Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

LOUD thump in hard acceration, engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default LOUD thump in hard acceration, engine mounts?

I am still babying my RS1 but to be honest I have reved it up twice (not redlined though) and dropped the cutch to see what she would do...... and both times I have heard and preculiar HARD thump.

I was curious as to if this was normal. This is my first FWD manuel tranny car so maybe im just ignorent. It sounds as if the engine mounts or tranny mounts are loose/ broken or at the very least, VERY VERY weak. The loud thump (my friend describes as metal to metal) usually knocks stuff off the dash board. Could it be that I do have faulty or broken engine or tranny mounts or is the little box just tell me it isnt made to handle such acceration. Help please!

Thanks

-will
Old 04-01-2004, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah, I would check that out..

I broke the engine mounts in my truck, but that was easy to tell because the tree for the AT shifter would jump up and slam down. So, if you dump the clutch, you might be able to see a lot of movement with your shifter. BUT, I think you'd better get in there with your eyes and take a look.

Must've been a monday, everyone's hung over and forgot some mounts! There's prolly a bud can in your door too.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

Yeah it could be those. I had to change the mounts in my ford festiva a while bcak b/c they where rustin out lol. anyways i wouls definatly check em out
Old 04-09-2004, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member

if you rev it up to high and dump the clutch that is a lot of pressure being put on the tranny. You got your vehicle weight plus occupants and then the tourque of the engine. My Acura did it all the time and when i had that stuff checked out they said there was nothing remotley even looking wrong with any mounts. Just dont do that stuff to often or you might drop your tranny or shatter the clutch
Old 04-15-2004, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: thump

If it was revved and the clutch dumped it most likely would be wheel hop. A common side effect of front drive cars due to weight transfer coming off the wheels upon acceleration. AWD cars get it too though. Work on your launch technique and it should disappear.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: thump

Originally Posted by Sciomodr
If it was revved and the clutch dumped it most likely would be wheel hop. A common side effect of front drive cars due to weight transfer coming off the wheels upon acceleration. AWD cars get it too though. Work on your launch technique and it should disappear.
this is what it is. every fwd car i have owned has had this problem. i like you have done the same to my xb and the same has happened. its nothing you need to worry about, but try not to be so hard on the girl she's new man. you gotta break her in