Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

ScanGauge II released!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Setup was pretty easy, It takes awhile to calibrate MPG the way they would like for the most accurate reading, so that will take awhile. My digital camera is at work. I'll try to remember and get you some pics tommorrow, probably on the other site, it's easier to post pictures over there.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member

Default i like it

well, i have started to look at OBD2 readers for my box, and the scangauge certainly looks nice. Since i haven't seen a pic here yet of how people have it mounted, how about some thoughts on its actual performance/ease of use? I suspect that i will mostly have it on fuel economy rating along with rpm and speed.. But hey, i'd have to play with it first.. Unless there are any other suggestions for computers to look at other than the Brockway model? The $170 price is certainly an incentive to purchase it.

The other feature i am looking for will be some sort of data logging. I'd like to import trip data to a PC and actually see some graphs and other sundry info to give me a better idea of what's happening under the hood. Since the USB cable won't be out till August, is it known yet what info will be pulled and importable?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:46 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'd have to ask the manufacturer about data availability, and they probably won't tell you until the cable is shipping.

Right now, over at CLUBxB.com, one of the members just got one and is playing with it - has some pics, too.

Tom
Old 06-29-2006, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i'm interested in the scangauge....

the CEL eliminator feature is nice because i've been throwing an evap system CEL every couple of days and its getting annoying to have to go to autozone to have it cleared all the time.
fuel mileage is nice also
that battery voltage meter would help if i ever got an audio system.
i dont know what other feature i would use. ah well, ill figure out something.

has anyone found a cheaper place to pick up one of these things?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member

from the ones i've looked at, this *is* the cheapest. Just about every other comp i've seen is in the $300 range. Course, there are some programmers and other tools upwards of $1k, but i just want an OBD2 reader that will output visible info and let me datalog to export to PC and play with. I think my main thing i will be interested in is visual graphing of fuel consumption. An estimated MPG is just a flat, linear average, but watching a plotted graph and correlating it to whee i was driving and what the road conditions were, will certainly give me quite a bit of insight into the box's inner workings. Of course, that's only prevalent if indeed the scangauge will support that feature set. If not, then i'll just have to look elsewhere. Too bad the usb cable isn't available already, because i have a trip to a wedding next friday that is 359 miles one way.. So i'll be adding quite a few miles to the box. I would certainly like to have the scanner in place prior to the trip, but with a 7 day window, i don't think i should order it quite yet if they are under shipping constraints. Perhaps i will call them in the morning and see what the real deal is.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just took a look on their website and did a quick read through of this thread. Like someone else said, this thing looks like a pretty cool toy to have. Now if it could pick up readings like EGT and some of the more necessary readings it would be awesome.

Still at the price, it is a pretty nice toy to have.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I finally got around to getting a ScangaugeII. I don't think it took me more than 15 minutes to install it. I put it in the cubby with the velcro and ran the cable down the right side of the steering column. Maybe someday I'll get around to drilling a hole for the wire and make it invisable, but it hardly shows now. I think it is great and just wish it showed oil pressure.

Now my question. I have, of course, been fooling around with the various readouts. My problem is the MPH. It shows 27MPH when the car shows 30MPH, and it shows 65MPH when the car shows 70MPH. I don't need this function, but it raises the question of how this affects the other things, like MPG. I have 205-50-16 tires. According to all the calculations I have seen, the error from stock tires should be 1.4 percent, and I think the error would be the opposite with the Scangauge reading being higher. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-12-2006, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Easyoboe2 - what do you use your scangauge for mostly?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Easyoboe2, the 'indicated' reading on the analog speedometer is actually supposed to read higher than 'actual' speed.

The ScanGauge will show what the ECU thinks the 'actual' vehicle speed is, no matter what the analog shows.

Both will show a speed different from what is expected if the tire diameter is different from OEM, since the only way the ECU has of telling vehicle speed is converting wheel RPM to MPH. If the tire travels 1.4% more (or less) with each rotation than the OEM tires, the ECU's view of the world will be off by that much.

There are numerous topics that discuss speedometer accuracy here at ScionLife.

Tomas

{edit} I just re-read my first line in this post and even to me it made NO sense. Corrected.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tomas;
Thanks. I knew you would come in with an answer.

jwaggz82;
1. I have to admit that it is a nice, expensive toy.
2. I was interested in the difference in temperature between ambient and air intake. ie,
do I need or want a cold air intake.
3. It's good to have info like water temperature.
4. Warning codes.
5. Mostly, maybe, gas mileage, trip mileage, fuel remaining etc.
6. And now I find out from my observations, and from Tomas, about the MPH
differences.
7. And the difference between men and boys, is the price of their toys.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its been awhile here, Just installed mine yesterday, i hear it is coming out with an upgraded software too. I'll be interested to see what that means. And also yet another version is coming out later. Scan gauge III. has a USB port for downlading software on it and stuff. Well this is just what i heard, but from a very reliable source.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member

Resurrecting an old thread...

I'm interested in the ScanGauge II for my tC. Does anyone know of any pics of a tC witha SGII mounted? I'm pretty sure it will fit in the cubby hole down below the stereo.

Where is the ODB2 port on the tC? How easy is it to mount this such that the wire is not showing at all?

Any tC owners got one of these things?
Old 11-23-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

tortus - i heard that its very small so I think there should be no question at all it will fit.

tCizzler - post any more info if you hear about the scan gaugeIII
Old 11-27-2006, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the best picture i have of my install, although it is not in the cubby hole, it is a thought for placement. I took off my cover and mounted the scan gauge blow the faceplate, and then put Gravoply over the whole thing. It caught a glare in the photo, but the cover is almost an exact match to the dash.

jwaggz82- I will do that
Old 11-27-2006, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

looks good - I used my opening for my radar detector. Good people are thinking of ways to use it since you dont need an inch gap below the radio.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Radio door stills works.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's on the christmas list... very excited
Old 12-09-2006, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by 2_tC

Radio door stills works.
get two pieces of plastic cut out the same color and center it - you will have a bad ___ setup.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

what a great tool!!! love mine