Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Tow bars for xB RV four-wheel towing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tow bars for xB RV four-wheel towing?

Hey, everybody --

I've got a customer that is this close to going for an xB... he wants to know if there is an aftermarket tow-prep package that allows an xB to be towed behind his RV. I guess if you have to hit the road in a motor home it pays to bring your Scion with you! Can anybody help? Thanks a bunch,

Mr. Scion Sales
Old 01-24-2004, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

I'd suggest them buying a car dolly.... basicly a lil trailer... keeps the tires and such from wear and can get a break assit on the dolly ... just my .02
Old 01-26-2004, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Tow bars for xB RV four-wheel towing?

Originally Posted by scion sales
Hey, everybody --

I've got a customer that is this close to going for an xB... he wants to know if there is an aftermarket tow-prep package that allows an xB to be towed behind his RV. I guess if you have to hit the road in a motor home it pays to bring your Scion with you! Can anybody help? Thanks a bunch,

Mr. Scion Sales
I notice a large interest among the RV community in the xB. When I visited a "thousand trails" type resort I had several people laying under the front of the car seeing how a tow bar could be set up. Looking at it, it wouldn't be much problem.

One big disadvantage to towing the xB is that it can be flat-towed only with the stick. Also, the low skirts and easily-chipped front plastic will look bad pretty fast if it is towed without a big shield in front of it. A Rav-4 might be a better choice.

George
Old 01-26-2004, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member

Just what is Toyota's official position on flat-towing a Scion xB (manual)???

I saw in my folks' Motorhome magazine that they listed the Scions as towable, but would Toyota have warranty issues?

Do you Scion guys know?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The scion can be Dhingy towed (four wheels down) as long as it's a 5 spd. It says so in the owners manual, and I've had quite a few customers asking about it. My personal opinion (my dad has a 40 prevost motorhome that we used to tow a saturn with and take vacations in growing up)....Don't bother.

For the $$ it would cost to have a tow bar installed on the front, just buy a little trailer and use that! It's be much better for the car.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DibujoB
The scion can be Dhingy towed (four wheels down) as long as it's a 5 spd. It says so in the owners manual, and I've had quite a few customers asking about it. My personal opinion (my dad has a 40 prevost motorhome that we used to tow a saturn with and take vacations in growing up)....Don't bother.

For the $$ it would cost to have a tow bar installed on the front, just buy a little trailer and use that! It's be much better for the car.
I tend to agree, but there are some reasons why RVers would want to dispense with a trailer. It's another registration fee and it's something that has to be dealt with in the campground.

What would be really cool is a T-trailer like they used to use for dune buggies. Basically, this is a skeleton trailer with no suspension. the rear wheels sit in a cradle, using the suspension of the car for springing. The trailer wheels are just outboard of the rear wheels of the car and the front of the car rests on the pole tongue of the trailer.

see: http://www.woods-car.com/ttrailer.htm

Advantages: Trailer is light and simple. In the trailer park you just slide the long tongue under your motorhome. The car also tows very well, no sway at all. The trailer is very easy to load and unload.

Disadvantages: Lots of tongue weight, need for "boat roller" and latch on front of car to mate with trailer. Also, with a FWD car you need a little winch to pull the car onto the trailer, or, you have to put the car on backwards.

George
Old 01-28-2004, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by George
Originally Posted by DibujoB

I tend to agree, but there are some reasons why RVers would want to dispense with a trailer. It's another registration fee and it's something that has to be dealt with in the campground.

What would be really cool is a T-trailer like they used to use for dune buggies. Basically, this is a skeleton trailer with no suspension. the rear wheels sit in a cradle, using the suspension of the car for springing. The trailer wheels are just outboard of the rear wheels of the car and the front of the car rests on the pole tongue of the trailer.

see: http://www.woods-car.com/ttrailer.htm

Advantages: Trailer is light and simple. In the trailer park you just slide the long tongue under your motorhome. The car also tows very well, no sway at all. The trailer is very easy to load and unload.

Disadvantages: Lots of tongue weight, need for "boat roller" and latch on front of car to mate with trailer. Also, with a FWD car you need a little winch to pull the car onto the trailer, or, you have to put the car on backwards.

George
IMO, it'd be freaky to see someone drive a 2inch lowered scion onto that thing. i think i'd cringe with teh sound of all the scrapage.