Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

SEAFOAM..FAILED! updated! and the idle is good again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SEAFOAM..FAILED! updated! and the idle is good again!!!

ARGH.. i am so angry right now.

Today they let me go home early and i just checked the oil and it was very LOW! which is surprised me a little bit.... ( i changed the oil 5k miles ago with synthetic) so i went to autozone, got some 5w30 synth and seafoam.
Plus since i got the car ( i am the second owner) i had this little breather on the engine, and a cap on the intake. So i bought a 13mm silicone hose to connect it back together, to see if my idle will be good again ( because its not that good).

I came home, poured the 1/3rd in the the crank.. the other 1/3rd in the gastank and tried to put the rest in the intake using the new hose what i got.
Took of the plastic cap from the intake and connected the new hose and i told my friend to start up the car and give some gas.. i poured the seafoam slowly and it filled up in the hose.... it stuck! didint go down!!! i was like WTF??!?!?!?!?!
took of the hose, while i was trying to hold the end of it so i dont waste the seafoam.
Then took a screwdriver and put it in the hole on the intake i felt something! then i pushed it a little bit and that thing FELT inside the intake!!!!! i almost stabbed myself with the screwdriver. so i had to take of the whole intake to get that something out ( and i never did that before , btw it was easy, thank god!)

so it was another piece of rubber!!!!!! i dont even want to imagine what could happen if the TB suck that thing in...

So i put the hose back, poured the seafoam while my friend hold the gas at 2-3k rpm and after i poured the hole thing in to the intake i took a look at the ground and all the seafoam was there... it didnt suck up nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it came thru the intake filter ((((((((((

now i have to clean the filter too, right?

so seafoam + cold air intake , short ram intake wont work!

read further for the update.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

You probably don't have to clean the filter, but let it dry out before using the car again so the motor doesn't keep sucking that crap in.

You shouldve poured it directly into the TB by removing the intake from it, thats how i've seen it done.

Also I wouldn't trust putting the seafoam in your engine oil, IMO you ruined the oil you put in your motor (thats if you changed the oil, THEN seafoamed) and I wouldn't run the car with a seafoam/oil mixture.

Additives in your oil are a huge no-no, look it up online.

Just change your oil, let your air filter dry, and call it a wash with that seafoam project.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:42 AM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i thought you put it in the brake booster not the intake
Old 01-18-2009, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors

1. With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
2. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
3. Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
4. Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You disconnect the hose from the brake booster and pour it thru the hose since the engine is supplying vacuum to the booster. The vacuum will "suck" the Seafoam into the intake manifold, thus cleaning the intake.

Btw, if you drive your car alot and DON'T let it idle ALOT, you don't have to worry about carbon build-up! LOTS of idling and short trips build up LOTS of carbon on the valves, in the intake and on tops of pistons!
Old 01-18-2009, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wont drive my car with the seafoam in the crank!!!! i got the oil, so i want to changed it AFTER i did the seafoaming..

i seen it somewhere that they where put in the intake... tomorrow i will put it in the brake booster.. i just dont know where is that or what is that:D
Old 01-18-2009, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The brake master cylinder is bolted to the brake booster.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont know where are those
Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the horror story continues... :D
so.. i bought another can of seafoam...
pored the 1/3 in tho the fitting on the left side of the intake manifold.

( if i dont cover the end of the hose with thumb the car would die...) so i pured the seafoam very slowly!!! maybe too slow because at the end of the half cup the car revved up by itself in to the higher rev area and the smoke started to come out already. so we shut off the car and waited 10 mins.. then started the car and some smoke came out.. not too much.. just some.
did we do something wrong? the engine was warm when we did it. and after that i just changed the oil... but not the oil filter should i change that too after seafoam?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah!!!!!! i just drove my car around and the idle is MUCH MUCH better!! it wont drop to 400-500 rpm.. it stays around 600-700

and when i turn on the the A/C it wont start to shake like crazy.. WOHOOOOO!!!

im happy!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes do an oil change with a new filter
Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Glad it worked for you

You should change the oil & filter because the filter now has diluted the viscosity of the oil thanks to the seafoam trapped in it. Very little, but it will be bad for the motor and longevity of the oil.

Shty part is that you already added new oil with the oil filter in there so you contaminated the brand new oil by not swapping the filter.

I would dump that oil out, and re-do the oil change with new oil and a fresh filter.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

sea foam ftw
Old 01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks like imma gonna try out seafoam this year when its comes time to change my oil in the spring time...