Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

need a good DIY on a power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:11 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default need a good DIY on a power steering fluid

cause i would like to change the fluid in the and i never have done one on a car with rack and pinion steering before...
Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Easiest way is to use a syringe body with a length of tubing attached. Remove the old fluid right from the fill hole and replace with ATF as it is a better fluid than PS fluid. You will NOT get all of it out using this method, but you can simply do this over and over...just make sure to drive the box to circulate the fluid through the system.

Takes 5 minutes tops.

You can also disconnect the send/return lines at the bottom of the PS assembly, but I have never done that so I cant comment on it.

I do this every month or so and the fluid is still clear after 3 years.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:38 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so you replace the fluid about once a month?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To clarify, I use the syringe method on a monthly basis.

I would guess that it removes ~20% of the fluid in the system each time.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
To clarify, I use the syringe method on a monthly basis.

I would guess that it removes ~20% of the fluid in the system each time.
The reason for this being....?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bmph8ter
Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Easiest way is to use a syringe body with a length of tubing attached. Remove the old fluid right from the fill hole and replace with ATF as it is a better fluid than PS fluid. You will NOT get all of it out using this method, but you can simply do this over and over...just make sure to drive the box to circulate the fluid through the system.

Takes 5 minutes tops.

You can also disconnect the send/return lines at the bottom of the PS assembly, but I have never done that so I cant comment on it.

I do this every month or so and the fluid is still clear after 3 years.
We meet again discussing powersteering flushes. LOL! I actually picked up a big syringe since we last spoke and it works great.

You guys can also disconnect the return hose under the car. Turn the wheels back & forth (engine off!) and it wil force the old fluid out. Add more as needed to flush, the reconnect the hose & refill.
I remember you...Cheers man!

Why I like the syringe method best is because the graduations on the body make it real easy to measure how much you removed, so the refill is that much easier.

Im glad you got some use out of our discussions.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I just did a flush and it was a success as far as I'm concerned. I changed my power steering tank and had issues with air in the lines. The syringe method is a flop because it only empties the tank and all ur doing is mixing new and old fluid.....and once a month? Kinda sounds like what my girlfriend goes through every month.
The key is "NOT GETTING AIR IN THE LINES!!! or as minute as possible.... It can be messy, so have some rags handy. I removed the tank, took a cut garden hose, rigged it to a funnel and hose clamped it to the larger hose that pulls fluid into the system. I slipped a 1/4' clear tubing into the small exit hose and clamped that. Run the clear tubing into a bucket. Fill the funnel and hold it up keeping in mind to let the air bubbles out. Have a friend...or a girlfriend in my case turn the car over and off . like as soon as it actually turns over KILL IT! The fluid sucks down really fast !!!!!so keep on eye on the funnel and whats still in the hose. I only had to do that like 4 times before a whole 1 1/2 quarts were gone..That's all I needed to flush. It happens fast so have the other quart ready to go, Do not let all the fluid suck through the funnel and hose to introduce air in the line. And like i said "have rags within reach it could get messy. I switched to Toyota ATF which is red so you see the new fluid come through the tubing into the bucket. Put the tank back.....fill it. Clean up ur mess!!! Jack the front of the car up, start it, turn the wheel back and forth several times all the way holding for 30 seconds each side to remove any air...., check fluid level....should be good...it worked for me.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamie1tc
I just did a flush and it was a success as far as I'm concerned. I changed my power steering tank and had issues with air in the lines. The syringe method is a flop because it only empties the tank and all ur doing is mixing new and old fluid.....and once a month? Kinda sounds like what my girlfriend goes through every month.The key is "NOT GETTING AIR IN THE LINES!!!
Well, I do agree that not getting air in the lines is important, hence the reason I recommend using the syringe method to mostly empty out the reservoir.

But I disagree with what else you said. If you dont wait until 50K miles (or longer) to change out some of the fluid in the PS, doing partial changes are fine. The fluid is always circulating in a belt driven pump. Its NOT like the brake system, so the new and old mixes together constantly. It doesnt suffer from the same sort of breakdown as the brake or oil system, but it does break down eventually so changing out the reservoir every oil change is more than enough to keep it fresh. I do it more often, just because I like to work on my car.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thats cool.......i'd rather do other things.... PEACE!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamie1tc
thats cool.......i'd rather do other things.... PEACE!
Me too. I find that I have 5 minutes of free time more often than 30+ minutes, thats why I choose the method I do. Cheers!