Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Removal of Oil Filter (problem)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member

I am in Socal and have not heard anything about free oil changes (beside the three provided by Scion). It's probably something you got just from that particular d/ship. Don't know.
About the strap oil filter, Craftsman is the one I used and it worked great. If ya'll plan to change your own oil, get one. That ____ was tight .
Old 01-29-2004, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

[quote="bobbyboshay"]
Originally Posted by o4 USDM bB
is anyone else in socal? i bought mine from claremont toyota/scion and i was told that the scions come with free lifetime oil changes every 5000 miles. i think it's true, because a coworker of mine bought one a while ago and he told me the same thing. i normally change my own oil, but if it only costs me disposal fees, then i'll take it to the dealer to do it.[/quote

I believe you get 3 free oil changes.
Scion provides 3 free oil changes, each Scion comes with a factory little "thiingy" that's on the glove box. Anything more than that is probably a special deal that the dealer provides.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

C dog,

This is the best wrench for the toyota oil filters.
I have used in on the filters for the past 6 years, because the filter is the same used on the echo, corolla.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member

[quote="qualityscion"]C dog,
This is the best wrench for the toyota oil filters.
I have used in on the filters for the past 6 years, because the filter is the same used on the echo, corolla. (Image Above)[/quote ]
Hey thanks, that looks like it works awesome. I haven't seen one of those before.
Where can one obtain one of those fancy things? Do you know quality scion?
If you have been using it for 6 years that you probably forgot but that's cool. If you know that's cool if not I will keep my eyes peeled.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by scionracerxb
they sell an oil filter removal tool, that is kinda like a big socket that fits on the filter, and then you just pop in you wratchet and bingo it comes right out.[/img]
this is definately easiest- and its definately like that with any brand new car regardless of make or model- but i do remember toyotas being one of the toughest- aside from the tool shown in the picture scionracerxb showed there are ones that actually grip tighter the harder you turn, and can be attached to a 3/8" ratchet- you can tell the difference easily as the outside ring is kind of split and there is a spring or two going through the center.

lol didn't see the message right above- thats the one i'm talkin about- get you one of those and you can change oil on any 4cyl toyota, kia, new nissans, new hondas etc.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:26 AM

wel I did three oil changes on thursday before el toro and I used my bear huge hands to remove all of them. ScionJohn, bBted and 2Fixa. They all brought out the toyota tool and I laughed and ripped the filters right off. Now if you will excuse me I have to finish cooling off my hand with this ice bucket! Seriously I did take all of them out by hand, I am blessed with huge hands I guess, but to stay on topic. I recomenned the strap tool for oil filter removal it does work. :D

Old 02-11-2004, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sitting here scratching my head fellas.

I have never in my life purchased a oil filter remover thingy. I have raced on street with semi modified cars, and on the track with Van Demon's and we have never had the need to crank on an oil filter. I think it's about the time you are willing to take during your maintenence.

I do my own oil changes for a couple of reasons. First, the price for a synthetic oil change is friggin rediculous. Secondly, even if you find a good price, you have some minimum wage goober from god knows where trying to do the work, I am just not that trusting.
Oil changes are really no more difficult than changing your tire.
Now, I haven't recieved my xB yet so I guess there is a possiblity that the filter is in a place where a hand cant really fit, in which case, nevermend what I just wrote. If so, I guess it is true what they say, The biggest difference between Honda and Toyota is the designers at Honda try and make parts easy for the owner to work on whereas Toyota tries to make parts difficault to access so the owner is almost forced to have the dealer do the work at that premium price.

For those of you who actually change your own oil or want to without a filter wrench, a few extra steps should kill the need for a doohicky to tighten the filter.

#1 CHANGE YOUR OIL EVERY 3000, DAMN THE RECOMMENDATIONS!

#1-a Never put your filter on dry, fill 90% of it with oil first.

#2 When it is filled, dip your finger in oil and lubricate the outer seal with it.

#3 Carefully screw on the filter to contact.

#4 Remove any oil spillage from filter sides with a break cleaner soaked rag so the filter isn't slippery.

#5 Wash and dry your hands and then hand tighten the filter as far as you can.

#6 Start your car and check for leaks, keep your eye on it for a day or two. You will get more comfortable with it each time and develop a feel for the tightness.

If you follow do everthing correctly, at your next oil change you should be able to get your filter off by hand. In the 12 years i have been driving I have only had a leak once and that was because the filter was dropped throwing it out of round. It doesnt take much to form a good seal I assure you.

I have owned many cars and this has always worked, however, I have never owned a Toyota so ...........maybe times are changin.

Sorry for the rant.

G
Old 02-11-2004, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Giovanni
I'm sitting here scratching my head fellas.

I have never in my life purchased a oil filter remover thingy. I have raced on street with semi modified cars, and on the track with Van Demon's and we have never had the need to crank on an oil filter. I think it's about the time you are willing to take during your maintenence.

