Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Rear Hatch Door -- best way to close it

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rear Hatch Door -- best way to close it

I know for some including myself, there's been concern that the only way to close the xB's rear hatch is to slam it shut. I've found that the xB is a fairly air-tight vehicle and the best way I've found to shut the rear hatch -- without thinking I'm damaging something -- is to leave one of the doors open, and as I'm shutting the hatch, just let it go when it's about 6"-8" from closing. The door's own weight gives it enough force to shut w/o me feeling like I'm slamming it closed. fwiw...
Old 11-27-2003, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Rear Hatch Door -- best way to close it

Originally Posted by rjsalvi
I know for some including myself, there's been concern that the only way to close the xB's rear hatch is to slam it shut.
Well, with our I just pull it down moderately via the bottom handhold until it reaches the point where the gas springs won't slow it down any more. Then I pull my hand out of the way and let the door close. This seems to latch it right every time without the need to open another door.

However, it seems that there is quite a bit of variation from vehicle to vehicle in how the rear hatch closes. Some are easy, some are hard.

George
Old 11-27-2003, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Rear Hatch Door -- best way to close it

Originally Posted by rjsalvi
I know for some including myself, there's been concern that the only way to close the xB's rear hatch is to slam it shut. I've found that the xB is a fairly air-tight vehicle and the best way I've found to shut the rear hatch -- without thinking I'm damaging something -- is to leave one of the doors open, and as I'm shutting the hatch, just let it go when it's about 6"-8" from closing. The door's own weight gives it enough force to shut w/o me feeling like I'm slamming it closed. fwiw...
i agree rksalvi....

mine will not shut easily if all other doors are shut, but with a side door or window open it will latch on its own by letting it drop like you mentioned....

the xB is fairly airtight and i think the size of the rear hatch makes it have to push a lot of air out of the way to close....
Old 11-27-2003, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I first noticed this problem at the dealer on my first test drive. Even when I slammed the thing down, the light would stay on. What works best for me is to bring the hatch down about 2/3 of the way. Then, with my palm on the Scion logo, shut it down - firmly without slamming it. Works everytime!
Old 12-01-2003, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I usually put my palm on the lower portion of the hatch...below the license plate closest to where the it will latch and give a firm shove to make the light go off. I'm almost positive that even if the rear is latched properly the light may still go on because the sensor is misaligned or something.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:41 PM

I use the emblum myself, I push down on the emblum to close it.

Old 12-02-2003, 01:22 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member
Scion Evolution

push the emblem down firmly
Old 12-10-2003, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member

I have tried all the suggestions made in this forum since about 3months ago and I'm having a 50/50 chance or less. What definitely helps is opening a door but even doing that I still have to close it 3or 4 times. What I've been doing lately and seems to have a 75% success is opening a door and pushing on the left (driver side) corner of the hatch. Seems like different strokes for different cars but definitely there is a problem there.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:05 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

I just slam it and pray nothing breaks, even when I slam it sumtimes stays open.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any one having problems shutting there door.. it never wants to shut tight unless you slam the dam thing! it always leaves that lil gap like its open and you can pull on it
Old 12-24-2003, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Possibly leave your vents on the fresh air side rather than recirculate?

I was driving to work today with all the windows up and the doors locked. I pushed the air vent over to fresh air and the open door light came on?!?! I have to go to the dealership anyhow for a few things, why not one more.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

By being gentle to the box.....