Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

How to: Give your Scion the perfect Shine

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 03:13 AM
Banned

Default How to: Give your Scion the perfect Shine

This is a simple process that I use to achieve the best shine possible on my XB'S paint . Follow these steps and product recommendations:

Items Needed

#1 Some Kind Of Car wash Soap. I use Meguires Car soap
#2 Dawn Dish Soap ( Optionall)
#3 Some kind of Clay Cleaning System. I use Meguires Clay.
#4 Fine Scratch Remover I use Scratch X
#5 Swirl Remover. No preference
#6 Fine Paint Cleaner I use P21S Paintwork Cleanser or SONUS Paintwork Cleanser
#7 meguires Sealant Glaze ( or symalar)
#8 Wax of your choice
#9 3 or 4 Cotton towels ( make sure there clean)

Wash your car twice with a high concentration of car wash solution. I recommend SONAX Gloss Shampoo. If your car is excessively dirty, you can use Dawn dish-washing liquid. If you do, be sure to rinse thoroughly.

After washing and drying, examine your car's paint with your hand. If the paint is not perfectly smooth, use a paint-cleaning clay system and clay lubricant to remove the surface contamination.

When the paint is clean and free of surface contamination, examine again for minor surface damage. If you find heavy scuffs or surface scratches, repair these flaws with a fine rubbing compound or scratch remover. If your paint has swirl marks and other minor micro marring, use a swirl remover polish. I also use swirl remover polish to remove any surface hazing created by using rubbing compound. You can polish by hand or machine. I prefer to work by hand unless the paint has heavy damage or swirl marks.

Now it's time to glaze your paint to bring out its full gloss potential. For this I recommend a fine hand polish. I typically use a product like P21S Paintwork Cleanser or SONUS Paintwork Cleanser. If your paintwork is already in perfect condition, you can skip this step.

Once perfectly polished, your paint is ready to be sealed. For this I use a product that's been protecting my cars for many years, Meguires All-In-One. The meguires acrylic formula has proven its quality to me again and again meguires All-In-One is a one-step acrylic resin that cleans, lightly polishes and protects paint with a durable acrylic finish. The best way to apply meguires All-In-One is with a foam applicator pad. meguires All-In-One contains cleaners that remove previous layers of meguires All-In-One. If you wish to apply additional meguires acrylic protection, you can apply one or more coats of Sealant Glaze. meguires Sealant Glaze does not contain cleaners; it is a pure acrylic sealant. Additional layers of meguires Sealant Glaze will increase protection and finish depth.

You're almost there. The final step, the literal icing on the cake, is waxing. You may be asking, "After polishing and sealing, why wax?" The answer lies in the richness of color, depth and clarity that only a high-quality carnauba wax can bring out on a polished surface. For this job I reach for P21S Carnauba Wax. P21S Carnauba Wax is a true show car wax. Compared to other show car waxes of similar formula, P21S has the best price, plus the results are no less than stunning. P21S Carnauba Wax brings out a warmth and depth on red and yellow that I have not been able to duplicate with any other wax. On black and dark blue cars, the paint looks like a reflection in a pool of water.

I hope this Helps. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member

Here's my steps

1. Water
2. Soap
3. Water
4. Dry

j/k, nice tips dude :D
Old 09-23-2004, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Its all about the Mr. Clean. Where car wash technology has caught-up with car technology
Old 09-23-2004, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use this spray wax ____ i get from my neighbor, he sell that ____ to dealerships. its a airisol can you just spray it on and leave it sit till its hazy then wipe it off. works fine and takes like 5 mins. i just wash my car with this cherry bomb ____ then use the wax only once in a while.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default sheesh!!

you got to be kidding.......
Old 09-23-2004, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Forevermore
i use this spray wax ____ i get from my neighbor, he sell that ____ to dealerships. its a airisol can you just spray it on and leave it sit till its hazy then wipe it off. works fine and takes like 5 mins. i just wash my car with this cherry bomb ____ then use the wax only once in a while.
are you talking about that tropical ____ in a can by shine brite or something? that stuff is the best!!!

Jeff
Old 09-23-2004, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default .......

Originally Posted by MRGTHUNT
Its all about the Mr. Clean. Where car wash technology has caught-up with car technology
works great for me as well........in accordance with sure shine ..........
Old 09-23-2004, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well....since you didn't want to post all your info on my detailing thread, I'll join yours (just kidding ).

I basically use the same routine that you stated but I use 3M PI III RC or Meguiars DACP with a random orbital buffer with a cutting or polishing pad to remove swirls/scratches then follow up with 3m PI III MG to remove any haze and as a final polish.

I'm curious about the Meguiars All-In-One and sealant glaze, I've never heard of it and was wondering if you meant Klasse because that is what I use. I put 3 coats of SG then follow it with one or two coats of Souveran but I have heard that UPP helps to 'pop' your finish, esp. in darker colors so I'll be giving that a try.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

One word:

ZAINO

Learn it, use it, love it.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

I too use and love the Mr. Clean System. I go through the soap and filter a bit too quick though. I guess thats what I get for washing the xb every weekend.

What does everyone use for streak free windows?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by xbKreative
What does everyone use for streak free windows?
California Water Blade--it's like it was made for the XB! I use it all over the car right after I wash it--there's hardly any water left on the car to dry off.

Jennifer
Old 09-23-2004, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

but what about for the inside, to get finger prints, air conditioning film.... all that stuff off. I used a terry cloth towle and amona, i thought i did a good job, but this monring the sun glare shining on my windshield provd me otherwise...
Old 09-23-2004, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbKreative
but what about for the inside, to get finger prints, air conditioning film.... all that stuff off. I used a terry cloth towle and amona, i thought i did a good job, but this monring the sun glare shining on my windshield provd me otherwise...
I use Stoners Invisible Glass. It's easy on/off and safe on tinted windows.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Thanks, never heard of it, can you get it anywhere?
Old 09-24-2004, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

xbKreative-

NAPA should have it, if not they can probably order it for you.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member

You can get it at most auto parts stores. Wal-Mart carries it as well.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:39 AM
Banned

yeah pep boys has it.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best and easy way to clean your windows is use newspaper...the soybean oil in the paper removes streaks...water and newspaper...use windex for dirty dirty windows...just make sure you DO NOT wipe your paint or dashboard or anything else with the damp newpaper...the soybean oil will run and TOUGH to take out...but works GREAT with windows..try it out...and let me know!
Old 09-24-2004, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dizzytc
Best and easy way to clean your windows is use newspaper...the soybean oil in the paper removes streaks...water and newspaper...use windex for dirty dirty windows...just make sure you DO NOT wipe your paint or dashboard or anything else with the damp newpaper...the soybean oil will run and TOUGH to take out...but works GREAT with windows..try it out...and let me know!
Just be careful with tinted windows as Windex contains ammonia and could damage the tint (cause it to pull away from the glass).