Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Just got my tires changed, bumpy ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just got my tires changed, bumpy ride

I just got my tires changed on my tC. Got proxie 4s now, they have the yellow dot on it, but the guy that did my tires said he's been doing tires for 17 years and told me it means nothing. So after he put the tires on the rims he put them on a "DSP9600" machine to balance it and then put a weight on it. The first wheel needed .5 oz(?) it was .5 something, and the second tire needed .25 only to balance it out. The other 2 rear wheels, I dunno, I had them changed 2 at a time cause they thought I only wanted to change 2 and had to order 2. When I just let the car roll at like 5mph or less I can feel and hear one or more of the wheels make a sound at a pretty even interval and the ride is kinda bouncy.

The thing is though that the place doesn't do realignments, only mount and balance. So I have to go to another place to do that. My question is: Is the bouncy problem because they didn't balance correctly or because I still need to get the car realigned? I don't know if I get the car realigned and still have this problem, then I take it back to get it rebalanced and mounted, will I also have to realign again after that? Or can I just get it realigned now and see if the problem persists and if it does, take it back to get the people to rebalanced/mount it correctly and not have to realign again? I know I can take it back to them to fix the problem(should be able to atleast...hopefully), but i dunno about realigning. Don't want waste extra time and money I that I don't have to....
Old 02-25-2009, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like a bad tire or tires. im assuming its not visibility noticeable. and it cant be the balance since the numbers were low and the balance would only effect u beyond something like 30mph. alignment doesnt cause bumpy ride just uneven wear and bad handing.

they must have @#$#ed up your rim...most logical. lol jk its probably bad tires or needs to be reseated with lube.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ 2nd'ed.

Probably a bad ply on a tire. Take it back and ask them to take a spin around the block.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They were pretty nice on my rims actually. I hope they didn't ____ em up D: I checked them to see if there were scratches and there weren't. The guy didn't even use the bar to remove the tire, he just used his hands, didn't touch the bar once.

Theres nothing visibly wrong with the tires, I should take a closer look tomorrow out of my driveway and on the curb though. What could be wrong with the tire that would cause this? Just so i could bring something up to them that might make a little sense...I really should read up more on car stuff.

Just curious though, whats an average number for the balance or one that you would consider high? I didn't get to see the numbers on the rear tires. I'm thinking right now that its the rear left thats jacked up, but i dunno...

and whats a ply? D:
Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cords in the tire
Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah the reinforcing rebars or wires nets are probably defective.

did u take off rim and looked in the side too?

i used to work at a garage and had a customer comeback with the same problem. turned out it was the reinforcing wires in the tire. but on his tire theres a huge bubble on the side. is yours on the inside?