Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

New Seat Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default New Seat Track

I took the box over to R&H Toyota in Owings Mills, MD because the driver's seat squeeks everytime I move around while sitting. Russel Toyota service said that there wasn't anything wrong, so I took it to R&H (near my job).

What they wrote was: "Seat positioning causing contact between locating pegs and body of vehicle. Remove seat, reposition and recheck. Noise still there. Order seat track" Recommendations: "Replace seat track and recheck."

Here's what struck me the most:
Part # 72020-52440, Adjuster Assembly, FR $555.28 Any parts people can confirm this price. I know it's under warranty and all.
Special order item direct parts from Japan

Anyone having issues with this? If so take it in and the above part may resolve the issue. :D
Old 07-08-2004, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I haven't had any squeeking problems with mine, but my passengers get a thrill when they readjust the seat (and them not knowing it's not locked in a position). I'll stop hard (because I know they switched the position) and they'll jolt forward and it'll lock in place. It scares the hell out of them.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New Seat Track

Originally Posted by fr130
I took the box over to R&H Toyota in Owings Mills, MD because the driver's seat squeeks everytime I move around while sitting. Russel Toyota service said that there wasn't anything wrong, so I took it to R&H (near my job).

What they wrote was: "Seat positioning causing contact between locating pegs and body of vehicle. Remove seat, reposition and recheck. Noise still there. Order seat track" Recommendations: "Replace seat track and recheck."

Part # 72020-52440, Adjuster Assembly, FR $555.28 Any parts people can confirm this price. I know it's under warranty and all.

Anyone having issues with this? If so take it in and the above part may resolve the issue. :D
I'm going to have to... I've had mine since around 1kmi, the passenger seat started so I brought it in. Now, since 5k, the drivers seat does it too. They told me when I brought it in that they could no re-create the issue.

The service technician told me that it was something they couldn't fix, since "it happens in the 4 runners too, theres not much we can do for you."
Old 07-24-2004, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It may be that price but it also may be the price installed. Makes it easier for the bean counters to not have to look in two different books to determine labor and parts. it does seem quite high to me though.

Mike
Old 07-24-2004, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New Seat Track

Originally Posted by fr130

Well, the price is outrageous, but that is pretty much par for the course when buying parts from a dealer. I recently bought a mirror housing for a Mercury, an injection-molded piece of styrene plastic that cost over $200.

Of course, Toyota themselves will only pay the manufacturing costs of the part they use to repair your car, but they sure impressed you with the retail number, didn't they!

Back in the Olde Dayes, the mechanic would have simply figured out a way to tweak your existing track to cure the squeak. You would have been fixed and back on the road in an hour. Today's "technicians" pretty much only know how to replace the offending part (after you wait for the new part and let them have the car for another day or two) and hope for the best.

George
Old 07-29-2004, 01:50 AM
Banned
SL Member

Well the part arrived last week and today the dealership replaced the parts. Here's what they needed (lastest list)

Seat Positioning Causing contact between locating pegs and body of vehicle.
1. #72020-52440 Adjuster Assy, FR Quantiy of 1
2. #90468-18071 Clip Quantity of 20

Replaced the drivers seat base/back OP Code 711041(?)

All warranty work. No annoying squeeks or metal rattling on the driver's seat. Woohoo.