SAID FOR YOURSELF THAT THE TSB APPLIED TO YOUR VEHICLE, YOU SELF DIAGNOSED THE PROBLEM FOR ME, I AM NOT GOING TO GET PAID DIAGNOSIS TIME TO FIND THE RATTLE ON YOUR VEHICLE BECAUSE IN THE WARRANTY ADMINISTRATORS EYES YOU TOLD ME WHAT IT WAS. Now after the repair when I test drive your vehicle to verify that the sunroof is not POPING the way the TSB covers Im done. If I hear the ticking from the sunroof garnish?s or the rattle from the sunroof controls, tough ____, its not getting fixed because YOU SAID THE PROBLEM WAS THE SUNROOF POP AS DESCRIBED IN THE TSB.

Ok, /rant off now. Where this whole post is comeing from is when I was leaveing work Saturday the same guy I was describeing above was calling me an idiot and incompitent technician for not fixing his car. Well buddy when I finished with your vehicle and drove it I heard the sunroof garnish rattle and figured it was probably what you were hearing, but due to your all knowing TSB knowledge I was not going to get paid for repairing it, because the warranty lady would consider it an add on repair. If you would of just simply told the advisor the vehicle was rattleing and pointed out the exact location of the noise your vehicle would have been fixed. You doomed yourself for being a TSB expert.

And its not just him, you internet trolls who try to self diagnose your vehicle cause your own headaches. Just tell me what your problem is, not what you think the cause is, I make my living by doing this. If you self diagnose a TSB that only pays .7 hours there is no way in hell I am going to spend 3 hours fixing the REAL problem and still only get paid .7. But if you would of just simply pointed out your problem your car would have been fixed right the first time.

And on a side note. The Scion Tc?s have more rattles than a coffee can full of rocks, they will never be completely quiet. They have almost no sound deadening material in them, for god sakes the headliner is held up with industrial strength Velcro. If you?re the kind of person that can hear a squirrel fart at 100 yards then Im sorry but you might as well just accept that your Tc is going to make noise, expecially with the sunroof sunshade open.

Here is a link.... http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t50972.html
don't feel alone, Because when i worked @ BMW, most of the M3 owners did the same crap. but we were smarter and looked it up on the comp and it stated before the car was even written up that it didn't qualify for the campaign. so ....

you kids out there stop that!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BLKTOYBOX
I think the rant is a bunch of ____ and the people _____ing about not getting paid are being petty. Its not the customers fault your not getting paid even if they bring in the TSB thats a problem with the Corp guru's. Take it up with them. My dad was a mechanic for over 30 years before he passed and I know customers who bring there vehicles in can be misinforned and not know a muffler barring to blinker fluid. But as a tech and the profession thats your job to deal with it period. I know mechanic's don't get nearly paid enough for there work and expertise. Again not the customers fault bring in up in managment etc. By acting like an @ss in the above posts your not helping anyone, and hurting youself more. I can see someone read this and go great there not going to fix a damn thing so I better point out every minor rattle or problem and get it all fixed. At your expense of not being paid. Just my 2 cents.
he isnt saying that if you dont point out every rattle it wont get fixed. hes saying if you come in and say " x rattles, i would like the tsb work done" that they will only do that. they arent going to search for rattles that arent related to that tsb.

but if you came in and said "x rattles" they will look for that rattle and try to fix it. but if you tell them whats wrong they will fix what you said is wrong. they arent going to search for something you didnt tell them is wrong.

so when you go in just say you hear a rattle and where you hear it. dont try telling them what to fix. let them figure it out like they are suppose to. suggest what you think it might be, but dont tell them what to exactly do.

atleast thats how i understood what he was talking about.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or you can take a vehicle in and say I don't know what is wrong. Hours later and a ___ load of hourly charges they tell 50 things that are wrong. Half the time what they fix doesn't fix the problem you brought it in for. I am not saying that all shops you take it to will rip you off but there are enough that willl. A customer can't go in and give someone a blank check to go over everything in the entire car. If you are not getting paid take it up with the people who pay you, it's not the customer's fault.

