Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

For those of you having issues with your paint, read this!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default For those of you having issues with your paint, read this!

Okay, if you haven't heard about it yet or have been living under a rock for the past few weeks, a lot of Scion owners are beginning to notice what 'less-than-perfect' paint jobs Scion has done. I am going to arbitration with Scion within the next few weeks, and hope to present a strong case. Any progress I may make in this matter could end up helping everyone who is experiencing problems with their paint- whether it be chipping, peeling, bubbling, cracking, whatever!

I need your help in getting pictures up on these forums of the front of people's cars- whether or not you have chips. I am hoping to be able to prove to Scion that some colors are more prone to problems than others. So, if you could, post a pic up on here or do a search for paint there are several other threads regarding this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you can't/don't want to post pics please e-mail them to me veedubgirl@aol.com
Old 11-26-2004, 05:56 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

All the white dots are chips, some of them are just a bit too small to see. Also I have swirls all over(I hand wash and use only cotton terry towels) and a few areas that are scratched pretty bad. I have less than 3.5K miles. My Echo never showed this much paint damage even at 40K miles.
(Click on thumbnail to see fullsized image)

Old 11-26-2004, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member

I am having similiar problems. I hope there is help soon
Old 11-27-2004, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

I hope you have good luck with this but I don't think you will. I doubt you can prove that either the chips or the swirling is a problem with the paint. Chips come from impacts, even the best paint will chip with an impact. I've also never seen paint swirl for no reason.

That said I have BSP xb since Feb. i have almost 20k miles on it. I have only 2 chips. They both were cause by damn hard impacts from trash falling off a logging truck, other then that my front end is in perfect shape. As far as the swirling I have none. I work a 1/2 mile down a dirt road so I wash my car at least twice a week usually more in the summer. But I also keep it waxed. All I can say is I'd bet your towels are the problem. Also try to wipe in straight lines, along the body, this way any micro scratches are much much harder to see.

Sorry if I come off like a dick, but I just don't see how you would ever prove this was caused by a defect.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went to NCDS arbitration with Toyota over the out of alignment steering wheel months ago. I hope you have a good case, because *shock* the arbitrator found in their favor.

No wonder why Toyota puts that stuff in with your owners manuals and crap, it probably isn't because they're losing money helping fix people's problems with their vehicles.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spider13
I hope you have good luck with this but I don't think you will. I doubt you can prove that either the chips or the swirling is a problem with the paint. Chips come from impacts, even the best paint will chip with an impact.
What he said...
Old 11-28-2004, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right around my antenna area there is a little circle going around the antenna where paint has bubbled.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had my Tc for just over a month and I have a chip on the right quarter panel.

I will post a pic as soon as I can.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have paint chips all over my car :D too
Old 11-29-2004, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have specks all over my rear bumper on my white xB. ive looked at other peoples xB's in same color and they have that issue too. its like lil rust colored specks all over the rear bumper. i noticed them a few days after i had mine

anyone else got that also?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member

I am a detailer for a company and I too have never seen so much swirl marks on a new car before like my xB. I wash it by hand and then chamois it. I use microfibric towels to put a gloss enhancer on it too. So i know what I am doin because I have been doing it to a lot of cars over time. I know its the kind of paint there using so we need to fix this problem. BTW my xB is black sand pearl.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 1600 miles on my xB in less than a month, and it pretty much needs to be completely re-painted. I keep it VERY clean, waxed, never park near anyone or anything. But damn, this paint SUCKS, there are SO many scratches and chips, I need to re-paint the entire car, in less than a month of owning it. I'll take pics for you this week. I am going to call Scion corporate and comlain also. My mother's 97 Jaguar, which is white, has ONE paint chip in it, because it has GOOD paint and clear coat on it. The best paint is a lot more resistant to simple scratches and chips than this stuff Scion calls paint. It seems like they put about one coat on and called it a day, and then decided it really didn't need that much clear coat, just enough to make it semi-glossy.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the rust specks are brake pad material. Nothing you can do. I have a friend with an RSX having the same issue. paint chips are just that. I have that problem since I live in constructionland(chicago) and can't get away from it. Gravel trucks galore. Unless the paint officially delaminates(peels off), Scion will do nothing. Deal with it.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe they'll atleast admit that they use the crappiest automotive paint and painting process known to mankind. That would be good enough for me. I already know I need the car re-painted, after less than one month of ownership, but it'd be nice for them to atleast say "oh yeah, we just said screw it and skimped out".
Old 11-30-2004, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please please pretty please try to either e-mail me or post some pics on here. As you all know, a picture is worth a thousand words and I need to actually SHOW these people what's going on with the cars....
Old 12-01-2004, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
NM SCIONS

SL Member

i will try to take pics of my xB with the scratches & swirls too. when i see the swirls it ruins my day and doesnt make my xb look good. And i wax it a lot too but it doesnt seem to help. im thinking the clear coat is too thin, not really the paint but it could be both. also when i first had my xb the paint bubbled on the front bumper but my dealer repainted it for me but after they did that my front bumper doesnt even look good when the sun hits it. it has like perm. swilrs in it now, there is def. something wrong with the paint. but i dont see toyota doing anything bout it tho, too much $$$ but i figure if they dont do something they may lose owners and new owners know what i mean??? i dont know how to post them on scionlife but i will e-mail u them if u like. let me know.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, please e-mail them to me!! Veedubgirl@aol.com. thank you...
Old 12-01-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
NM SCIONS

SL Member

Hey i e-mailed Scion about the problem with our paint and they actually replied to me and said any defects are covered under the 3yrs.36,000 mi warranty. i will paste it later. So maybe this is good news for us.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really?? that's funny they told me these types of paint problems are normal and not covered under the paint warranty. In fact they only told me that pretty much rusting was covered for the paint..
Old 12-02-2004, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a big chip on my hood that started to rust....dealer and Scion corp. said it wouldn't be warrantied. Sounds like these people need to get their stories straight.

Quick Reply: For those of you having issues with your paint, read this!