Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

question on meguiars 'quik detailer'

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default question on meguiars 'quik detailer'

it says on the bottle to use right after a rainstorm, dust storm, or any other conditions. does this mean i can use this product when dirt or other things are on the car? won't this scratch or ruin the finish?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

this is a good product.i use it all the time on both my rides.i haven't noticed any paint scratches on both my rides...........juan
Old 08-19-2004, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member

i love the stuff i havent noticed any scratches after i used it i also use it after washes when i dont feel like waxing works great.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but is there a specific time that i have to use it? like right after i wash?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you could use it anytime day or night after washing the car or even if you don't wash it you could still use it it's all up to you.i washed my ride two weeks ago and have only used QD since then and it makes it really shiny and looking clean until i go to the car wash again.........juan
Old 08-19-2004, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

QD is a very good product but meguiar's Final Inspection is even better. Try you some of that.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i could use this product even if dirt is on the car and it won't scratch the finish? dammit, why didn't try this earlier?
Old 08-21-2004, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Quik Detailier IS NOT car wash in a bottle. If the car is has visible DIRT or debris, you should wash the car.

If there is just a coating of dust or pollen, I usually use a car duster and then hit it with Quik Detailer.

Basically, if you could run the car duster over it, and the dirt/debris would still be on the paint, you should wash the car.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try not to use it when the car has been in the sun and is hot. I think it can make the wax on your car already, kind of hazy. Really great product tho... :D I try to use it when I have smudges or water spots just from driving around and yes, it is not a spray on car wash but, helps to extend the time between thorough cleanings.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion05BOPxB
Quik Detailier IS NOT car wash in a bottle. If the car is has visible DIRT or debris, you should wash the car.

If there is just a coating of dust or pollen, I usually use a car duster and then hit it with Quik Detailer.

Basically, if you could run the car duster over it, and the dirt/debris would still be on the paint, you should wash the car.
^^I am not too sure about that..^^ I use it no matter whats on the car, and have done this for years on my parents cars and have NO problems. After a rain storm @ 9 o'clock I go in my garage and use it on my xB before I go ro church on Sunday, or if I am going to a party. I would call it a carwash in a bottle. But it does not mean that you never wash your car. If there is clogs of wet mud on your car, u need to wash it, that is common sense..

I wash every weekend and use NXT "Booster Wax", use Quick Detailer Wendesday and wash again on the weekend. Done this with my xB for almost 4 weeks, and with no problems at all.

My only tip when using Quick detailer, do not be afraid to use ALOT of towels, expecially when it is dirty. Just fold it to a clean side and when the towel is getting dirty all around get a new one.

-nt

P.S. on the back of the bottle it says quote: "Use Quick Detailer right after a rain storm, dust storm, or any other conditions that ruins you 'just waxed' appearance"
Old 08-22-2004, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member

Just make sure and use soft towels, like micro-fiber, and avoid paper towels. Paper towels have small traces of iron that can scratch glass and clearcoat.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use it all the time! But I do apply and rub out with a micro fiber cloth just to be safe! Good stuff havent noticed any problems with it. Also a good thing to use during the week to keep your car looking nice is the California Duster...this thing works wonders!
Old 08-23-2004, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheDanger
I use it all the time! But I do apply and rub out with a micro fiber cloth just to be safe! Good stuff havent noticed any problems with it. Also a good thing to use during the week to keep your car looking nice is the California Duster...this thing works wonders!
what's a california duster?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

this is the california duster.it is a great buy.you could buy it at any local auto parts store...............juan

Old 08-24-2004, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes that is the best thing to keep your car clean between washes!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was skeptical of the quik detailer when it came out back in 1995 or so.. but i've used it and it actually works.. just make sure you wet the surface a lot!! it's the poor man's wax job.. lol.. never had any scratches..
Old 08-24-2004, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I hated that duster... maybe it's because my car is black, but it left visible crap all over my car. The package said to let the new duster air dry for like 48 hours prior to use, so it wouldn't leave parafin on your car. I let it air for days longer, and it just make my car look nasty.

In between washes, I have been using "Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss Detailer". It doesn't leave white streaks like the Meguiars did.

Here in So Cal, I only have to worry about dust, soot and pollen, so I rarely wash my car. (My condo association won't allow me to wash it there, anyway, and I refuse to drive it through a car wash.) I have only put Zaino on it twice since I bought the car last December. I can tell when it's starting to wear off.

BUT... I use detail spray on my car 6 days a week (in the morning, in the shade). And like Nathant888 said, I use soft microfiber rags and turn them constantly. If there is no dew on the car, I use a squirt bottle to spray a little water on it first to help lift the dust.

So far, I haven't noticed any scratches, but if I ever do, Zaino sells a product that hides them. Oh, and no "wax on, wax off" round circles! Wipe that baby down with long strokes to avoid those round, spidery scratches.

A side note on the microfiber rags... I always hand wash them and hang them to dry, so they don't pick up nasty lint from the machines. I never use fabric softener on them either - that stuff makes towels repel water rather than soak it up.

An extra tip for when you are cleaning your engine... always use a separate rag for cleaning around your battery. Then either throw that rag away, or wash it in baking soda and then in soap.