Quit being a little _____ and do your job. Talk to people that have to deal customers: Who the hell is happy with them all the time?
Old 10-28-2004, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

My point was what Naes said in his last remark. I don't think its a bad thing to be an informed consumer. I have been having problems with my air conditioning. I took to toyota they looked and said it was fine. I still noticed a problem of it not getting cold enough. I friend showed me the TSB report I compied it and took it to the dealer. They had no idea about it, and called over the lead scion tech who ownes an xb too. He never heard of it. He mad some adjustments fallowed what the reports siad to try and do, and thus I'm getting a whole new AC system since mine blows at only 64 degrees. I personally don't care for someone to _____ about there pay when the customer has nothing to do with it. Its like hearing anyone else _____ about there job, hey if you don't like it leave and find something else.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

However I ignore what customers say because customers are not technicians and have no idea what they are talking about ever anyway. So if the TSB ain't going to fix it I don't do it, its that simple.
Hey, now there is an attitude that will win you lots of customer accolades!

How about when you get a vehicle with the "CD skip" problem? Do you sit there and listen the CD player for the 45 minutes to an hour that it takes for the problem to occur because the customers "have no idea of what they are talking about"? After all, you have to hear it for yourself, right?

I had a "technician" bounce my car back when he couldn't reproduce the CD skip problem. I suppose that he considered me to be incompetant in the recognition of a big blank spot in the music. This did not give me a warm feeling about toyota customer service. In fact, my vehicle won't go back to a Toyota dealer again unless (heaven forbid) it needs another warranty service. Instead, it will go to an independent mechanic (not a high and mighty "technician") who knows the value of listening to the customer.

You should also read the TSBs a bit more carefully. Note that they say:

Applicable Warranty**:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in
effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
in-service date.
**Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
Note that it does not say *technician's* complaint! It says *customer's* complaint. The customer, after all, is why you have a job.

George
Old 10-28-2004, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

He has a job because cars are not perfect.
He has a job because cars do have defects.

Are their bad apples in every bunch?

He is simply trying to share the misconception.

Warranty claims have to be justified. Sermanagers and writers are supposed to listen to people claims.

Omer.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KingofScion
He has a job because cars are not perfect.
He has a job because cars do have defects.

Are their bad apples in every bunch?

He is simply trying to share the misconception.

Warranty claims have to be justified. Sermanagers and writers are supposed to listen to people claims.

Omer.
The problem is that the service writers and managers are often the barrier that has to be overcome before needed warranty service is grudgingly provided. Being assumed to be either lying or incompetent doesn't sit well with most customers.

My "CD skip" warranty claim illustrates this well. The "technician", after a superficial trial, said "could not reproduce problem". Not surprising, as this problem occurs about once per disk. The service writer said "If we can't reproduce it, we can't replace the unit". The service manager merely echoed the service writer.

Obviously, this was a catch-22. The "technician" wouldn't spend the time required to verify the problem, and the supposed "dealer policy" was that no repair be made if the problem couldn't be reproduced.

Only when I took my "case" to the service manager's _boss_ did he agree to repair what was a well-known and documented problem. Dealers like to brag about their "speedy customer service", but the procedure at this dealer was obviously one of delay and deny.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused
So are you saying tC's are "cheaper" than xA/B?

I think what the gut was trying to say is if you mention a TSB- they will fix your car according to that TSB.- they do not get paid more to diagnose any other problem. Now If you tell them that a certian part of your car is rattlling- they diagnose the problem= they get paid to diagnose the problem=Toyota tech is happy!
xA is a $13k car they charge $13k for, xB is a $15k car they charge $15k for, tC is a $21k car they charge $17k for. Trust me they figured out a way to skimp and get that $4000 bucks back out of it.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrafficinLA
As for the tC headliner that is a true statement, I had to take one out one time, velcro is all that holds it. If anyone wonders how they offer the tC for only $17k yet seems like it should cost more that's because they have major cost cutting and use cheap ___ parts. Part of the reason I don't care for them as much as I do xA/xB.
Wouldn't the velco make it easier to "customize"? Cheap ___ parts? Interior parts or engine/powertrain parts?
Customize? What are you going to customize about a headliner. The engine in the tC is identical to a Camry engine. But the interior and the rest of it seem cheap to me, I don't like it at all. I think the glass roof was a cool idea but they tried to put so much into a car for so cheap that the execution is just not great. Everyone with a tC says it sounds like their roof is ready to fall off. If you ask me unless they make a car that is near perfect (which would be their goal) but can only make one that is so/so I think its better of them to go all out or nothing at all.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by George
However I ignore what customers say because customers are not technicians and have no idea what they are talking about ever anyway. So if the TSB ain't going to fix it I don't do it, its that simple.
Hey, now there is an attitude that will win you lots of customer accolades!

