Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Problems with factory CD player (xB)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member

Default Problems with factory CD player (xB)

I had my xB Pioneer single CD player replaced per the service bulletin because it was making strange noises during mp3 playback.

The replacement is worse though. It gets in a "mood" where it will not play MP3 cds, and it gives me an "error 1" message. When I brought it into the dealership service department, it was in a "working fine" mood. Most of the time though it's not.

The dealership (Tom Wood in Indianapolis), while polite and nice, refuses to replace this second unit and has instead referred me to their dealer tech support line. Which I find unacceptable. They're telling me it's my fault because I'm using bad files on the discs (!!!), never mind that these discs work fine half of the time and don't the other half.

Ideas?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I believe the error 1 problem was the reason why the TSB first came out to begin with. Try to take it back to the dealer again, if they refuse to replace it I would just mention to them that you can always call Scion's 800 number...See if that helps...BUT be polite about it...If they still don't care just leave and then call the 800 # and see what they say.

Just my 2 cents! :D
Old 09-28-2004, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you're not alone with cd player problems on this deck.. i have a tC.. same radio though.. and i am going to be getting my THIRD radio! i have talked to scion and they have agreed that they'll get me another one and another.. until we get one that works! The first dealer i went to was full of excuses almost like your dealer now is.. they tried blaming the cd's.. too bad they were just regular cd's and not mp3 discs! The 1st and 2nd end up scratching the cd's because of the loading/ejecting mechanism..

problem i'm having? load times are about 10 seconds and increasing FOR NORMAL cd's.. doesn't even want to read mp3 discs.. the 2nd radio is better, but now the 2nd one.. it won't eject the cd all the time, have to press eject a couple of times.. plus the display is washed out on half of the display.. so that's why I'm getting a third radio..

so just call scion to get it resolved, or take it to another dealer.. I'd definitely let Scion know though..

Oh and get this.. when the 2nd dealer went to order the third radio.. they are told that they are on BACKORDER! yeah, like I'm the only one with a problem? Pioneer better get their quality together.. this is ridiculous.. I'd rather get an Alpine! but hey this is free, and i like free
Old 09-28-2004, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

This may have nothing to do with it, BUT, you may want to consider this:

CD players can get real picky over the type of disc they read. Various colored discs may not play correctly on your CD player. These may include black, red, gold, orage, etc. Im refering to the color of the burned side of the disc, not the label. Also cheap discs may not play as well. When you hold the disc up, you dont want to be able to see through it very much. I currently use Memorex and they seem to work fine on my tC.

If you are having problems with your player, gou out and buy a few different brands of discs (or get 1 or 2 of each from friends/family/coworkers) and burn a couple songs on each on and see if your player has any trouble with them.

Just trying to help

- Kevin
Old 09-28-2004, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey kevin..

yeah i thought of that too.. thanks for the suggestion.. i was using sony and tdk discs..
Old 09-30-2004, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member

I think I figured it out. Playing mp3 discs results in the "ERROR 1" or an eternal DISK SEEK. If I pop a regular audio CD (uncopied) into the player, it plays staticy for about 10 seconds and then clears up. It will then play mp3 cds just fine.

At least, for a day or two. My guess is that playing mp3 cds is setting the laser out of alignment, and that a regular (much more easily read) CD sets the laser back in place.

That's my theory, now just to prove it to dealership.

How annoying to spend so much time for such a minor problem. Then I realize that this unit probably cost retail $200-300, and if I'd spent that much at BB I'd have complained a lot louder by now.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by number6
I think I figured it out. Playing mp3 discs results in the "ERROR 1" or an eternal DISK SEEK. If I pop a regular audio CD (uncopied) into the player, it plays staticy for about 10 seconds and then clears up. It will then play mp3 cds just fine.

At least, for a day or two. My guess is that playing mp3 cds is setting the laser out of alignment, and that a regular (much more easily read) CD sets the laser back in place.

That's my theory, now just to prove it to dealership.

How annoying to spend so much time for such a minor problem. Then I realize that this unit probably cost retail $200-300, and if I'd spent that much at BB I'd have complained a lot louder by now.
well your theory is not far off.. I too tried mp3 encoded cd's burned the correct way.. compatible with what the owner's manual said.. of iso 9660 or Joliet burning standards.. and it still would just wait and wait and wait at DISC SEEK.. same thing you were experiencing.. put in a regular cd.. would still take 5 seconds to play! i think that there is a problem with the laser.. if you are parked, car is off.. windows up.. you can hear the motor spin up the cd and stop.. and could actually hear the clicking of the laser trying to focus.. bad quality.. scion better have a talk with pioneer!

I think it would be able to be reproduced for the dealer.. the 2nd dealer i went to just took my word for it and got another one.. I have also contacted Scion.. maybe you should too? it helps a lot..

let us know how it goes.. i go in next week for another cd player..hope this one works fine.. oh one thing. the parts guy said they were on backorder, according to pioneer.. but it finally did show up 3 days later.. i think pioneer has a bad batch out there..