Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Need to use TRD Oil???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Need to use TRD Oil???

Hey all...

It's been about 5500 miles since I've put on my SPFR intake, and I need to clean it and re-oil. I was going to just toss another K&N style filter on there, and then circulate the 2, but when I went in to parts to pick up a kit, my parts guy told me something kind of wierd...

He said that K&N oil, or pretty much any oil other than TRD messes with the Toyota MAF! He said he gets tacomas with CAI's in all the time with MAF problems and it comes from using different brands of oil, and that the TRD stuff is forumlated especially for Toytoa MAF's.

1) I know toyota's ECU's are a _____ to tune, so maybe their MAF electronics are wierd too

2) He has a lot of experiance with Toyota and knows his stuff. He's a very capable parts manager and mechanic

but this still sounds wierd. Jon from SPFR says that the problems our parts guy sees probably come from over-oiling or improper care....he runs K&N on all his stuff including both his sciosn and never had a problem.

Anybody have any thoughts on this or ever heard of anything similar?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard from my local dealer that the Tacoma P'ups are very bad for that because the MAF is very close to the filter and it's from over oiling. I don't think TRD has a special oil that does not affect the MAF. Most people DO over-oil their cleanable filters. I heard carb cleaner will wash the oil off without screwing up the MAF but I have not tried it.
ken
Old 03-10-2004, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Just be weary not to over-oil your filter, and keep some electronics grade rubbing alcohol on hand in-case you have to take off the maf sensor and give it a quick cleaning. I seriously doubt that Toyota or TRD make a "special" oil for their re-useable filters. I however could be incredibly wrong, but either way i wouldn't worry about it.