Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Removing water spots

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Invisible Glass is my window cleaner of choice, but I have never had luck using it to remove hard H2O spots on glass. It is pH neutral, so I fail to understand why it is recommded on anything but light spotting.

1:1 vineger to distilled H2O should do it, if not, straight vineger. Vineger is a mild acid and will remove 99% of water spots from windows and paint in my experience.

If neither work, you can try claying the glass (you will be amazed at how much gunk comes off a window you just cleaned) as you would paint. When I "retire" my clay from paint use, I save it and use it only on windows.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hmm odd when I use invisible glass it works wonders. Never had issues with it not removing water spots.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:07 PM
SL Member

I will go try vinegar then... I am really hoping it works as I am starting to get really frustrated.

Does vinegar remove sealant? Actually does Invisible Glass?

I plan to wash and re apply some klasse AIO after using it but would be good to know anyway.

I was wondering about claying glass... I thought maybe it wouldn't be a good idea but heck, maybe I will pick up a clay bar too.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Devedander
I will go try vinegar then... I am really hoping it works as I am starting to get really frustrated.

Does vinegar remove sealant? Actually does Invisible Glass?

I plan to wash and re apply some klasse AIO after using it but would be good to know anyway.

I was wondering about claying glass... I thought maybe it wouldn't be a good idea but heck, maybe I will pick up a clay bar too.
1- It will weaken sealant and I would recommend reapplication, but if you are just doing your window, I dont understand why you would get any on the paint anyway - its not like you have to pour the vineger all over the car. Just dab it on the spot, work it in w/ a circular motion (30 sec minimum) and dry. If its still there, repeat.

2 - Claying wont hurt your glass at all. It is a great idea to use it on your windshield.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 PM
SL Member

Well with the Invisible Glass in a can it is an arosol so it gets all over a little bit. And my water spots go right up to the edge of the glass so I am getting overspray on the paint while cleaning.

The vinegar should be easier to control but I just like to know what to be careful of. Like if it drips all down into the area around the sunroof is it going to eat the rubber seals and destroy the lub on the rails?

Am I coming across as totally ****?

I will grab some clay... I had wanted to clay my car at some point but figured that could wait until some day in the future... maybe that day has arrived
Old 06-11-2008, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="Devedander"]Am I coming across as totally ****? ..[quote]

Totally.

But thats OK. I am the same way.

White distilled vineger is very safe - it is a food product and can be ingested with no health problems at all. You might want to wiki the term to find out all about it.

I have used it undiluted on my paint with no problems at all. Even let it sit for 10 minutes to remove a H2O spot. Although I have not used it on door seals specifically, I do use it to clean my house (and have so for the past year or so) and have wiped down woods, plastics, rubber, t-shirts, even wax candles with no issues at all.

IG - I dont know. I think it says on the can not to let it touch plastics.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 AM
SL Member

Well the vinegar seemed to have some effect... I will have to wait until the morning to see how it looks in the sun as I can't start washing around my place until after 7pm due to the heat and the sun shining on the area where my hose will reach so I am hoping.

I noticed something odd... after washing with vinegar (or IG) the glass looks clean but there is some coating left over that makes the microfiber cloths stick like crazy. It seems that scrubbing this off is what achieves most of the cleaning, not the actual liquid touching the water spots.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy Steel Wool and spray any type of window cleaning product and that should do the trick.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:13 AM
SL Member

Thanks for the advice... I know it's unfounded but I have a weird feeling applying anything abrasive to my glass so I am trying to do everything I can short of that first.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The name of the stuff I use is Sparkle, by the R.C. Laurence company.

My car had the worst water spots on the windows and this made them look like brand new. Hopefully you can find some locally.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

IF you want to Remove the Real Tough dried on Water Spots,
No vinegar, Invisible Glass, steel wool, clay bar, no elbow grease.
This stuff it made for that problem:
http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=303

MR LUV
Old 06-13-2008, 11:57 PM
SL Member

Thanks for the follow up guys. I will keep an eye out for those products (I now have a veritable glass cleaning shop under my sink).

Well the final result... the best overall turned out to be the vinegar. Most of the spots seem to be completely gone and a few stubborn ones still have a minor visible ring left at just the right angle but very hard to notice.

While under normal conditions they are not there, when the glass gets wet (either with some water or wash stuff or you just blow on it to get condensation) you can still see most of the water spots in the liquid... obviously they are still there to some extent but I will have to decide how **** I get about that.

One thing I find odd is that the number on the lower left of my windshield (probably some kind of tracking number during shipping and import) still shows up solid when wet. It must be some knid of wax pencil that just didn't come off... that and the suction cup spots on my glass that is probably from the machines handling it. But I think those are on the inside.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good stuff guys. i have water spots all over my sunroof and rear window. will definitely try some vinegar and i have invisible glass at home. thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Devedander
Well the final result... the best overall turned out to be the vinegar. Most of the spots seem to be completely gone and a few stubborn ones still have a minor visible ring left at just the right angle but very hard to notice..
Glad it worked out OK for you!

One last bit of advice - try either a number of folded paper towels, or even a washcloth sized towel, soaked in vinegar and somehow attach the square (tape, book, ???) of fabric to the glass and let it sit overnight or longer.

The point being to leave the vinegar in contact with the spots for an extended length of time. This would allow the acid in the V to really work off those spots.

I know if you have mineral deposits on your sink facuet, you can wrap the are w/ paper towels and drench tjem with the V. Next morning, the stains are gone!
Old 06-26-2008, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MR_LUV
IF you want to Remove the Real Tough dried on Water Spots,
No vinegar, Invisible Glass, steel wool, clay bar, no elbow grease.
This stuff it made for that problem:
http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=303

MR LUV
I just bought this and i finally got around to use it and it removed all the water spots i had on my windows, i recommend to any1 Thanks for the advice Mr LUV! No wonder they call you Mr LUV
Old 06-26-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I second the
Sparkle, by the c.r. Laurence company.
cat no. sp101
I had real bad spots took the car to the glass shop and they gave me a bottle.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what stores carry Spot-X? I don't feel like ordering it online.

thanks.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 7thgear

thanks.
Try the Sparkle instead. It works great.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HR_Guy
Originally Posted by 7thgear

thanks.
Try the Sparkle instead. It works great.
ok. what stores can i get Sparkle at?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPag...4.html?Origin=

Quick Reply: Removing water spots