Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

New Scion Dying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default New Scion Dying?

Sweet Holy Mother Of God. I'm a wreck.

My new 2004 xB, which I've had for less than three months, with a grand total of 2000 miles on it... is making a noise. A bad noise. From the engine. Now, I'm no mechanic, this thing is starting to sound like a friggin diesel truck, and something tells me that ain't good.

My dealer can't be bothered until tomorrow to look at it, so my question is to you guys, who possibly are mechanics, or have met mechanics, or can spell "mechanic"... what's it mean when you have a loud rattling sound when you hit the gas? As I mentioned, it brings a diesel engine to mind. It seems a little underpowered too, but that could be my imagination or the fact that xBs are underpowered.

Any relatively intelligent input would be much appreciated.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Tuners

Could be any # of problems. Pre-ignition due to a spark plug issue or the vehicle running in a lean condition could be the problem, but so could a valve problem. I would take the vehicle to your closest Scion dealership ASAP.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New Scion Dying?

Originally Posted by sosumi
Sweet Holy Mother Of God. I'm a wreck.

My new 2004 xB, which I've had for less than three months, with a grand total of 2000 miles on it... is making a noise. A bad noise. From the engine. Now, I'm no mechanic, this thing is starting to sound like a friggin diesel truck, and something tells me that ain't good.

My dealer can't be bothered until tomorrow to look at it, so my question is to you guys, who possibly are mechanics, or have met mechanics, or can spell "mechanic"... what's it mean when you have a loud rattling sound when you hit the gas? As I mentioned, it brings a diesel engine to mind. It seems a little underpowered too, but that could be my imagination or the fact that xBs are underpowered.

Any relatively intelligent input would be much appreciated.
If you're going to have trouble, now is the time while it's still under warranty.

Nasty noises can be caused by relatively small problems. They can also be caused by fatal problems! The only way to know is to have someone with an educated ear listen to it.

If the sound is continuous and getting progressively worse, have the car towed to the shop. You don't want to do more damage to the engine. If you can drive in a way to avoid the noise you can probably safely drive to the dealer.

George
Old 03-24-2004, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm no mechanic...but I can pray for you! :D
Old 03-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Banned
SL Member

have you tried checkin the oil? i didn't read the thread
Old 03-24-2004, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CivicEater
have you tried checkin the oil? i didn't read the thread
ditto.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe it's like that one guy with bad gas...or that other guy that had a spark plug break off in a cylinder.

I'd take the engine cover off and check the spark plugs just to see if I could. When you take it in ask to speak to the mechanic who will be working on your car if possible. If incoming jobs come to first free hands, make a special request for yours so that they absolutely know your concern. That way, the tech won't assume anything and check out what you want.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the replies, folks. And the prayer.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciJen
You get your Scion yet?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The xB is at the dealership this morning. Just dropped it off. Crossing fingers.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Good luck man.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you've hit the underside of your car with anything while driving.......you could have busted up the catalyst inside your catalytic converter. That'll make a nice rattling nasty sound whne you gas it.

KiL
Old 04-05-2004, 02:29 AM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciJen
likewise!
Old 04-05-2004, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by KingLou
If you've hit the underside of your car with anything while driving.......you could have busted up the catalyst inside your catalytic converter. That'll make a nice rattling nasty sound whne you gas it.

KiL
I was thinking the same thing....I remember I mest up the catalytic converter on my VW and it sounded awful like a mac truck, vibrated like a ****, and had almost no power.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So, I'm still hearing this sound every day when I drive. Sounds like valve knocking, it's especially audible from inside the car. When I took it to the dealer, they insisted on sticking their heads in the engine compartment to hear it, but it's not as evident from there.

I've heard from at least a few people that they have this sound too. But apparently not everyone does.

BTW, I've tried high octane gas, and that made no difference. It's driving me nuts not knowing if I have a problem on my hands or not. The dealer excells at not hearing things, but so far they're not great at offering explanations.

BAH!
Old 04-16-2004, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you tried drving another one? Sometimes, what people think is a problem with their car is just a natural sound for that vehicle. Ask your dealer to let you drive one of their Scions to see if you hear the same thing. If not, keep on the service guys to figure out what it is.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member

Default rattling noise

i know this may sound stupid but my xB had the same noise and it was the hood. all it took to fix it was to unscrew the bump stops. the hood was loosley fit and did progresively get worse. :?

hope it gets fixed, good luck.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: rattling noise

Originally Posted by box of rox
i know this may sound stupid but my xB had the same noise and it was the hood. all it took to fix it was to unscrew the bump stops. the hood was loosley fit and did progresively get worse. :?

hope it gets fixed, good luck.
It doesn't sound like it's coming from the hood, but who knows? Hell, that would be great if it was the hood. Sounds like valves, though. But I'll certainly test your theory.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well, it ain't the hood.

I took it back to the dealer again yesterday, showed them the sound a few dozen times, and the mechanic continues to act like the sound just isn't there. It's quite loud. How come everyone BUT the mechanics at this dealership can hear it? My friends hear it, my wife hears it, but they just act like there's nothing there. He had it over in the shop for a minute, across a parking lot from me, and I could hear it. He brings it back over to me and says "I couldn't hear anything" WHAT?

Anybody in Ventura County have an xB I can listen to? Seriously. I'll give you a dollar.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does the dealership have any other xB models in stock? Ask to drive it and see if it makes the same noise. It probably doesn't and then you will have one for the "mechanic" to compare it to.

Quick Reply: New Scion Dying?