How about when you get a vehicle with the "CD skip" problem? Do you sit there and listen the CD player for the 45 minutes to an hour that it takes for the problem to occur because the customers "have no idea of what they are talking about"? After all, you have to hear it for yourself, right?

I had a "technician" bounce my car back when he couldn't reproduce the CD skip problem. I suppose that he considered me to be incompetant in the recognition of a big blank spot in the music. This did not give me a warm feeling about toyota customer service. In fact, my vehicle won't go back to a Toyota dealer again unless (heaven forbid) it needs another warranty service. Instead, it will go to an independent mechanic (not a high and mighty "technician") who knows the value of listening to the customer.

You should also read the TSBs a bit more carefully. Note that they say:

Applicable Warranty**:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in
effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
in-service date.
**Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
Note that it does not say *technician's* complaint! It says *customer's* complaint. The customer, after all, is why you have a job.

George
Its routine that if a problem cannot be reproduced we send it out the door. Complaining about some sound you heard for half a second a week ago is pointless unless it can be reproduced every single time. How can we pin point something when we hear nothing the customer says "its making a sound from like the front somewhere." That means nothing. If we can't hear a sound what do you want us to do. If it can't be reproduced than it is so minor why even complain or bring it to the dealer.

If a CD was skipping I would possibly take out their CD look at it, see if it looked damaged. Perhaps put in a known good CD and test it. If I hear nothing send it out the door. If it comes back than warranty them a new CD player and call it a day. It's coming out of Toyota's dollar, not the customer or mine so what do either of us care.

People expect Corollas and Echos to be completely perfect. If you want some kind of immpecible driving vehicle than buy a Rolls Royce. In life you get what you pay for.

Last week I had a customer complain about a beeping sound in their MR2. So I drive it and I hear it so I look around and find that it is a pager inside the car that is beeping because it is signaling that it is running out of batteries. Not a problem with the car but I have to deal with it. If you worked a job where you only made commission and if you aren't working you aren't making money would you be happy about dealing with no existent problems. How dare people make assumptions that we are whining and it is not their fault. If I came to your job and wasted your time you would be ____ed to. Being a mechanic is a hard job and it consumes you life, most people in the shop work 56+ hours a week, thats way more than everyone with a normal 9-5 job. It's a hard job and not everyone is cut out for it. Give people the respect they deserve, not everyone is a crook trying to rip out off. Your car is under warranty anyway, your not paying for the repairs.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't want that service tech looking at my car - he gets paid extra for diagnostics? I'm skeptical. And then one minute he says people are stupid for assuming it's a TSB repair and then saying he can't fix other noises anyway...

And why is it bad the headliner is held on with industrial strength velcro? I prefer that to glue or staples...how else do you attach a headliner with an all-glass roof?
Old 10-29-2004, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrtc
I wouldn't want that service tech looking at my car - he gets paid extra for diagnostics? I'm skeptical. And then one minute he says people are stupid for assuming it's a TSB repair and then saying he can't fix other noises anyway...

And why is it bad the headliner is held on with industrial strength velcro? I prefer that to glue or staples...how else do you attach a headliner with an all-glass roof?
Glass is only on the outside, it still has a full metal skeleton that goes around the non-sunroof areas and of course the headliner has holes in it where the glass would be. And honestly velcro is the least concern anyone should have about the headliner. I would be more angry about the sunroof sliding out cover thing. I don't understand why they didn't make it power like the C230, couldn't possibly cost that much more.

Quick Reply: A Heads up on TSB's (Rant from a Toyota Tech.)