Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Water Spots On Glass

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

go to your local paint shop...get the finest "briillo" type metal pad....spray the glass with a bit of water and use the pad to rub them off...works great
Old 12-31-2004, 11:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I always use Stoner glass cleaner with superfine steal wool.The I just use a cotton cloth for the final rubdown.
Seems to work for me.
The water here can really wreck havic on your paint and glass if you dont dry it off after washing.Always dry your car after washing!
Old 12-31-2004, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

"Invisible Glass" and a Terrycloth towel. No streaks, no spots, no nuthin'.

As for the steel wool. . . . Use nothing less than 0000 (4 'ought') steel wool!!!
NO pressure!!! Steel wool will scratch the snot out of your glass!!!!

Here's an 'Old Detailer's tip'. . . . . .
For older cars with years of windshield wiper abuse on the glass, wash the car (as usual). Now, the glass has to be CLEAN! (No dirt, etc.)

Using "Bon Ami" cleanser and a NEW 'clean' sponge, along with LOTS of water. . . make a paste and GENTLY polish out the marks left by the windshield wipers. (And other scratches, spots.)

Keywords are:
• Lots of water on the glass.
• Bon Ami cleanser. Anything else will DESTROY the glass.
• Paste.
• NO pressure. Just the weight of the sponge, along with the paste.
• Small circles.

Finish by re-washing the glass with car-wash soap and water. Dry.

Try this on a small spot, first.

I watched an old man (a neighbor) do this to a 1964 Chevy II Nova, years ago.
That windshield came out looking like Brand New!!!
It really works!!! :D
Supposedly, Bon Ami is a 'non-abrasive' cleanser.

I remember seeing this done on 'Shadetree Mechanic' a few years ago, too.

If your car is fairly new, the "Invisible Glass" works the best of anything that I have used. NO streaks. NO waterspots. Clean glass. . . period.

Lastly, to protect my 6. . . . . This author assumes NO responsiblilty for the information contained in this posting.
The author has no control over the many variables possible, in using the above described procedures.
This posting and the procedures described are for informational purposes, only.

Keith
Old 02-01-2005, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just tried klasse all-in-one polish on the glass. It takes water spots off with some rubbing (and is non abrasive) and beads water better than rain-x.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

stoner invisible glass works miracles! plus.. the brand is STONER. couldn't get any better! hahaha.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my wife uses a combo of baking soda and hair shampoo to clean the hard water on our shower doors maybe that would work on the car as weel
Old 09-18-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Works like a charm plus it says it wont scratch your windows...id be afraid to use a brillo pad. I did it on mine and u cant even tell i had water spots.

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p23920065?sourceid=13
Old 09-18-2005, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad this thread came back from the dead... some good info.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

old clay bar will get all of that ____ off...
Old 09-21-2005, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member

White vinegar sprayed onto a flat paper towel and left on the glass for 5-10minute's should desolve the mineral deposits left from the evaporated water.

Lay paper towel on glass, pour or spray vinegar on paper towel to saturate, wait 5-10 min and clean glass with a 50/50 water alcohol mix.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^Isn't vinegar bad for plastics?

I love Stoner's Invisible Glass.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Max

we're talking about water spots on glass, not plastic. And if it is done how I said the vinegar will be held in place by the paper towel, it shouldn't drip if you don't over saturate.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

new information here.

Glass is a compound of inert silica and other substances which are -not- inert, but corrodable or leachable.

Most glass spotting owes to calcium deposits. This will yield to vinegar or other mild acidic cleaners and yield to gentle polishers.

In general: acidic substances protect glass. Some alkalines, and especially chorine, corrode glass. Literally corrode out the metallic salts which are alloyed into the glass mix.

So, if our thread opener lives in NM, don't they have alkaline dusts in the air out West? Yes, old cars from the desert states often show this condition called "sick glass".

When the surface is micro-roughened by corrosion of the glass then only polishing with proper abrasives can make a permanent fix. Polishes with silicone sure help mask lightly corroded glass. But that Bon Ami tip on previous page makes a great promise. Bon Ami is a rutile form of feldspar. Like fine pumice too, it is a soft cutting abrasive that breaks down even smaller as it is worked.

Years ago all plate glass was polished by the factories because flat glass had to be ground to flatness by rough grinding. They used pumice and water and huge buffs and lots of skill to surface the glass.

Today we can use Bon Ami, or purpose-made glass polishing kits. If you live in an area where you have glass problems I would think RainX an excellent protectant. And a vinegar wipe or frequent washing of the glass a good idea.

The fact that glass corrodes is readily observed in archetectural glass where rain splash-back tends to spoil the pane close to the concrete floor. That's not a film easily removed. Most of it will be actual pitting of the glass by the corroding effects of alkali in the concrete-splashed water.

Likewise, we know that running good glassware through the dishwasher eventually milks the surface of the glass "sick". Corrosion. The most delicate of glass is lead crystal. The high lead content of such glass gives it great clarity and weight but also makes the glass quite soft and also... lead corrodes out very easily. Old decanters are often whitened inside due to acids in the wine or brandy eating out the lead from th e silica.

BTW: Interesting tidbit. Glass is not a solid. It is properly considered "plastic". Glass flows over time and a vertical pane of glass eventually measures thicker at the bottom than at the top!
Old 09-27-2005, 05:02 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by TDIGuy04
Originally Posted by Max

we're talking about water spots on glass, not plastic. And if it is done how I said the vinegar will be held in place by the paper towel, it shouldn't drip if you don't over saturate.
You may be right, but it should be noted for those that are less careful than yourself, considering every window on the Scions are completely surrounded by vinyl or rubber. It may work great on glass, but be careful....

Originally Posted by SciFly
BTW: Interesting tidbit. Glass is not a solid. It is properly considered "plastic". Glass flows over time and a vertical pane of glass eventually measures thicker at the bottom than at the top!
Nice post, SciFly, The quoted statement explains why glass in old buildings appears wavy. It's because glass is not a solid at normal operating temperatures.