Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...
View Poll Results: Is your white Xb's paint getting stained?
yes
8.33%
no
50.00%
haven't checked
16.67%
who care's its a cheap car an when this one gets messed up I'll have daddy buy me a new one!
25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Polar White xB stained by road grime

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Polar White xB stained by road grime

Jeez, This is my first white car and I am realizing that the difference between black and white is give or take. Well, for one I can't see the wax when I wax the Box, 2 the road and bugs are staining the paint yellow.
The front bumper has yellow dot from the love bug and the rear wheel wells are yellow from road grime I guess. Does anyone know how to restore the white? Is there a special car wash or spray?
Would the clay bar work maybe? Anyone else having this problem feel free to sound off.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-09-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr. Badge
Old 05-02-2004, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I have a polar white xA..and yeah, some things are harder to clean off than others. Try using a car paint safe solvent or something. I've been using Touch Up Magic. It is said to even clean off sharpie marker off paint...
Old 05-03-2004, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member

Try using a better polish on it like PS21 or Zaino. It works fine on white (pic below).

mikochu, if you want, swing down and I'll Zaino your car for you at a "Member of Scion-Dynasty" rate.

Here's how it looks on my mom's 100+k miles 1995 4-Runner. Daily driven, parked outside, works next door to a construction site.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

how far is orlando from sarasota? hehe
Old 05-03-2004, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i had my Polar xB for 8 months and it looked like New when i sold it!

Pure Arctic Polar Bright White!!

then again, i had it detailed every 4-6 weeks.....
Old 05-11-2004, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

my polar white is basically showroom clean now, besides a ding in my door but my daddy is fixing it lol! I just wash it every weekend for a coupla hours, panel by panel, on a good day it hurts my eyes to look at it in the sun, its great
Old 05-11-2004, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Using a clay bar is the best thing you can do, then apply a good wax.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member

Try Goo Gone, works awesome! I use it on my TCM to remove tar from the road and bug guts that are fried on by the Texas sun.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

I bought Yanges Polar XB 2 months ago and it is still showroom. I do wax it every 2 weeks. The box is so small I can wax the darn thing in under an hour.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I have these black spots on my Polar White xA. They look like they are rust spots from the rain. I tried heating them up with a hair dryer. They black tops came off, but brown spots were left in their place. The claybar didn't do a thing to them. Scratch-X took them out, but it took a lot of elbow grease. I didn't get all of them out... Is there a place I can go to where they can fix them? I took it to the dealer and they didn't do much...
Old 05-21-2004, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Bug and tar remover

If you look at the cleaning area in any auto parts store you should find several brands of bug and tar remover this stuff works great! and as previously mentioned a clay bar is always a good thing to have in your detail kit. Using a good wax should help keep road build up and bugs from sticking and make it easier to clean off later! You should try to avoid harsh solvents as they can dammage your cars finish! there is also an orange based goo remover out there Although I cant quite remember the exact name!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Banned
SL Member

Inasmuch as it has been reported thzt Poloar White is not clearcoated, this is an interesting problem report!

Why would Scion -not- give the white car a clearcoat? I can offer some guesses and also a small amount of solid information about paints- white in particular.

If we avoid clearcoat two benefits accrue: EZ touch up- invisible spot repairs of chips and scratches. And you can polish the paint when it dulls years from now, almost down to the primer.

You can't do this with clearcoat finishes.

Why did Scion not clearcoat the Polar White? It seems to me it wasn't to skimp on cost. They must've thought clearcoat no benefit. But failed to anticipate that even a quality pigment/resin paint is somewhat porous to staining agents. Whereas a resin-only topcoat of clear is just about imperviouss to penetrating stains.
Scion also thought, correctly, that clear coat on white make no appreciable improvement in color depth. That's my guess there.

You probably need to polish down through the stain- hoping it doesn't sink too deep down. The paint today on even cheap cars is vastly better than say twenty years ago when non-clearcoats were the norn for all colors, and the resin binder for the pigment was more likely an acrylic enamel or lacquer, than a catalyzed polyurethane. The latter is just such a good binder or clearcoat as to make earlier paint chemistries obsolete for production cars. However, pigments themselves are alwasys somewhat porous and so, like marble, can take on a stain. OTHER colors than white or pure black, have the additional problem of being more or less affected by sunlight UV, and many chemical stains. Much worse than the chemically inert titanium white.

So, to condense this ramble- try as the earlier posters suggested- any non-rub products first. Failing that, there's no harm in a gentle polish. Last resort is a rubbing compound. BUT only if indeed there is no clearcoat and only if you know exactly what you are doing.

Being really diligent with a silicone-bearing wax or polish should make staining a mininmal or non-existant problem. Like the fellow who detailed hs Polar White every month until he sold it. You all do the same and you won't have a problem. But sell off for this ?shortcoming?. I don't say to do that. But another option is have a reliable paint shop clear coat your new Polar White if they can. Then you are subjec not to neglect stains, but much more vulnerable to stone chips and clear coat rub-through down the road.