Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

How important is rotating the tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How important is rotating the tires?

When I had my Echo, I used to get the tires rotated with every dealer service or oil change. Despite that, the tires wore out after 30,000 miles.

With the tC, I haven't been getting dealer rotations because I have been taking advantage of the free dealer oil changes (and that doesn't include a rotation). Well, I went to the dealer to get my final free oil change today, and the tech got ____ed about the fact that I haven't rotated the tires yet. I ended up saying **** it and I let the dealer do the tire rotation for $16 this time.

Just wondering if it's bad to go 15,000 miles without a rotation. All four tires look and feel absolutely identical, with no uneven wear. They also all have lots of tread left. I mean, 16 bucks is nothing, but it still seems like an unnecessary expense.

I'm just not a wheel and tire guy, so I don't know this stuff.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

You do know that you can rotate them yourself for free right?
Old 02-08-2008, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I do know that, thanks. I don't have the time nor the desire to jack up the car and do it myself. The dealer fee is not a big deal since it's such a small amount, but I wondered if it was really necessary.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it isn't about tread depth, it is about evenly distrubuting the tire wear. and since you asked, here is a perfectly good example of what happens when you don't rotate your tires:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198619

rotating tires expecially important on front wheel drive cars because the front tires do all the work, accelerate, brake, turn and carry the engine.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Geeze, that looks like a pretty extreme case. I would notice something like that long before it became a problem. My tires look great, inside and out, and there is no noticable difference in wear between any of the tires.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Btw, doesn't something like that happen if you don't get the wheels balanced and aligned correctly?
Old 02-08-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You mean the 10-15 minutes it takes to do it yourself every few months? Seriously thats about all the time it takes and since you are in LA its not even cold out.

Yes its important and will help them last longer assuming you keep them inflated properly and arent abusing them. Your front wheels do a lot of work on a FWD car. They move the car and steer the car. This means a lot more wear than your rear tires that are pretty much just along for the ride. If you were to actually measure the tread depth on the inside, middle, and outside you will find the the fronts are most likely less and possibly uneven. They would wear out several thousand miles sooner than the rears if you never rotated them.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Well basically the back tires wear with a clean square edge to them and the fronts get a round edge..........the tires need rotated regularly to clean the edges up and cut the tire back so it does not feather........although it is not always visable.......it can be felt.........

did not rotate my tires on my work car for 15000mies till yesturday and all day now i hear bump bump bump when driving.........it is the faether wearing back off.......by the time it does this I will lose a lot of tread that if rotated will still been there...........

rotate them...........especially soft tires.........or they will not give you the full amount of life or safty.........
Old 02-08-2008, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

if you got the money and dont mind paying, let them do it every oil change.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I guess I will start doing that from now on. I don't mind letting the dealer do it for a few bucks.

When they do the rotation, they swap both fronts to the back and also swap left to right, right?
Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

depends on the tire i think, if nothing on the tire then i believe in an X?
Old 02-08-2008, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Yep if they do it right the backs and fronts go in an x so the tread is reversed to wear the other side of the high points......this is why mine are making noise.......gotta wear off thge high point.......lots of freeway driving the next week for me..........
Old 02-08-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well mine were rotated for the first time and the ride sounds exactly the same as it did before. No difference in tire noise. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am dropped on TRDs and I got a fresh alignment at that time.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:28 AM
SL Member

I have a theory that the lack of tire rotations is one reason scion decided to change their "3 free oil changes" into "2 free services" they include the tire rotation which is good for the customer, and they don't have to supply a 3rd oil change.
I'm sure money had to do with it as well but this is purely speculation.

If I remember correctly I think the manual said front right to back right. and the same with the lefts. It was my understanding that you were to go in an X as well but maybe this isn't the case on the tc.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

I never rotated my tires, the fronts only lasted 15K daily driven.. the rear are still on about 20K
Old 02-08-2008, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you drive hard? I don't beat on my tires and they look almost as good as new after 15,000 miles. But back when I had my Echo, I rotated often and drove with care, and yet the tires turned to crap really quickly. I wonder what other factors are involved here.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deadtoaster2
I have a theory that the lack of tire rotations is one reason scion decided to change their "3 free oil changes" into "2 free services" they include the tire rotation which is good for the customer, and they don't have to supply a 3rd oil change.
I'm sure money had to do with it as well but this is purely speculation.

If I remember correctly I think the manual said front right to back right. and the same with the lefts. It was my understanding that you were to go in an X as well but maybe this isn't the case on the tc.
i got an '08 but they r still supplying me with the 3 oil changes oh yeah and the reason they don't rotate them in an "X" pattern is cuz the tires aren't uni-directional meaning they have to be rotated on the same side in order to have the tire going in the right direction.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:46 AM
SL Member

hmm odd. the dealer i bought mine from said that scion doesnt give out the 3 free oil changes anymore, instead they give out the 5k and 10k services free.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got snapped by a Toyota tech! By not rotating my tires and improper inflation....his estimate for new tires turned into 1,500 without balance.

Learn from my mistake!!! Cause our tires aren't cheap. The cheapest ones I have gotten a estimate were Hankooks extreme summer of $62.00 per tire. I gotten a flat and replaced it with a Firestone Firehawk summer tire of price tag of $189.00 while still being on my three OEMs. That was in July and kept driving on it. Couldn't afford the 1,200 price range so I kept holding on until "Old Man Winter" came around in December. Got estimate for all seasons Hankooks for $540.00 barely had the money. I went with 60k maintainence at the dealer late December; they rotated them (I hope) and with yesterday's and last week's snow storm...I kept sliding across intersections even with early braking.

I'm getting them rotated again tomorrow.

In other words...I'm not playing around with my car's tires anymore. I wouldn't be suprised if those OEMs caused my struts to go out. I shocked the tire shop with those OEMs...they were like "Wow! How in the hell did you drive in the rain????"
Old 02-08-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dealers try to ____ you out of money cuz they said that same thing on my last oil change. i told them ill keep that in mind and i did it at home. but good habit is to rotate tires at every oil change.

Quick Reply: How important is rotating the tires?