Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

My tire blew out :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member

Default My tire blew out :(

I was driving on the freeway, and there was a small amount of debris on the road, and I drove over it at 65 mph...there was a small bump, didn't think it was that bad (driven over MUCH worse in other cars). But then it didn't just give me a flat tire ...it blew out my tire (forward right tire). Only half the tire was still on the rim, the rest was a pile of gunk on the road. My tC is only one week old =/ I guess this could be considered more of a tire or road problem than a tC problem...but it sure was a tiny bump that did this =/ Guess I just needed to vent.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member

Tough Luck, but I doubt it is a tire problem.

I hit a big chunk of retread about a week ago after swerving to miss a Ford F-150 that decided he wanted in my lane more than me. (ABS works great!)

No tire problems, and the tC handles like a dream at 75 MPH under hard braking.

If you were driving the F-150, I hope a thousand sand mites infest your wifes panties.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member

That sucks dude. This is why I really hate Brigestone/Firestone. They are junky tires (one on my echo got punctured by a toothpick and I put on Michelin WeatherWise and everything about the ride improved). I can't wait for mine to wear out so I can get some nice Michelin Pilot run-flat tires
Old 07-26-2004, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey... sorry man/woman. Did you check your tire pressures to see what they are? They may have been over inflated. Mine was... (38 front / 34 back). I am not saying that the over inflation caused your flat because you did go over some debris... but you maybe able to leverage with your dealer...
Old 07-26-2004, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bridgestones work great if you are Michael Schumacher. 11 wins out of 12 you can't argue with that. Although, I'm not sure how well those formula 1 wheels will fit on the tC.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by imasaf
Hey... sorry man/woman. Did you check your tire pressures to see what they are? They may have been over inflated. Mine was... (38 front / 34 back). I am not saying that the over inflation caused your flat because you did go over some debris... but you maybe able to leverage with your dealer...
Good point. Until someone posted on this forum about the high pressure, I had not checked mine out. It was at 40 PSI cold. WOW!

Kevin
Old 07-26-2004, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by erickjam
If you were driving the F-150, I hope a thousand sand mites infest your wifes panties.
LOL :D
Old 07-26-2004, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member

Good point, Imasaf, I did not check the tire pressure. I'll be sure to do that when I get home from work for now. I ordered a new tire online (it cost $150!)...for now I guess I have no choice but to drive sparingly on the funny looking, yellow spare tire =(. Are Scion tC tires especially expensive or something? We called a couple places, and they were all about $150 each, while my dad was able to get new tires for his Miata for $50 each.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I checked with a local Costco store yesterday. The same tire costs about $155 and a Michelin costs about $200. I will prob. go with a set of Michelin tires later. Costco does free tire rotation every 7500 miles. I bought a new set for my Accord 80K miles ago and have done 10 free rotations so far...save big $$$ :D
Old 07-27-2004, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad my 2005 xA came with Goodyear. My brother happens to work for Goodyear and says the Eagle LS is a pretty decent tire.

When my tires start to wear or I get some extra cash I'm going to upgrade to some Kumho 712s. I had them on my Civic and they are awesome for a cheap price. I highly recommend them.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still think you should check with your dealer even though you already bought your tires... anyways... I will also go with a set of michelins when its time to replace my tires.... I've had michelins before... kinda expensive but they last hecka long time.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I had a blow out when I went through a damn near invisible pothole at 60mph. Sucked too because my tires (Pirelli Pzero Nero MS) cost 170 bucks for just a single tire. The pothole tore a 1 inch gash in the sidewall so the tire was a total loss. They cant fix that.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:14 AM
S3X
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yo Guys! I had a flat tire too this morning... are we supposed to have ROAD SIDE assistance from SCION? I juz wanna know coz I contacted them and they said "NO" I did remember though that my salesperson was telling me something about ROAD SIDE assistance. I did not pay attention to what he was saying before.... so early this morning I was stuck changing my tire by myself and had it fixed at a local SHOP....
Old 07-29-2004, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AAA gold jumpstart/keys locked/flat tire whatever they will come whereever whenever and tow you up to 100 miles only about $60 a year. In one of my previous cars I did not have a spare due to all of the audio in the trunk and everytime I had a flat tire I just had them tow me to my favorite tire shop. It was rear wheel drive too, so it required a flat bed.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hjelmn
That sucks dude. This is why I really hate Brigestone/Firestone. They are junky tires (one on my echo got punctured by a toothpick and I put on Michelin WeatherWise and everything about the ride improved). I can't wait for mine to wear out so I can get some nice Michelin Pilot run-flat tires
OTOH, the last time I lost a tire to a road hazard it was a Michelin. I replaced the tires with Bridgestones and have had no problems since.

Also, both times I had tread separations, it was on Michelin tires. Ever see what a half-separated tread does when it's whipping aginst one's bodywork? It's not pretty!

George
Old 07-30-2004, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm... where are you located?? Anyways... in California you can try to get the tire reimbursed from the govt. because its their negligence that they didn't fix the pot hole. Anyways... if you are in Cali... you need to go back and take a picture of the pot hole and pictures of your tire and file a claim.

Originally Posted by NHGrafx
I had a blow out when I went through a damn near invisible pothole at 60mph. Sucked too because my tires (Pirelli Pzero Nero MS) cost 170 bucks for just a single tire. The pothole tore a 1 inch gash in the sidewall so the tire was a total loss. They cant fix that.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was driving my tC today to my daily hangout and my tires were making noise...

I stopped and check and there is a small piece of scrap metal that punctured my tire... i gotta go get it patched up =/

only had my tc for 2 weeks and i had a hit and run + now a flat tire .. what next?
Old 07-30-2004, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is up with all these tires getting shredded? one hole after another? this is strange.. and i wouldn't even blame the drivers.. this is crazy.. some might say murphy's law.. but come on..

when you get that tire patched.. take a look at the thickness of the rubbers.. thing must be paper thin!!

More and more I'm leaning towards replacing these RE92's with some RE950's when my car finally comes in.. sounds like a defective design on the RE92's..