Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Spray Wax-does it really Work ???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Spray Wax-does it really Work ???????

In another forum we had a thread and a “Friendly Debate” that I'd to call it a “draw,” since neither one of the contenders could make a decision about the targeted subject. During that debate, the performance of the so-called Spray Wax came into discussion. This Spray Wax is a product commonly found within many car care lines - not our particular brand - but a spray wax product itself.

With that in my mind, it got me thinking: maybe my contender is right. Maybe spray waxes are nothing more than a “myth.” So I decided to conduct our own test.

Background

We chose a 1965 Datsun trunk lid, a lid that we have used since 2005 we had borrowed the trunk lid for the 2005 National Car Show in Atlanta Georgia, the so-called Nopi Nationals, Organization we sponsor during the 2005 racing season. The car was from Florida, but how well the previous owner cared for it is unknown. I know the car was used from 1965 to 1976, and at the end of the car-life, due to a bad engine, it was parked outside. One of my dear friends who loves project cars - if they are original and unmolested, he wants them - has over 10 of them. All of them will come to life, some day, so he thinks.

The trunk lid had its ORIGINAL paint, now faded and dull. The left side had been prepared by us and no wet sanding had ever been done. We did, however, clay it and, using our products along with a Porter Cable machine, got the best shine that we could accomplish with our products. This showed us that, with the proper technique, tools and products that deliver as advertised, your car's surface can remain a long term investment.

Trunk lid out of storage "As is"

The right side had NEVER been touched, aside from a wash with straight plain water. There was no buffing, sanding, detailing, or single product used on the surface. The test carried out was to see if a Spray Wax could make ANY difference if applied all alone. Of course, today’s car finishes are much better since not too many 1965 panels are used for R&D.

The left side was re-touched to bring the shine back to life. This was clearly seen. The right side remained as we found it originally in 2005. I washed both sides with plain water. The left side shows that it had been protected and the wax job's performance was evident. The right side still appeared as old and dull. With the water applied, little to nothing could be seen, other than a dull finish.

After wash and a little TLC to the left side ONLY

Nothing was accomplished by look or feel. Next, I applied a layer of our spray wax, ONLY to the right side and only to the right portion of the lid. I followed the instructions as indicated on the label.

Clearly signs of two different color tones

As a result, you could actually feel the difference. It was much smoother and, if you looked closely, you could see the right section slightly shine - not much, but enough to see the line where the spray wax was applied. After the spray wax was applied with the help of my assistant, we rinsed the lid with water from a small bucket. Again the left side performed as expected; on the right side absolutely no improvement was seen.

Special helper for the REAL test, the water Test,

left Side

Right Side

With the water little to nothing could be seen, nothing more than a dull finish, nothing was accomplish.

End result a complete failure

I was very disappointed. My contender was correct! Maybe we needed to discontinue this product since we could never sell a spray wax that doesn’t perform as we claim. Then it occurred to me that the water from the bucket was not the correct way to go about it. So we move to another location, next to the garden hose. As I placed the lid on the grass I could imagine my contender next to me, smiling with an I-told-you-so look. Again, we rinsed the lid. Still, nothing happened. As I start walking away I could see that on the right side at the very end of the lid edge, the water was running downward. It was a sign of hope.

So I rinsed again and waited 5 minutes. I could see the same results, not exactly what I was expecting, but now I had something to look forward to. I dried the lid and applied another coat of the spray wax. After I finished removing the excess, I rinsed it again. The results were fantastic!

Different location with the garden hose, zero progress

Now you could CLEARLY see that we had accomplished our goal: a temporary protection, nothing more, nothing less. The product DID work! It worked as it was intended. Yes, it took two coats, but remember, we are talking about a trunk lid from 1965. The test reconfirmed that the spray wax does provide protection and it is a great temporary solution.

Huge progress been made right in front of our own eyes

The only down side is that I have used the original show lid and can never said again that it is "all original." At the end of the day, we can affirm that Spray Waxes do work. After all, I may have to send some to my contender as a token of gratitude for pushing us to prove our own product claims!

Final Answer, Turbo Wax Spray-N-Wax has deliver :twothumbs The photos don't lie, The Spray-n- Wax has risen to the occassion

Old 02-15-2008, 02:31 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wow, that cant be denied. It did work. And looks like you had fun proving it as well!!

Time to go to the junk yard and find yourself another test subject.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL

It took me an entire 12 hrs to do the test, I had to drive 90 miles to get the lid, then do the step by step, making sure I had the camera ready, I wanted the test to be done the best I could, when I first saw the first results I was like, oh,oh now what but I was not going to give up that easy

I’m sure my contender will have something to said, but I don't expect him to acknowledge that he was wrong, but the photos speak for their self.

Now I do need another trunk lid, I will work on that very soon

Since we damage the lid what the heck............... Done with the Porter Cable Machine

Old 02-15-2008, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 02-16-2008, 12:22 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I cant wait to get my car back and spray wax the whole thing. I shipped all my turbowax cleanign supplies (costed me close to $30 to ship priority to guam) but I am so confident in their supplies that it was worth it!!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone use wax as you dry products... i love that stuff eagle 1 and another brand makes the best... who uses it? and how often?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All done by hand with our Pre wax and Wax

Porsche Side Door

Hot Import Nights Show Winner

Rental Car

Hyundai

Driven2win.net Drag Racing School, Cavalier

Rental Car

Ford 4x4

Rental Car

Cadillac

Dodge Pacifica

Sponsored Mazda RX8

Sponsored Mazda 6

And the list is endless..............
Old 02-16-2008, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CSUnited14
does anyone use wax as you dry products... i love that stuff eagle 1 and another brand makes the best... who uses it? and how often?
well i use all turbo wax product and men they work
ck my signature and you will see
for how long it last well mine hold for more than a month
spray wax i used it if i want that fresh coat that you feel when you wax
or if im in a hurry and dont have time for a full wax

but one thing for shure it work and delivers

like it says "passion meets perfection"
Old 02-16-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I have been using this for about 6 mos and it has saved my backside. Where I live there is a sever drought and I can't wash with a hose at all. It has kept my car detailedf through every weather condition all winter