Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Help: Stereo suddenly not reading cd's

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member

Default Help: Stereo suddenly not reading cd's

I was on my way to Maine from Western Mass. on Thursday when all of a sudden my stereo stopped playing the cd I was listening to. It won't read any cd's at all. I took the car to a dealer today, and the tech told me I can't use any burnt cd's at all in the car once I get my new stereo, because otherwise they won't replace it again if it breaks. Anyone else have this happen to them? And if so, is there a way to reset the memory of the stereo to "force" it to read cd's again?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Banned
SL Member

My friends did the same, take itto the dealer, they replaced it
Old 10-11-2004, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I say that is bullsh!t. How can you tell someone not to use burnt cd's when the cd player is able to play mp3 disc. That would make the mp3 part worthless if we're not able to play burnt cd's.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by vosteven
I say that is bullsh!t. How can you tell someone not to use burnt cd's when the cd player is able to play mp3 disc. That would make the mp3 part worthless if we're not able to play burnt cd's.
Yeah, thats crap. I take it these service writers are also Pioneer techs. Find another dealer if they give you any crap.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u dont even have to tell them what kind of CDs u put in there...

they have to replace it...
Old 10-11-2004, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... tell the tech to go **beep** himself. Listen to everyone else: don't go back to that dealer. In fact, I'd call Scion and complain about that place. That's the biggest load of horse manure I've ever heard. Besides, since when did burned CDs destroy CD players anyway?
Old 10-16-2004, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Help: Stereo suddenly not reading cd's

Originally Posted by rabid_ego
I was on my way to Maine from Western Mass. on Thursday when all of a sudden my stereo stopped playing the cd I was listening to. It won't read any cd's at all. I took the car to a dealer today, and the tech told me I can't use any burnt cd's at all in the car once I get my new stereo, because otherwise they won't replace it again if it breaks. Anyone else have this happen to them? And if so, is there a way to reset the memory of the stereo to "force" it to read cd's again?
same thing happened on the radio in my tC.. and yes it was a burned CD.. would also happened with regular cds.. It would be playing then time/track info disappeared and no sound at all.. then it came back on, after i hit eject a couple times..

too bad I know a little something about burning standards (work in IT).. so dealer couldn't pull that crap excuses about burned cd's.... local dealer didn't care to replace it, wanted to see it malfunction.. what a joke.. took it to another dealer, they replaced it.. two more times! It works fine now, I'm on my third radio..

I did call Scion and start a file with them about this.. pioneer has some crappy quality! 3 radios to get it right? sheesh.. I never did care for the pioneer brand! Would've rather had alpine instead.. but hey it's free.. works good enough
but tell scion of your crappy experince with this dealer and their excuses and how they are telling you that you'll have to live with a radio that doesn't do what it's supposed to do.. Manual clearly states that CD-R, CD-RW discs can be used.. just takes a couple extra seconds to play since the laser has to focus on it.. (not going into how cd's are different right now)

and as far as if it breaks using burned cd's? That's hilarious.. You are talking to morons! So take your car to another dealer and get better service.. I did and my radio is fine now..
Old 10-17-2004, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Help: Stereo suddenly not reading cd's

Originally Posted by rabid_ego
I was on my way to Maine from Western Mass. on Thursday when all of a sudden my stereo stopped playing the cd I was listening to. It won't read any cd's at all. I took the car to a dealer today, and the tech told me I can't use any burnt cd's at all in the car once I get my new stereo, because otherwise they won't replace it again if it breaks.
That "tech" seems to be using the "if you don't know what you are talking about, make something up" technique.

No playback-only device should be capable of being damaged by the media you put in, unless the media is mechanically unsound. As long as you aren't feeding circular saw blades into the slot, the worst the player should do is not read the media! In this case you just had a random failure and the "tech" is trying to impress you.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now, I'm having a problem with mine... Every CD I make (with mp3's), there's a few songs that play slowly. Real slowly. The source files are all ok, and they're all the same bitrate. Anyone had this happen?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:03 AM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my old pioneer deck in my other car woulden't play cdr's after a few years. strange....i wonder what it is from.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eeyoredragon
Now, I'm having a problem with mine... Every CD I make (with mp3's), there's a few songs that play slowly. Real slowly. The source files are all ok, and they're all the same bitrate. Anyone had this happen?
might want to make sure you're buring it with JOLIET standards or ISO-9660.. nero and roxio both support this standard.. if it's not burned on these standards, very strange things can occur when playing cd's.. also the scion radio manual calls for 128k bitrates.. even though it says it supports up to 320k.. seems that "Suggestion" is more like a rule.. you should also make sure that your sampling rate is 44.1k just to be on the safe side..

also.. you might want to try another brand of cd-r's as well.. i found that using sony cd-r's didn't really agree with the pioneer deck. i've tried TDK and had great results with that brand.. have used the cd-rw's so far.. works great.. Going to be trying the cd-r's soon...
Old 10-18-2004, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ayS
my old pioneer deck in my other car woulden't play cdr's after a few years. strange....i wonder what it is from.
would this occur on ALL cd-r's that you had before and the current burned ones? Sometimes the laser cannot read some dye's that are on the market.. they vary from maker to maker, that's why i was recommending TDK.. if all cd-r's including known good ones that used to work dont anymore.. then chances are the laser cannot read the cd properly, since it takes more energy (light) to read a cd-r.. they aren't as reflective as original cds..
Old 10-19-2004, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I get thew same issue from time to time...when I play a burnt CD it will load and load and load then I take itout clean it (they are spotless but I do it anyway) and it works again a minute or 2 later, kind of frustrating for a brand new car but go to a different dealer, the player is capable of playing MP3's....
Old 10-20-2004, 06:25 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
Originally Posted by ayS
would this occur on ALL cd-r's that you had before and the current burned ones? Sometimes the laser cannot read some dye's that are on the market.. they vary from maker to maker, that's why i was recommending TDK.. if all cd-r's including known good ones that used to work dont anymore.. then chances are the laser cannot read the cd properly, since it takes more energy (light) to read a cd-r.. they aren't as reflective as original cds..
yes eventhe older cd-r's just mysteriously stopped playing. i tried putting in a cleaning disc in there..but to no avail...and to this day it still doesn't work....actually it was a alpine deck. not a pioneer. oh and another thing....sometimes if i leave the cd it will just play at any random time (if it does at all).
Old 10-20-2004, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah definitely an issue with the laser pickup and electronics.. what can happen is that cd-r's and cd-rw discs are not as reflective as normal cd's like you buy at the music store.. so they need a gain control in the electronics of the player.. so that it can actually read the data.. either that went bad, or the laser was out of focus, it can focus within a small area, but sometimes the mechanism that focuses can go bad.. it was one of these things.. an alpine? really.. i'm surprised about that.. was it a newer or older model? but hey nothing is perfect...
Old 10-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

i'm glad mine is aftermarket thats some bull____ though