Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Rain-X Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Rain-X Question

I just put a coat of rain-x on my front windshield, and it occurred to me that windex would probably cut right through the stuff. For anyone that uses rain-x, how do you clean your windshield once it's on? And about how long does an application last (my xb isn't garage kept)?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Banned
SL Member

I can tell you that just from using RainX in the past, generally it last a couple of months. I apply it like the directions say, but when it comes time to remove it, i have found that if you use a wet paper towel, it wont leave the film on the window as much. Make sure you rotate the wet paper towel, otherwise youll just be rubbing in RainX onto of RainX.

As far as cleaning, i wash the windows just like i was washing the rest of the car. I never really used Windex on the outter windows after applying the RainX.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Banned

yeah i think u could last without windex
Old 05-31-2004, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Nope, can't last without the Windex, hehe. Have to use it every day. That's why the Rain-X I bought 6 months ago is still unopened.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:17 PM
Banned
SL Member

yep, windex clears off RainX far too fast. RainX is nothing but a form of silicone, btw.

I have used RainX off and on since 1973 when it first appeared. Silicone bearing car waxes do about the same job as RainX.

Fl. weather burns off RainX from a sloping windshield pretty fast.

BTW- the RainX of a much earlier generation- before windshield wipers were standard equipment: Rub a sliced potato across the glass when it rains. OR wipe the windshield down with kerosene NO, don't laugh: "at first the vision will be smeared worse than before, but in a minute the view will be crystal clear- the water rolls right off the glass".

And so -this is how RainX works, too- by making the glass so slippery that the droplets want to fall away. I'm sure that kerosene when wet and fresh (a very temporary effect) is far more slick than RainX. I should try it sometimes for kicks- to prove that in 1919 people weren't so dumb. :
Old 06-28-2004, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I used Rain-X yrs and yrs ago, but then stopped because I was too lazy to spend the 20 minutes to reapply it once a month or so. It worked great though, and lasted a pretty long time. Often didn't have to even use wipers since the water sloughing off nicely was less obtrusive than having wipers go back and forth. What got me back into using it was buying the combination windshield/Rain-X solution, so that every time I spray to clean the windows, it is automatically reapplied.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've used rain-x on all of my vehicles. i usually apply it every time i wash the vehicles ( between 1-2 weeks depending on the weather). i love it. i'll drive in heavy downpour without the wipers and you can still see really well. my wife tends to use the wipers even though i tell her the rain-x will do a great job. i hate when you use the wipers and your windshield gets that outline of the wiper path. i'm surprised no one has come up with a windshield that has a coating from the factory to repell water and other things. hmmm...that's a good idea.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SCI FIRE
Nope, can't last without the Windex, hehe. Have to use it every day. That's why the Rain-X I bought 6 months ago is still unopened.

Doesn't rain-x make window wipes? It thought I saw them at Wal-Mart a while ago... why not just wash your windows with that?