I do my own oil changes for a couple of reasons. First, the price for a synthetic oil change is friggin rediculous. Secondly, even if you find a good price, you have some minimum wage goober from god knows where trying to do the work, I am just not that trusting.
Oil changes are really no more difficult than changing your tire.
Now, I haven't recieved my xB yet so I guess there is a possiblity that the filter is in a place where a hand cant really fit, in which case, nevermend what I just wrote. If so, I guess it is true what they say, The biggest difference between Honda and Toyota is the designers at Honda try and make parts easy for the owner to work on whereas Toyota tries to make parts difficault to access so the owner is almost forced to have the dealer do the work at that premium price.

For those of you who actually change your own oil or want to without a filter wrench, a few extra steps should kill the need for a doohicky to tighten the filter.

#1 CHANGE YOUR OIL EVERY 3000, DAMN THE RECOMMENDATIONS!

#2 When it is filled, dip your finger in oil and lubricate the outer seal with it.

#3 Carefully screw on the filter to contact.

#4 Remove any oil spillage from filter sides with a break cleaner soaked rag so the filter isn't slippery.

#5 Wash and dry your hands and then hand tighten the filter as far as you can.

#6 Start your car and check for leaks, keep your eye on it for a day or two. You will get more comfortable with it each time and develop a feel for the tightness.

If you follow do everthing correctly, at your next oil change you should be able to get your filter off by hand. In the 12 years i have been driving I have only had a leak once and that was because the filter was dropped throwing it out of round. It doesnt take much to form a good seal I assure you.

I have owned many cars and this has always worked, however, I have never owned a Toyota so ...........maybe times are changin.

Sorry for the rant.

G
Actually, the owners manual says 5k miles OR 7k miles. Also, no need to full up the oil filter before putting it on - it puts no strain on your engine or oil pump. Plus, many car's filter locations are on their sides, so filling it just causes the oil to come out when you reattach it.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by rbloedow

G
Actually, the owners manual says 5k miles OR 7k miles. Also, no need to full up the oil filter before putting it on - it puts no strain on your engine or oil pump. Plus, many car's filter locations are on their sides, so filling it just causes the oil to come out when you reattach it.
i agree, i could never figure out why people are filling the filters before installing them. For just that split second when you start the car up after an oil change, the filter is already filled up and doing its job, and the engine is already coated with oil anyway .. hmmmmm.... butcha know what, there are those who will agree, and those who will want me kicked in the nads "cause that just aint right, you have to fill the filter first!" Go figure.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
Originally Posted by rbloedow

G
i agree, i could never figure out why people are filling the filters before installing them. For just that split second when you start the car up after an oil change, the filter is already filled up and doing its job, and the engine is already coated with oil anyway .. hmmmmm.... butcha know what, there are those who will agree, and those who will want me kicked in the nads "cause that just aint right, you have to fill the filter first!" Go figure.
He's definately correct about 3k rule, toyota says 5 or 7 but they said that with their 2.2L and they had a serious problem with oil gelling and later turned their recommendation back to 3k. I also know from personal experience that a brand new 4cyl toyota engine can have a tendency to burn oil through its infancy (synthetics included) into adulthood so keeping a stricter regiment is advised. The "priming" of the filter was and is really necessary on the larger inline 6 turbo diesels- and larger filters(usually larger engines 8cyl etc.) where you might be worried about early oil starvation. It's not necessary on most newer cars manufactured today but if your filter doesn't sit horizontally it can't hurt. Giovanni is also right that if you pre lube the gasket before installation of the new filter that it will make it dramatically easier to remove later and helps provide a better seal.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I KNEW I wasn't the only one, thanks bro!

G
Old 09-27-2004, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use that filter wrench on the first page. I tried to remove the filter from factory by hand and could not get it. I went in and got the filter wrench from our Honda praying it was the same size. It was and what a breeze the filter was to remove.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hello,
i know this is a 100 year old post, but you can use 80 grit sandpaper and wrap it around tha filter and take tha damn thing off!works every time,shadetree eng,works for me.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Toyota dealer also sells those special filter wrenches.

I use this filter when I change oil, it works for any Toyota.

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...&page=5&#28718
Old 01-26-2005, 03:34 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Back In Black xA

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...page=5瀮
This is the easiest, most universal wrench you can find. The more pressure you apply, the tighter it grips.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:57 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have to fill up the filters for the hydro pumps (sorry little off topic) say on like a john deere skid steer or a bobcat
Old 02-02-2005, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Speedpunk
Originally Posted by Back In Black xA

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...page=5瀮
This is the easiest, most universal wrench you can find. The more pressure you apply, the tighter it grips.
I'll give you a hint, every Toyota Technician I know uses this tool for most all filters. See your local Matco dealer.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

spend $25 have someone change it (jiffy lube whomever) and make sure u are standing there when the put the new filter on and make sure they don't over tighten.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

as long as theres oil on the seal and hand tight about a turn past contact and bam u are fine. i change oil via reccomended 3k is a lil overboard but thats me.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Banned
SL Member

i used a pipe wrench once.. easier than channel locks

Quick Reply: Removal of Oil Filter (problem)