Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Using the Clay Bay

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Using the Clay Bay

Sup guys...I've just gotten my new tC 2 weeks ago and I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to use a clay bar already when I wash my car. The reason I'm asking is because the first time I washed my car a week ago...I ran my fingers softly on the hood and it doesn't feel smooth as running your fingers on a window...I can feel a few particles already. Also, is it ok to use wax already on a new car?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:53 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

usually it takes 2 weeks until the paint formulize and then you start using the wax but it wouldnt be bad if you use it now.. so go ahead.. what wax does is keeps a shield to help the group up paint that is solid stay good
Old 07-29-2005, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you're not supposed to wax your car for like 6 months. i did mine in 2 weeks though...
Old 07-29-2005, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Way too much misinformation in these forums.

Ask a painter or paint shop about washing, waxing, and claying
your car before you listen to people in the forums.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also dont forget to post questions similar to this in the Maintenance & Care Section. They have discussed this before i believe, but i will write my post anyways HE HE...

I waxed my car 2 weeks after i got it. Was the best day ever =o) It's been almost 6 months now since i have waxed it now i am going to Clay Bar it, Polish it, and Re-Wax it. That should make it nice and shiny! and Smooth!

Old 07-31-2005, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Whats a "clay bay"?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaewon223
you're not supposed to wax your car for like 6 months. i did mine in 2 weeks though...
wrong, your car is older than you think. plus, the paint is baked onto your car, you could wax it within a week after it came out of the factory, which is in japan.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
wrong, your car is older than you think. plus, the paint is baked onto your car, you could wax it within a week after it came out of the factory, which is in japan.
Yeh, by the time your car is delivered, it's been painted and baked for several weeks. My advice would be don't use too much pressure when applying wax or glaze. A friend who owns detail shop says detailers sometimes do that, which can scratch the clear coat and the paint underneath.

Fireclay makes a great bar and lube kit with a microfiber cloth included. About $30 with shipping online. I did the clay bar treatment on my 4 year old S60, and it made the surface smooth as glass.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't know where people get this waiting months to wax a car. i actually used a clay bar and 3 step shining monkey on my car 2 weeks after i got it. it came out better then when it left the dealer.

http://ikonxone.fotki.com/car/tc/tc-02
Old 07-31-2005, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can use maguires quick detailer for your bar lube, and go to a detail shop and buy your clay, it may be a little more, but the bar is much larger and you'll be able to use it longer........if you have a costco locally, you can get a set of 12 microfiber towels for 8.00. like somebody said above, you dont need any preasure and if you do use preasure use very little, the wieght of the bar and the lubricant does the job. AND DONT DROP THE BAR, you drop it, its done, dont even think about using it, it will scratch the crap out of your car
Old 07-31-2005, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"....i actually used a clay bar and 3 step shining monkey on my car...."

Do you have video - or is this the wrong forum for that
Old 07-31-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ikonXone
i don't know where people get this waiting months to wax a car. i actually used a clay bar and 3 step shining monkey on my car 2 weeks after i got it. it came out better then when it left the dealer.

http://ikonxone.fotki.com/car/tc/tc-02
I know, what the heck? Where is everyone getting this crazy info from?? I've even heard some people saying wait 2 weeks to even WASH the car...it's crazy!!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my car on a wednesday and washed, dried, claybared, polished and waxed on that saturday and sunday.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

probabaly they are getting the information form sombody who "just" painted their car.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member

hope im not hijacking this thread but i thought i'd shed some light. Hopefully someone will find my comment useful.

RCFelix: even brand spanking new cars can need a bit of claying. Remember, once it has been painted, there is some time spent sitting and then during transportation of the vehicle to various parts of the country. During the process it is very common for your clearcoat to become contaminated.

Try using a high quality clay bar... *wink* there are a few on the market. The Shining Monkey claybar, although a bit more pricey than others is made from the best in the world. Our clay is from Japan ..it is 200grams which is double the size of most out there, it won't break apart in your hand or leave sticky residue on your paint. We are running a special on it now for ScionLife member if you are interested.

A word of advice, when claying, be very gentle and use a good spray lubricant... like ohh i dont know, the Shining Monkey D-Spec Detailer? Aggressive use and or misuse can hurt your paint instead of helping it.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lonely Raven
Way too much misinformation in these forums.

Ask a painter or paint shop about washing, waxing, and claying
your car before you listen to people in the forums.
ouch. does that include me? I mean, I got most of my education from you. my 1 yr. old BSP looks as good if not beeter than the day I got it - barring any little road chips on the barn door of a front end.

I'll keep my opinion to myself then. although, I think the two week rule is silly since your car was probably sitting in Japan, on a boat and sitting on the docks for at least two weeks before it ever hit the dealership.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Go to www.autopia.org

More info than anyone ever needs to know about detailing. Those guys are probably a bit crazy.