Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

What cleaning/wax/shining products do you guys recommend

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 10:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

goto a harley store and get s100 gloss enhansing paint cleanser then wax after that you will be in love
works kinda like Klasse AIO but its available locally
Old 05-26-2005, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dawn dish soap??
is this ok??
Old 05-26-2005, 12:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax
Old 05-27-2005, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read rubbing compound can be used to polish away the orange peel of our paint. Is it real? Did any of our bro here try it?
Old 05-27-2005, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by the.whoster
i use Turtle Wax Platinum Shine. it feels really really luxurius going on the car, and a super easy wipe-off.

just this past weekend i semi-detailed my car, washing, polishing, then a wax coat, plus interior vacuuming, armor-all on the vinyl and Meguiars Leather Conditioner for the seats.

For just between-wax-job shining, use the big red bottle from Meguiars. i think it's the Gold Class Detailing Spray. works rather well.

don't use wipes. use clean towels and detailing spray.

soaps: again, Meguiars, Turtlewax, either or.

a "true" detailing routine consists of:
1. wash
2. dry
3. clay
4. polish/sealer
5. wax (repeat this step as necessary)

claying...you only have to do a few times a year. when i wash, i wax my car everytime, i don't polish everytime however.

difference between polish and wax:

polish is a cutter. it smoothes out your paint, gets rid of stuff that might not have been completely washed away. (this is rub on, wipe off procedure--no drying time)

a wax is a sealer/ filler:
now that the cutter has done its job, the wax fills and seals the paint with either natural ingredients or with synthetic polymers. Polymer waxes (Meguiars NXT, TurtleWax Platinum Shine) last much longer--but natural waxes (Mother's California Gold, Zymol) have a deeper, wetter-looking shine.

for prom,

i suggest

a good, hand wash done in your driveway. (remember to keep your car WET at all times before drying...don't want water spots)

a polish job. (use Meguiars auto polish. they sell it at autozone, kragen, checker, schuks) won't take that long since the tC is tiny.

a wax detail. i really like Zymol. it comes in a bottle, it's a light blu-ish green, should be about $12. it uses vitamin-enriched natural ingredients, and the feel of the car after the waxing is truly mind-blowing....however it won't shine as long as Meguiars NXT or TurtleWax Platinum.

oh yes, remember to vacuum the car, auto-febreeze (approved by Motor Trend!), and armor all the plastic, vinyl. if you don't like the shiny glossy-ness, Armor All now offers their solutions in a low-gloss formula, but offers same protection from UV rays and what not.
stay away from the armour all products if you care about longevity. your interior will become dependant on it and if you go without using it, itll crack the surface and leave a dull gray/white finish
Old 05-27-2005, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Harman
I read rubbing compound can be used to polish away the orange peel of our paint. Is it real? Did any of our bro here try it?
its possible if the orange peel is in the clearcoat if its under it then you cant
it would take a pc or a rotary not by hand if its in the clearcoat
prolly best tho to just live with it
Old 05-27-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Mr. Clean Auto Wash with a microfiber sponge to wash.
Meguires Gold Class wax
Meguires quick detail spray
Mothers polish for the wheels
Black Magic for the tires
Meguires on the interior

Good advice above on the armor all... that stuff will actually damage your interior over time. I love the Meguires because it does not leave oily residue behind, makes the interior look clean and not too glossy and smells like a car smell, not a fruity car-scent smell. Good stuff IMO.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Meguiars NXT smells kinda fuity though................
Old 05-29-2005, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nano Wax by Eagle One , Awesome wax and polish blend . Goes on real easy and leaves an awesome shine and reduces alot of swirl marks and any haze . One down side to it , Pain in the ___ to remove but the results of it are awesome
Old 05-31-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
Meguiars NXT smells kinda fuity though................
Yeah, NXT smells like lemon. I just used it last weekend.

Zymol smells like coconut.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CELL
Originally Posted by the.whoster
i use Turtle Wax Platinum Shine. it feels really really luxurius going on the car, and a super easy wipe-off.

just this past weekend i semi-detailed my car, washing, polishing, then a wax coat, plus interior vacuuming, armor-all on the vinyl and Meguiars Leather Conditioner for the seats.

For just between-wax-job shining, use the big red bottle from Meguiars. i think it's the Gold Class Detailing Spray. works rather well.

don't use wipes. use clean towels and detailing spray.

soaps: again, Meguiars, Turtlewax, either or.

a "true" detailing routine consists of:
1. wash
2. dry
3. clay
4. polish/sealer
5. wax (repeat this step as necessary)

claying...you only have to do a few times a year. when i wash, i wax my car everytime, i don't polish everytime however.

difference between polish and wax:

polish is a cutter. it smoothes out your paint, gets rid of stuff that might not have been completely washed away. (this is rub on, wipe off procedure--no drying time)

a wax is a sealer/ filler:
now that the cutter has done its job, the wax fills and seals the paint with either natural ingredients or with synthetic polymers. Polymer waxes (Meguiars NXT, TurtleWax Platinum Shine) last much longer--but natural waxes (Mother's California Gold, Zymol) have a deeper, wetter-looking shine.

for prom,

i suggest

a good, hand wash done in your driveway. (remember to keep your car WET at all times before drying...don't want water spots)

a polish job. (use Meguiars auto polish. they sell it at autozone, kragen, checker, schuks) won't take that long since the tC is tiny.

a wax detail. i really like Zymol. it comes in a bottle, it's a light blu-ish green, should be about $12. it uses vitamin-enriched natural ingredients, and the feel of the car after the waxing is truly mind-blowing....however it won't shine as long as Meguiars NXT or TurtleWax Platinum.

oh yes, remember to vacuum the car, auto-febreeze (approved by Motor Trend!), and armor all the plastic, vinyl. if you don't like the shiny glossy-ness, Armor All now offers their solutions in a low-gloss formula, but offers same protection from UV rays and what not.
stay away from the armour all products if you care about longevity. your interior will become dependant on it and if you go without using it, itll crack the surface and leave a dull gray/white finish
So, what should we use if not armor all?
Old 06-23-2005, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any Shining Monkey fans?
Old 06-23-2005, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by aireck
dawn dish soap??
is this ok??
Yikes! No!

Dish soap is a detergent and will remove the wax from your car!
Now, if you plan on completely waxing your entire vehicle, its not a bad idea to remove the old wax by washing with a detergent, but NEVER leave it unwaxed.

My source of help on this matter was the folks at www.topoftheline.com.

I have had a friend who insisted that dishsoap was fine to use... and the results weren't pretty
Old 06-23-2005, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ what he said, use dish soap all the time and your car will be DULL.

but, if you're gonna wax it afterwards its okay, the dish soap is good at removing previous wax so that you have a fresh coat right on top of the paint.

gonna use some harsh dish soap on mine in the morning so that i can remove my last wax application, then clay bar, then meguiars car wash, then take it to the dealer (they are gonna ad a new layer of clearcoat for free)
Old 06-27-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any Shining Monkey users?