Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

IDEAS? door drain holes make drying a nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default IDEAS? door drain holes make drying a nightmare...

[rant]

Ok. I searched. Then I searched. I tried 'door drain' and got fujiz' post about the speaker. I tried 'drain holes' and got the one about the stupid mirror drips that are best solved by a can of compressed air. I could not find a post about a nice clean way to solve the endless drips onto the rear bumper and side skirts (or rocker panels for search's sake)

Every time I wash, I spend a half hour waiting for the doors to drain thru. The first time, I thought I had it licked, so I closed them and voila'! More drips. Then I resorted to repeatedly opening and closing the doors. I look like an idiot. (ok, you got me there - I look like even MORE of an idiot)

I've found the holes, not hard to find really, small little ovals about a half-inch long and 3/16" wide, at the bottom of every door.

I know where they are...I know what they do...I can't figure out how to keep myself from drying the inner door sill and side skirts 50x each, only to watch another G@! D#$% M!#@$% F!@#$%^ drip find it's way to freedom.

[/endRant]

ya... so i have these drips under the door....

I've tried doubling up paper towels and closing the doors on them, which works only marginally, and is a biscuit to do properly. Picture me pulling 10 paper towels off the roll in one swath, folding them over and holding them in place while I try to close the door on them. Yep. Sooner or later, I'm gonna lose some fingers.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

hmmm is water getting intot he doors thru these holes in the first place? or is the water getting in somewhere else? if it's comming in thru the holes, just put some automotive masking tape over the holes.

If not, ummmm.... keep swinging those doors!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

well, I'm relitively certain that the drain holes are strategically placed in the best spots for water to drain, so taping the water IN would be a lousy idea...

but OMG you might be right... I'm gonna try taping them up before the next wash and see what happens.

I'm really surprised that nobody else has this issue, tho. Maybe it's just a slow night. Must be. The pages load before I can finish checking my email
Old 02-21-2006, 03:50 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I do not have that problem. I use deionized water so if there were to be drips, they wouldn't leave spots.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

frankly, I'm having the feeling that the TCM would be easier to keep clean, period.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by cherryBox
frankly, I'm having the feeling that the TCM would be easier to keep clean, period.
And you would be right, but a water spot still stands out to me, and I don't get them.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

well, just to bore all you guys with an update, i've gone thru 2 more washes since last post, and I've tried masking up the drain holes prior to the wash. the first time was kinda inconclusive, the tape didn't really seem to hold a seal thru the wash, and i still got drainage. the second time, yesterday, I taped them really well, and they started dripping once i took the tape off.

pretty stumped as to how the water would be getting in, considering nobody else seems to have that problem. It would be strange, yet possibly identifiable, if it only happened on one door in particular, but I get it on all 5.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cherrybox, try parking on an incline to help rid yourself of excess water quickly. No inclines by your hose? Try a jack/jackstand.

Do you have understanding neighbors? Get yourself a leaf blower and force the water out of those nooks and crannies.

These two steps will not eliminate drips, but it will help speed up the drying process.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I appreciate the response, but I don't think you understood the issue. I'm ultimately trying to alleviate water drainage from teh door drains by understanding how water gets into the doors initially.

you are very right about your suggestions to speed up the drying process.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cherryBox
I appreciate the response, but I don't think you understood the issue. I'm ultimately trying to alleviate water drainage from teh door drains by understanding how water gets into the doors initially.

you are very right about your suggestions to speed up the drying process.
Gottcha!

I doubt you will end drainage from the doors.

If you are looking for how it enters, I would suggest looking at the door gasket material...seems to be the only possible way for it to get in. Gently prying apart the pleats is what I would recommend. If you do find out how though, let me know.

Normally I just leave the doors open for 15 - 20 minutes while cleaning up all my cleaning supplies and what-not. I can say that no matter how fastidious you wipe down the inner door/jab/gasket, there is always a drip or two. I just close each door on its own microfiber towel if I cant leave the doors open.

Now if only someone could tell me what to do with those damn drippy mirrors....
Old 03-15-2006, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found that using a leaf blower to dry my car I don't get drips. All the water from the little nooks and crannys gets blown away, then use a micro-fiber to finish it up.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

<< starts to wonder if it's just him

regarding the drippy mirrors, heathen, I have taken Max's suggestion to use canned air. works pretty dang well, but I have also found sometimes it forces water into the mirror housing, and then the drips come out of the 1/8" molding where the mirror meets the door. I spray out the mirrors, and then work on the molding underneath, and it does the trick.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ...WATER, WATER....

I have door droplets also, every XB will.
I SWING!... I do not slam the doors closed BUT I do SWING them forcably. From all the way open to almost closed. Swing your door back and forth several times to use centrificial force to expell the water that gets in through the window seals. The faster you swing the doors, the more water will come out.

On the mirrors, use a towel. Push the bottom of the mirror into the housing.
You will hear clicking sounds but this is O.K.
Expose as much of the bottom of the housing as you can. You will see that water sits here so use your towel to absorb it. Use the electric button to reset your mirrors when you start the car.
Better yet, use the electric motor to face the mirror all the way down before washing.

Your neighbors will understand.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the water gets in from the belt molding-thats the black seal lets say its at the bottom of the window and on top of the door you know that rubber peace thats suppose to kleen your window. well it gets in through there. and if you plug you rholes and keep them pluged it will begin to rust. water is a tricky ****. it will find a way to get in so save yourself a headache and accept it
once you wash it jump on the freeway for a bout 3 min and pull over give it a kwick wipe down .you will be alright.

peace