Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Tips For Rear Bumper Applique Install???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Tips For Rear Bumper Applique Install???

I just got my rear bumper applique yesterday, and I'm dying to put it on...Question is, how hard is it to get on the bumper without screwing it up??? If anyone out there has put one on can you drop a post here and give me some tips on how to properly do it???

It came in a bag from the dealership folded in half so theres already a crease in it...I want to make sure I take all the steps necessary to get it on straight and without creases or bubbles in it

Thanks Everyone!!!

DAN
Old 06-08-2004, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I am not too sure how to help you. I would just have the dealer do it, my dealer only wants 58 dollars installed.

Sorry
Old 06-08-2004, 01:44 AM
Banned
SL Member

They folded it in half? Take it back. Seriously though, the xB rear bumper applique will be a pain when you try to wash and wax the car. If possible return it and get the cargo liner. The cargo liner has a flip out section that acts as a way to guard the bumper. It's your call ofcourse. :D
Old 06-08-2004, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Didn't it come with detailed instructions?
Old 06-08-2004, 07:38 AM
Banned

well first make sure you clean the bumper well before you apply the Applique.( use some alcohol) Then, using a guide, ( used a ruler taped to the bumper) place the applique where you want it to go. Make sure you dont put it too far left or right. I used 4 rulers raped to the bumper to show where i wanted it to go. The one i got didnt come with instructions, but myne wasnt folded :? . Good luck
Old 06-08-2004, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Nathant888
I am not too sure how to help you. I would just have the dealer do it, my dealer only wants 58 dollars installed.

Sorry
I was at the dealership yesterday and asked about the install price...The service manager quoted me $85.00 out the door to put it on...What a rip off!!! Heh, I'm going to try it myself I think before I spend that kind of money for a sticker on my bumper *LOL*
Old 06-08-2004, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by fr130
They folded it in half? Take it back. Seriously though, the xB rear bumper applique will be a pain when you try to wash and wax the car. If possible return it and get the cargo liner. The cargo liner has a flip out section that acts as a way to guard the bumper. It's your call ofcourse. :D

Seriously???Return it??? You know I thought about it getting in the way of a proper wash and wax too...Do all of the holes in it trap dirt and other grime and debris after awhile??? I also wondered about it fading after awhile and needing to be armor-alled often after washing it...

I've never seent he cargo liner, but it sounds interesting especially for loading and unloading stuff...My biggest concern is scratching the bumper itself, I didn't really get the applique for show or anything, just more of a necessity...I can be clumsy and tend to drop things *LOL*

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated

DAN
Old 06-08-2004, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by XBman
I used 4 rulers raped to the bumper :? . Good luck
I would've just taped them to the bumper, but however you want to fasten things is your bag, baby...
Old 06-08-2004, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

well first make sure you clean the bumper well before you apply the Applique.( use some alcohol) Then, using a guide, ( used a ruler taped to the bumper) place the applique where you want it to go. Make sure you dont put it too far left or right. I used 4 rulers raped to the bumper to show where i wanted it to go. The one i got didnt come with instructions, but myne wasnt folded :? . Good luck

Thanks so much for the tips I'm sure I'll have a hell of a time getting that fold out, but I think I can manage getting it together...I also heard that you can spray some sopay water on the bumper and apply the applique so you can slide it around to the desired position, and then use a heat gun to get it to lay flat...Sounds feasable, but a bit complicated IMHO...At this point, I think I might just return it for that cargo liner...I don't know, I'm confused *LOL*

DAN
Old 06-08-2004, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

this is a good start but you dont need all the rulers... if it is creased try to take it back if not this will be a pain in the ___ during install. i installed mine myself. the nite before you start you need to remove the applique from its packaging and lay it out flat. like on a clean desk, table or floor. then put a couple books over it fully covering it so that they will squish it as flat as possible this sounds stupid but its an important step then you need to make sure the bumper is clean and dust free. second you need a spray bottle and fill it like 3/4 of the way with water and then add only a drop or two of dishsoap. make sure you shake up this solution well... then spray the bumper surface liberally. before you remove any of the adhesive backing put the aplique in place. there are two screws near the latching mechanism and two small triangular cut outs in the applique these have to line up perfectly. the applique also has to be perfectly parallel to the inner edge of the bumper but not touching it about 2mm away. remove only the middle piece of adhesive backing and do not firmly stick this area down untill youre sure youve got it in the right place. then stick it down pressing from the middle to the outside, remove the sides and gently press them down going from the middle of the bumper to the outer edges...now youre prety much done but you cant forget the most important part... use your drivers license or a credit card to squeege the excess water/soap solution and air bubbles out, again starting at the middle of the applique then to the edges....

pm me if i can help any more
Old 06-08-2004, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Wow man thanks for the detailed description Again, much appreciated everyone...I'll try and get a pic posted after I get it on so I can give you all a good laugh when you see how crooked I put it on *LOL* ;)

DAN
Old 06-08-2004, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

youll do a good job dont worry about it... just take your time, keep it wet with the solution till youre done, and spend some time getting all the bubbles out... the best part is that you didnt have to throw any money away at the dealer and it feels really good to do something like this yourself
Old 06-08-2004, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dont worry about the creases. Mine was folded in half also, but when you wet the bumper down to align everything, the water soaks it and the creases disapear (assuming that the havent folded it to the point where there is a "seam." just follow the directions and you'll be fine. also, its a breeze to wash (although you can not wax it obviously.) I've had mine for about a month and dirt doesnt get trapped under the holes. Whatever material its made out of, you can put mud and whatnot on it and it will wash right out.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Sweet sounds good to me!!!

I'm going to attempt to put it on this weekend when I wash it again

Thanks again for the advice everyone, you guys rock

DAN
Old 07-24-2004, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I took one look at what I was in for trying to put the rear bumper applique on and decided I'd pay the money to the dealer and give them the headache of doing it. They installed it perfectly, no bumps, creases and it is aligned 100%. Worth the money for that one. I've found maintenance a non-issue
Old 07-25-2004, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tried to install one before on a tC and ____ed it up royally. Do as the instructions say and put the water down because if you don't you get a ton of bubbles in it and nothing gets them out.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you wet the bumper down, you have until the water dries to get it right. the adhesion doesn't take affect until then. Hell, if you think its starting to dry and your still struggling, wet it down again. Its really not hard at all.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

what works real good is the 3M clear guard you trim it to fit and apply it like the aplique. Best of all it is a lot cheaper and when you are done all you see is the paint color not the ugly black of the aplique. Cut a pattern out of posterboard first then transfer it to the 3M cleargaurd. Did it to mine the hard part was getting the shape of the posterboard right after that it was a piece of cake :D Plus you can make it cover more area than the OEM thing if you want :?:
Old 07-25-2004, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to apply stickers or appliques or any vinyl w/ adhesive backings.

use soapy water.

or any water with a surfactant so it doesn't leave a dry spot on the bumper, dip the applique in the soapy water in a bucket, apply the applique - slide it around for the correct fitment, and let it dry over night, in the morning, press it down again and it'll be done.

exact same way to apply any vinyl stickers.

a heat gun is bad since the applique is a hard plastic, it may bend, warp, or mishape.

just let it dry and then press it down in the morning. if you leave it in the sun, that's fine too.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

am i the only one who removed my bumper protector?

Quick Reply: Tips For Rear Bumper Applique Install???